S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

May have used my "Get of of Jail Free" card!

Old 09-08-2001, 06:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default May have used my "Get of of Jail Free" card!

I was coming back from getting my hair cut yesterday. The ramp coming off of our Beltway onto I-45 (South for Houstonians) is a nice long sweeping curve and I always enjoy finding a hole to zoom into the left lane. Yesterday was no different, I made my fast (safe of course) attempt, but found a long hole in the right lane and speed up to the next car, then made two lane jumps to the left lane to get in front of a car so that I had a long run in front of me....Great fun!

Until, I look in my rear view to see a Texas State Trooper come around the behind me and pull up behind me. Of course I instinctively lifted when I saw him and then looked at my speedometer. I was at 107 mph after lifting, so I was likely at 115 mph before lifting. I pull over to the left shoulder and he pulls in behind me.

The Trooper walks up behind me and says "Sir, step out of the car." I knew he was going to take me in by the tone of his voice. On top of that, you don't see many State Troopers and when you do - they are not the ones that you want to get a ticket from!

I step out of the car, wallet in hand and hand him my DL. He asked "Is there an emergency?" I quickly said, "Yes" and had no idea what I was going to say afterward. All of a sudden, the words just flowed from my mouth....

"I'm trying to get back to my house. I got a call that my house alarm was going off and I had to leave my front door without a lock on it. The builder changed my front door today and broke the deadbolt when they were taking it out. I was coming back from getting it fixed when I got the call."

He asked, "Were the police called?" I said, "I don't know, I just took off when I got the call." He cautioned me that I wasn't going to get there that much faster driving that fast and told me to be careful.

I got out of it! Unbelievable!

By the way, this wasn't a complete lie, I did have my deadbolt in my passenger seat and my front door was exposed. I was on my way to get the deadbolt fixed.

Texans will appreciate this story...because no body gets out of a ticket from a State Trooper.
Old 09-08-2001, 06:55 AM

Doing my best Inspector Clouseau (Peter Sellers) accent . . . ... Oh, I see you are familiar with the old broken front door dead bolt ploy!!...

Face it, you gut lucky dude!
Old 09-08-2001, 07:03 AM
S2R

Very lucky. Pretty quick thinking on your part to make up this stuff as you went along. He actually bought the story, amazing. Good job.
Old 09-08-2001, 07:46 AM

Was this guy a DPS officer or did his car actually say "State Trooper" on the car. I don't know if I've ever had the pleasure (??!!) of being stopped by one of those.
Old 09-08-2001, 08:00 AM

Nice story!
My favorite story from a post a while back was someone's explosive diarrhea that they needed to get home and 'take care of' quickly.
I love reading this stuff.
Old 09-08-2001, 08:36 AM

You really did get lucky. I met some people from canada in houston one year. They had rented a car and got pulled over by a State Trooper the day before for speeding. By the time I saw them again there was a "Don't Mess With Texas" Bumper Sticker on the back of the car.

But Hey, at least you had the deadbolt to go along with your story

axcilla
Old 09-08-2001, 09:05 AM

Was this guy a DPS officer or did his car actually say "State Trooper" on the car. I don't know if I've ever had the pleasure (??!!) of being stopped by one of those.
It was actually a State Trooper, big letters. You don't see them often. I've only been pulled over one time before by one for an expired inspection sticker on the 5th of the month. Usually the give you no slack what so ever.
Old 09-08-2001, 11:09 AM

That reminds me of my younger days. I had a 340 cuda. I get on the on ramp to 610 near I10 and floor it. I am doing probably over 130 and my generator light comes on. I had a loose ground wire and if i didn't tighten it up I would drain the battery.
While I am under the hood here comes the lights. The policeman comes out and around the car and says, "I was doing 130mph and couldn't catch you. He was behind be at the on ramp. I told him I was worried about the car not making it home and I was leaving for overseas in the morning(Both true).. He let me go with a good tongue lashing...
Old 09-08-2001, 11:44 AM
CG

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Years ago I topped a hill at 110 mph with both mufflers off the car and in my trunk. A couple hundred yards down the hill was a very surprised looking cop leaning over the top of his car pointing a hand held radar gun at me. I knew he had me and I wasn't sure what to do, so I waved at him. With his mouth hanging open he waved back and just stood there looking at me as I flew by without ever slowing down. I thought he'd come after me but he didn't.
Old 09-08-2001, 12:38 PM
JRM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by S2KXLR8N
[B]I was coming back from getting my hair cut yesterday.

Quick Reply: May have used my "Get of of Jail Free" card!