S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Map sensor revisited

Old 04-23-2001, 07:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As I was leaving the mall parking lot the other day, my stook's engine started to stumble. I thought it was lousy clutch work so I compensated accordingly. Then, it stumbled again, then again. Got really worried, so I placed the car on neutral, gave it a few good revs. The moment I let go of the gas after a few revs, the car car goes down to 200 to 300rpm.

At these low rpms, the car starts to shake vigorously. The computer sensing the impending shutdown, revs the engine to 1200rpms, then let's go. It then levels off at 800 to 900rpms. As I rev the engine again to 3000rpm and then let go, the same drop to 200 to 300rpm begins again.

I go home revving the engine at a constant 2000 to 3000rpm and practically riding the clutch all the way. At a stop light, I let go of the gas and see if the stumbling begins anew. It doesn't. I get home without another stumble from the engine. I revved the engine again, everything's fine. I went around the area making sure that I'm clear of any traffic. I stop and go, stop and go -- nothing.

I read in this forum that the culprit was the MAP sensor. So, I remove my brother's CRV's MAP sensor and do the old "switcheroo." I ran his car, it's fine. I run my stook again, it's fine. WTF is happening?!?

I listened for the "tap" "tap" #4 cylinder problem. Don't hear anything out of the ordinary. I always check my oil, I know how to check the oil properly. I know I have enough oil! HELP!!!

I'm starting to lose my confidence in the car.

[Edited by IS200 on 04-23-2001 at 09:22 AM]
Old 04-23-2001, 07:16 AM

I am not sure if I would let this ruin the confidence in you car. I am not too certain what the problem is, but what I do know is that in my Maxima even when it was new, it will have it's days where it wouldn't start for a few tries and once it starts, stumbles like hell, but onces I get going it's happy. The car has 70k miles in less than 3 years and still is ok. I guess I am just saying all cars will have their days... your stook is probably ok.

-Shing
Old 04-23-2001, 08:08 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The MAP sensors on these cars seem to have intermittent problems that are solved (temporarily or permanently?) by removing (sometimes tapping the sensor) and reinstalling. That procedure (or replacement) has worked to solve numerous problems reported on this board. It solved my problem with stumbling at higher rpm. I do not know if the failure inside the sensor is electrical contact or mechanical but clearly many of the sensors have problems. I bought a new one but the old one was fine after I took it off and tapped on it.
Old 04-23-2001, 09:33 AM

I've noticed the same behavior, more often in the last 1K miles myself (7.6K now). It's nothing drastic, I wouldn't start doubting the car per say, but it gets a little annoying when the car feels like its 1 rpm from stalling for no apparent reason. I plan on doing the old remove, tap, and insert tonight. We'll see how things go.
Old 04-23-2001, 10:21 AM

I just had mine replaced at the dealer after going through several "Service Advisors". I finally got to one who said that they would replace it under warranty.

Here is a list of problems that I experienced.

1st Problem- Gasping/bogging during stop & go traffic.

2nd Problem- Driving at high revs VTEC would engage/disengage.

3rd Problem- Car wouldn't go past 7k RPMs period even after 30 minutes of driving.

All of these happen very infrequently so I can't say just yet if the MAP sensor replacement fixed everything. Only time will tell.
Old 04-23-2001, 10:26 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by joe_s2k
[B]I just had mine replaced at the dealer after going through several "Service Advisors".
Old 04-23-2001, 05:28 PM

Not on the S2k, but I have a '95 Grand Am also and this stumbling you're talking about has been happening to me lately. The car will start just fine, but when go to accelerate the engine will bog and will drop to roughly 500 rpms or so (very close to stalling, it has stalled once or twice) then the rpms will go back to normal I'll attempt to accelerate again and it will do the same thing. I'll shift into neutral and rev it a couple times, shift it back into drive and the car is fine for the rest of the trip. This only happened immediately after I have started my car. Oh, and it only happens in the spring. Does this sound like the problem y'all have been experiencing?
Old 04-24-2001, 04:49 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by cdelena
[B][QUOTE]Originally posted by joe_s2k
[b]I just had mine replaced at the dealer after going through several "Service Advisors".
Old 04-24-2001, 08:13 AM

Cdelena,

I'm not really too keen on the MAP sensor being the reason as to why our F20C engines stumble from time to time or make that ever so rarely. Why? Because this MAP Sensor is the same component from practically each and every Honda vehicle. I mean the 5v MAP Sensor made by Denso has been around for what -- 10 years?

My Bro's CRV is roughly 4 years old. My friend's 2 door Civic uses the same MAP Sensor and it is at least 4 to 5 years older than my Bro's CRV. So, we are looking at a sensor that is tried and true.

I could be wrong and it might truly be the MAP sensor that's causing all these rough idling. I just find it funny that Honda cannot seem to perfect, or at least, Denso, cannot perfect such an essential mass production item.

Personally, I think Honda compromised some engineering reliability just to produce an astronomical revving, high powered engine. Hope I'm wrong though.