S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

MAJOR S2000 Problems!

Old 06-27-2001, 12:47 PM
STL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We need a poll (that only allows users with 20 or 50+ posts to vote to help keep trolls from further skewing the results) that goes something like:
1) Never had the tranny TSB done and don't think I need to
2) Never had the tranny TSB done but am 99% sure I have the problem
3) Had the tranny TSB done with no problems since
4) Had the tranny TSB done and am 99% sure the problem is back

Anyone that isn't sure shouldn't vote because that would only lead to varying degrees of subjectivity (more than already present) and further mess up the results.

Better yet, it would be nice to know the year model and milage (and at what milage the TSB was done, if applicable) for everyone that votes!
Old 06-27-2001, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know about any other s2000,
but mine was full of problems.

Just to recap:
It had the 1-2 grind.
Took it in, and they offered to replace the clutch under one of the TSB's. I said fine.
When they took it apart, they didn't want to warranty the clutch because it was worn.
I put up a fight and they replaced that and the flywheel.

A week later, tranny came out again.
Upgraded clutch disk was very very noisy.
They put another one in and it seemed fine.

A couple of months later, rear end started making noise.
Ok, its the diff.
They had the car for a couple of weeks, trying to blame it on the springs, the rims (18s), or whatever else they could find.
Finally they replaced the diff.

Then more noise came from the rear.
They replaced the rear axles.
That fixed that problem.

A couple of months after that, the tranny started acting up again.
When cold especially, it took some play to get it out of gear.

That was it. I had enough.
I sold the damn car.

That was 3 weeks ago.

I don't know if I just had a piece of shit, or whether Honda has a problem, but judging from some of the posts, it seems like many are expriencing tranny/diff problems.
Its like flipping a coin for it. Will my car be one of the ones with problems, or will it be ok?

Just my experience.
But I guess now everyone knows why I really sold it.
Old 06-27-2001, 12:50 PM

sounds good

I vote 2 not had the work done, took it in and they refused to do the work. going to another dealer

Have 51k on the car, year 2000 bought it in Oct of 1999 number 1933
Old 06-27-2001, 12:57 PM

Originally posted by STL
We need a poll (that only allows users with 20 or 50+ posts to vote to help keep trolls from further skewing the results) that goes something like:
1) Never had the tranny TSB done and don't think I need to
2) Never had the tranny TSB done but am 99% sure I have the problem
3) Had the tranny TSB done with no problems since
4) Had the tranny TSB done and am 99% sure the problem is back

Anyone that isn't sure shouldn't vote because that would only lead to varying degrees of subjectivity (more than already present) and further mess up the results.

Better yet, it would be nice to know the year model and milage (and at what milage the TSB was done, if applicable) for everyone that votes!
That is pretty redicilous. I am a new user, so I don't get to vote? Does that mean my problems don't really exist either?? I don't know what you are smoking, but while you are doing it, don't get on here an make up stupid rules that will limit the taking of valid data. You need to devise a better system.
Old 06-27-2001, 01:06 PM
STL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DallasEngineer
[B]That is pretty redicilous.
Old 06-27-2001, 01:19 PM
Sev

[QUOTE]Originally posted by STL
[B]

Hmmm...does the Japen S2K have a different clutch?
Old 06-27-2001, 01:24 PM

I am almost reluctant to enter this debate! No, I don't own this car, (Yet) but it's pretty unsettling to see all this and wonder what my experience might be if I do take the plunge. Is there any way to get the majority of the owners to take a comprehensive poll? I know that those of you that bought this car (00 owners) bought into it based on the fact that it was a Honda product. The name alone implies quality. It was a natural "leap of faith." A poll that reflected actual facts that were filled in by better 50% of the owners here should mean something! Model year, mileage @ defect onset, all need to be included. Owner use of the car has to be included, as that has to impact engine/drive-train issues. Also modifications need to be considered and noted. If Honda keeps an eye on this board (as I am sure they must) you must give them something to work with. Throwing "grief" at each other only confuses the issues. For myself, and other future owners it's a bit different than than for those of you that bought this car on "Faith". I (we) are seeing warts and all... if we buy, we do so despite the problems noted here and seem to be throwing dice to determine if we get a "good one" or not.
Old 06-27-2001, 01:31 PM

Originally posted by Chipster
For myself, and other future owners it's a bit different than than for those of you that bought this car on "Faith". I (we) are seeing warts and all... if we buy, we do so despite the problems noted here and seem to be throwing dice to determine if we get a "good one" or not.
Well I can't speak for the '01 S2000's, I hpe they are better, but if you are considering buying a Y2K year model, you truly are throwing the dice!
Old 06-27-2001, 01:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

have you ever taken it to another dealer or shop?

I read through it, but couldn't see if you did or didn't. most problems that I've come across on this board actually stem from going to the wrong place, while others have absolutely no problem at all.

I know you blame the design and engineering of the car, but what if it was a simple problem and the place you took it to - over and over again - is merely incompetent to fix that problem?

keep in mind, that same place has had its problems in the past with services, but they have made up for it as clovis mentioned.
Old 06-27-2001, 01:56 PM

D.E.: I guess what I would expect to see in a good owner poll is that as the 00 model year changed over to the 01 model year that some problems would diminish, but as you suggest unattended "design flaws" would still be present. My intent was to look at the 02 mid way through the production run and see how, or if, there is a reduction of complaints in areas that this site has already documented. In any case Honda "HAS" to do the right thing. For your sake and others, I hope they do!

Quick Reply: MAJOR S2000 Problems!