S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

MAJOR S2000 Problems!

Old 06-27-2001, 11:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aren't the lemon laws just good up until a certain time, like during the first year of ownership?
Old 06-27-2001, 12:03 PM

Maryland is 4 unsuccessful attempts...What happened to 3 strikes???
Old 06-27-2001, 12:04 PM
STL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Sev
1. The clutch is very very weak, most cars clutches will grab easily if slipped around 2-3k, this one will not, hence the need to DUMP the clutch at high RPMs in order to get decent perfromance which of course causes drivetrain problems. (ie. differential, axles).
Hmmm...does the Japen S2K have a different clutch? I'm wondering why Mugen (such a well respected aftermarket company for Hondas) would disagree?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gregstevens
The Honda eng's were not aware of any differential problem and were taken aback by a question about it being weak. The Mugen guys, on the other hand, were not shy about stating that it is a weak link.
Old 06-27-2001, 12:07 PM

Received 805 Likes on 716 Posts

txst, your mention of six sigma brings up 2 points - 3.4 PPB failure (is that actually part of six sigma or is that your companies limit? I don't remember that particular number) is a wonderful goal. But is your company anywhere near that? Do you expect Honda to be near that? A car has several thousand parts, comprising several hundred subassemblies, a few dozen major assemblies, totaling to 1 machine. Each part is joined (by human or machine) into a subassembly, and so forth. There are a TON of places for error. A 'perfect' car isn't feasible. Go drive a typical GM or Ford and tell me the QC on those is anywhere near that of the S2000.

The second point is that neither the 1-2 grind nor the decel buzzing IS A PART FAILURE. The transmission still shifts gears (albeit annoyingly) and the tranny still transmits power.

3rd point from previous post - just because the car was released in Japan a year before in the US doesn't mean that we'll get a "bug-free" car. There ARE differences between the two.

4th point - There are HUGE differences in how these cars are driven. Some people race, some people grannie, some people beat the snot out of their cars, some don't, some people don't shift right, some people let the clutch out too slowly, etc etc etc. These can all account for why some people have major problems and some don't.

OK, I'm rambling. DallasEngineer, I feel bad for you that you have a 'bad' S2000, but the car is pretty dang good as a whole. This isn't class action material, maybe lemon law will cover you, and maybe your dealer was misleading, but it IS a car and cars WILL have problems - nature of the beast. Good luck getting your tranny fixed.
Old 06-27-2001, 12:07 PM

500 cars of 5000 is 10%
500 cars of 100,000 is 0.5%

To think that Honda or ANY other car maker does not make changes on the fly is simply denying yourself the truth. So what's my point? Do you think that Civics don't have changes made to them in the same production year? The more cars you make, the more chances you have to make changes along the fly. That's the way it is. It could be possible that the first 400 problem cars were made in the first 5000 cars in the Civic line, but in the end, Civics are very reliable because there are a butt load of them out there. But if 500 S2000 have problems then percentage wise, it looks really bad.

oh, no I don't grandma my car... never have on any of my cars.

Anyways, I am truely sorry that you can't enjoy the car as many of us here have. But you need to check out our Lemon Law. As far as I can remeber, in Texas it's 3 fix in the first year on the same problem, but you might want to check up on that to be sure.

-Shing
Old 06-27-2001, 12:15 PM

As far as lemon laws in MD is looks like i am out of luck!

First 15,000 miles or 15 months is all they do! Glad there are other benefits to MD! Although right now they don't help me with this much....
Old 06-27-2001, 12:16 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by STL
[B]Well I don't grandma my car nor do I think I'm in denial, but I don't believe there is anything wrong with my car.
Old 06-27-2001, 12:22 PM

WestSideBilly:

The basis of Six Sigma is 3.4 PPB defect rate - that is by definition what Six Sigma is. A defect is whatever you define it as. Obviously, the 1-2 was considered a defect or Honda wouldn't have issued a TSB for major surgery on the cars transmission. However a defect in terms of Six Sigma is usually defined as something that causes a customer complaint.

And yes, our company has several products with Six Sigma quality. Some thing are not at that level where it doesn't make economic sense. When I was trained in Design for Six Sigma, several examples were cited from Toyota and Honda in assemblies that they had which were BETTER than Six Sigma.

Think about it - would you get on an airplane that had engines with a failure rate of 0.5-1%? Six Sigma quality happens occurs in several industries.
Old 06-27-2001, 12:23 PM
STL

[QUOTE]Originally posted by joe_s2k
1-2 shifts @ 8500 per day.
Old 06-27-2001, 12:33 PM
STL

[QUOTE]Originally posted by fisch
[B]ppl think the stats from this site are skewed?

Quick Reply: MAJOR S2000 Problems!