S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

MAJOR S2000 Problems!

Old 06-27-2001, 11:29 AM
STL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by IS200
I believe this board is a good sampling model for tabulating the defect rate of the S2000. It might be slightly skewed since many might be over exaggerating their problems but it is still a realistic and a reliable source to represent problems with the S2.
Like I said before the messages on this forum are most likely NOT a good representation of the entire S2000 community (for many reasons). The greatest reason is that many people only look for forums like this (and post here) when the have problems. How many people search for this forum just to post messages every time their car is "okay"? It's no different than most any other forum on the internet. On other forums I frequenet (like one for Mitsubishi TVs) it's generally accepted that messages there do not accurately represent the overall community (and that problem reports are substantially higher). I'm not sure why people here cannot see this...
Old 06-27-2001, 11:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by STL
[B]I seriously doubt 50% of the S2000s sold have the tranny problem, but I agree that even if only 5% have it then that's unacceptable.

Wouldn't it be best to give Honda service one more chance to fix your problem, and if they fail then your car should qualify as a lemon (most likely).
Old 06-27-2001, 11:32 AM

In response to Shingle's post about people saying they are an engineer:

I am also an engineer (mechanical). I work for one of the largest manufacturers of air conditioners and furnaces. We manufacture our own compressors and several other parts in which tolerances are critical (pistons, rings, bearings, etc.). I have a very strong background in statistics and failure rates. I can tell everyone here that a failure rate of anything more than 1-2% is extremely high. Our company (as well as Honda and Toyota) strives to manufacture products to what is referred to as Six Sigma quality - in laymens terms that is a defect rate of 3.4 parts per BILLION. In terms of any modern manufacturing standards, the failure rate represented by the small population of S2000 owners on this board having the 1-2 grind is unacceptable. Something is going on here. Not only is the failure rate from the factory high, but so is the reoccurance after the TSB work has been completed. Anyone who tries to argue this point is crazy.
Old 06-27-2001, 11:34 AM
STL

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DallasEngineer
[B]Since I personally know 2 other people with S2000's that have had the same problems, I'd say you did get lucky on your car.
Old 06-27-2001, 11:40 AM
STL

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DallasEngineer
[B]I have had it in the shop 5 or 6 times!
Old 06-27-2001, 11:43 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by txst
[B]In response to Shingle's post about people saying they are an engineer:

I am also an engineer (mechanical).
Old 06-27-2001, 11:49 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by STL
[B]I thought you only had it in for the tranny TSB twice, but if it's already been done 3 times or more then why not explore you options with the lemon law?
Old 06-27-2001, 11:50 AM

so I guess we have Honda try to fix things 3 times and then demand a new car? I guess it is worth a try. I don't think Honda is hearing from very many of us with problems or they would have probably done something more about it.

Does anyone know how long it took Honda to come out with the two current TBS's after they were notified of the problems?

We may just have to wait until more of these problems reach the big guys!
Old 06-27-2001, 11:51 AM
STL

Originally posted by Sev
However for those who pretend that there is nothing wrong, either they are "grandmaing" the car or they are in denial.
Well I don't grandma my car nor do I think I'm in denial, but I don't believe there is anything wrong with my car. I do admit that my car is a third car, but I do drive it to work on days the chance of rain is slim (in addition to fun weekend driving). I also do at least two 1-2 shifts at 8500+rpm everyday I drive it trying to determine if my tranny needs the TSB. I admit I've grinded a time or three, but I'm fairly sure they were driver error (I have two other 5-speeds that I drive and the timing is very different between all three so sometimes my timing is just off). I'm not trying to say a tranny problem doesn't exist, but I wonder just how widespread it truly is...
Old 06-27-2001, 11:57 AM
STL

Originally posted by johev
so I guess we have Honda try to fix things 3 times and then demand a new car?
You need to check into the lemon laws for your state, but that's basically how the one's I've heard of read.

Quick Reply: MAJOR S2000 Problems!