S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

MAJOR S2000 Problems!

Old 06-28-2001, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by johev
...I have 51K and drive it daily....The 1-2 grind happens sometimes with high revs somewhere between 8300-9000.

Rear end clicking....

Johev, have you ever had the transmission oil and differential lubes changed? If not, less frction with newer lubricants may allow for cooler gear case temps and thus reduction or cessation of the grind and other noises.
Old 06-28-2001, 10:46 AM

good point!

I probably should have that done! I have been really reluctant to take the car in because of all the problems people have been having
Old 06-28-2001, 11:27 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by johev
[B]good point!

I probably should have that done!
Old 06-28-2001, 11:44 AM

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Do not get discouraged this is a great car. You may however in this case want to consider checking into your state's "Lemon Laws". You should be able to do a "arbitration" without the aid of a attorney and get the car replaced (maybe for free).

You will more than likely have to pay a "differential fee" for the difference between the value of the new vehicle and yours but you would have a brand spanking new car.

Been there (not on a Honda),

Dave
Old 06-28-2001, 12:02 PM

Alright. I really DON'T want to pull the plug on this one, since there is some super advice in here from the Members, but can we stop with some of the unnecessary crap?

Please? I'll be watching this one. If anyone has any issues, please do Email me.
Old 06-28-2001, 12:35 PM

Hey are all these problems occuring in the 2001 models as well or should I wait for the 2002 models and see if they improve
Old 06-28-2001, 12:48 PM

Wow, what a spirited discussion! So, I'll add what little value I can.

DallasEngineer has a valid reason to be angry. As much as I like my S2K, and as much as I think Honda makes quality vehicles, I cannot see any reason he should have to put up with the issues he's having.

I totally agree that 1st-year production models have more issues than subsequent years. (My aunt tells me I should never buy an odd-numbered model year car.) But come on, guys, these are some pretty serious issues. I've read about clutchs and engines (#4 cylinder) being common problems. Again, there's no excuse for this. Poor fitting bolts, clamps too close to belts, etc. are problems I might expect. I don't know what the true ratio is of cars that have problems vs. those that do not. I think that's what the real question should be.

As far as expecting better service for the price that was paid for the car, I have to agree with that one too. Yes, a conscious decision was made to purchase a car at a set price. There is, however, an intrinsic expectation that a higher priced vehicle has a better support structure in place. Many want to believe that Honda is going to do a bit more to keep the S2000 buyer happy, rather than the Civic buyer. Right or wrong, that's just the nature of a consumer. When one buys a Lexus, he/she expects that he/she will be treated better than he/she was at the Toyota dealership.

As far as a class action, I wouldn't count on it. Follow the class action suits that have been launched, and you'll see that the consumer rarely wins. (Even when they have a successful court battle, the lawyers are really the winners.)

I believe in the Honda mantra, but I do think they may have pushed this vehicle out without the quality assurance that other Honda vehicles enjoy. The improvement in the 2001 model year vehicle bears this out.

Anyway, I hope you get your issues resolved. More selfishly, however, I hope I don't have to go through this grief in the future. It's a distraction that I can live without! (I have a 2001 model year, by the way.)
Old 06-28-2001, 12:52 PM
STL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by johev
[B]good point!

I probably should have that done!
Old 06-28-2001, 12:58 PM
STL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by BondS2000
I've read about clutchs and engines (#4 cylinder) being common problems.
That's an extremely vague statement that could be interpreted in widely varying degrees. Now we know how rumors get started...
In all fairness, until we get some hard statistical data no one here (except for the AHM or HMC lurkers) really knows just how widespread the problems are (or aren't).
Old 06-28-2001, 01:01 PM

Yeah, I checked the book and they do recommend every 30k miles, it's going to get tranny and differential fluids changed this weekend

Quick Reply: MAJOR S2000 Problems!