S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

MAJOR S2000 Problems!

Old 06-28-2001, 08:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I understand DE cannot answer all of our questions, but I'm still curious if DE has spoken with or even met one of the mechanics that has worked on his car the several times he's been to the one dealership: Lute Riley.
Old 06-28-2001, 08:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by STL
We need a poll (that only allows users with 20 or 50+ posts to vote to help keep trolls from further skewing the results) that goes something like:
1) Never had the tranny TSB done and don't think I need to
2) Never had the tranny TSB done but am 99% sure I have the problem
3) Had the tranny TSB done with no problems since
4) Had the tranny TSB done and am 99% sure the problem is back

Anyone that isn't sure shouldn't vote because that would only lead to varying degrees of subjectivity (more than already present) and further mess up the results.

Better yet, it would be nice to know the year model and milage (and at what milage the TSB was done, if applicable) for everyone that votes!
I guess this is where I'm going to chime in.

I know I have the decel noise on my transmission too, but have been to lazy (don't like the dealer either) to take the car in. However, the buzzing noise is getting to be really really annoying.

I was also one of the few ppl to experience the #4 cylinder problem, but the car has been fixed and works perfect ever since. Got the shortblock replaced on my 2001 with 2800 miles. I also got my flywheel replaced at the time (for free) and should have done my clutch. Now that I have 13xxx miles, do you guys know if I can get my clutch replaced if I do the tranny TSB? Meaning do they pull out the whole tranny again, b/c I can get another freebie install. Thanks.
Old 06-28-2001, 08:56 AM

To do the tranny TSB, it is definitely removed. I also had the clutch TSB done at the same time. The car when picked up was not in good shape...and they had ordered 'bearings' for the tranny.... About 200 miles later - no 2nd gear...and reverse was getting harder (almost impossible) to get into...so back it went. When they took it apart, they decided to go for the new tranny I had asked for, and I think they also said the clutch (which they replaced...) was in bad shape....

get your 'new clutch' ready...or if you have the problem with the clutch noise, you can get that TSB done at the same time. Hopefully they will put yours back together correctly. I'm not expecting any new car (new model or not) to not have any problems...but what I evaluate is what the dealer/mfgr. do to resolve any problems.

John N
00 white/red #462

'62 fuelie vette, 65 vette (365hp), 79 vette, 94 ZR-1, Harley and the 34 ft. Formula cigarette type boat.... many toys.
Old 06-28-2001, 09:00 AM

Hey STL,
I'm new here and am quite interested in these quality issues, especially the TSBs. My '00 is very close to your VIN# and I was wondering what problems you have experienced. I get some of the loud clutch rumbling on deceleration, especially between 4 - 2K RPM, and have experienced some of the second gear grinding. I first thought the grinding was OE but now I'm thinking not. I get it just as often going down from 3rd - maybe half a dozen times total in my 6K miles. This seems to be a great little car and I hate to read these stories about my cherished new toy.

I've got the roof latch rattles but usually not a problem since most of my driving is top down.

Joser
Silver/Red
Old 06-28-2001, 09:26 AM
STL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yo joser,
I have little decel noise (around 3k rpm), but it doesn't sound like mine is as bad as yours. I have have a few grinds, but I cannot say for sure that it really was "the 1-2 grind". I know I've had a 1-2 grind shortly after starting the car...and those cannot be considered "the 1-2 grind" since the tranny really was not warmed up yet (and the ambient outside temp was only in the 70s). Unless all your grinds only happened when the tranny was really warmed up (after 20+ minutes on the highway) or when outside temp were fairly hot (like 90s+) then you must attribute them to OE.

From day one, the triangle-piece of black rubber/plastic that seals the passenger window (it's at the front of the window) was torn...I just finally got it replaced a month or so ago. So far, that's been my only problem with the car.

I have about 4something-thousand miles on my car, and I've had no problem with the roof latches. They are still pretty darn tight.

Oh, my car does seem to consume oil (and it's more noticable when I VTEC it more often) but from everything I've read hear (and elsewhere) it's common on cars until everything gets properly seated -- sometime between 5k and 10k miles.
Old 06-28-2001, 10:15 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DallasEngineer
[B]

Well, to be honest, I'm not sure exactly what to do.
Old 06-28-2001, 10:19 AM

Dallas

Your list of problems is unacceptable. If Honda can't/won't repair your car properly,take it and some cash to the dealer of your choice and buy something else. You will never be happy with your current car.Spend a little now and end the agony. Not even the s2k is worth the hassle you are going through.
Old 06-28-2001, 10:28 AM

what does this 1-2 grind act like? i know i have missed shift now and then and ground into second!! but, that was my dumb ass. so what happens?? can somone explain it?
Old 06-28-2001, 10:30 AM

Thanks STL.

All of the grinds (maybe 6) have been after she was quite warm. I think I have paid more attention lately to keeping the clutch in a little longer than I want to, but it has not been a severe problem. Perhaps if I was rodding it like some others on here it could cause some embarrassment. I really don't want to think about taking it in to a dealer to train their folks on tearing apart the tranny and clutch. I think I'll wait to get some more wear on it and on the mechanics.

Again appreciate the info. I get from this board. This is the only source until the car becomes more well known to the dealers and mechanics.

Joser
Silver/Red
Old 06-28-2001, 10:38 AM

many of you guys have hardly any miles on the car...I have 51K and drive it daily, it's the most fun to drive so why not!!

I drive it hard and am beginning to have some of these problems. The 1-2 grind happens sometimes with high revs somewhere between 8300-9000.

Rear end clicking....

Tranny buzzing, but that has subsided somewhat...did it fix itself or just stop being noisy??

While I don't think i got the worst Honda s2000 manufactured, I do wish they had build the drive train componants to be more durable!

Quick Reply: MAJOR S2000 Problems!