S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

MAJOR S2000 Problems!

Old 06-27-2001, 06:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sunchild
[B]I dare you to find a car that's better made and more fun than the s2000.
Old 06-27-2001, 08:30 PM

As I write this, I am without my car for week #3 now... still waiting for a new tranny after having the two TSB's done (clutch and 1-2 grind - they had the car 15 days that time). Following the 'repair' I lost 2nd gear completely and reverse was going also. No returning from any gear to first unless at a dead stop. What upsets me is that supposedly the dealer spoke to the 'gentleman in Japan' who designed the car. When told the customer wanted a new transmission - his reply was that he didn't care what the customer wanted. The tranny is supposedly on the way, but only due to zone intervention. To hear this really upset me. I expected more from Honda, based on their reputation... I once bought the first 'new' Bonneville SSI ('92) and had so many problems with it that GM extended the warranty (full bumper to bumper- including rental vehicle use) to 7 years/70,000 miles....

The things I like about the car are: power top, some power (not compared to my ZR-1) and good gas mileage for a driver...but I expected the "Honda" name to make it a reliable car... I was talking to a neighbor down the street last week...her accord (2 years old) auto. transmission failed and had broken motor mounts. I'm beginning to wonder about Honda's reliability.

Still driving my Saturn rental... I'm beginning to bond with it!!

I also got my car in 1999 - October. It's #462...

John N

Old 06-27-2001, 11:05 PM

What a depressing thread.
Old 06-28-2001, 05:32 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by STL
[B]

Hmmm...does the Japen S2K have a different clutch?
Old 06-28-2001, 05:40 AM
STL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by RT
You better add:
5) No problems because I drive my S2000 like a PU$$Y.
According to the person that started this thread, even driving it like a grandma doesn't make you exempt from problems:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by DallasEngineer
I totally disagree with this philosophy.
Old 06-28-2001, 05:50 AM
STL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by John N
[B]What upsets me is that supposedly the dealer spoke to the 'gentleman in Japan' who designed the car.
Old 06-28-2001, 06:04 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by jazzboss

Maybe because their drivers know how to shift gears properly... .
Please don
Old 06-28-2001, 06:32 AM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally posted by STL
According to the person that started this thread, even driving it like a grandma doesn't make you exempt from problems:
also add:

6)I drive my S2000 like a PU$$Y and still have all the problems
Old 06-28-2001, 07:16 AM

Received 5,798 Likes on 3,417 Posts

I can NOT imagine any car manufacurer being about to produce a brand new, ground up, design that does not have some "bugs" to resolve in the first few years of production -- especially year one. The only manufacturer I can think that might, is Fisher-Price but I doubt it.

This forum is a window into what is good/bad about the car. But it can NOT be statistically valid for recalls, suits, etc. It can be helpful in addressing the problem (ie, other's have it) with the local dealership or zone rep.

Instead of debating driving styles, model years, dealership quality, stat %, etc. I think our energies would be better directed at organizing the information we do have. In a much earlier post someone listed at least 10 issues that have come up. It would be nice to know the data, even though it's not statistically valid. It just makes me a more infomed owner/buyer. And it could be useful if my car does develop a similar problem.

If "trolls" entering false data is a potential problem, then set up a sub-set that screens them out. To enter data, reguire the owner to enter the car's serial number. Don't attempt to judge the driver or style. Just concentrate on what broke.

To me, this is a job for the "club management" to collectively consider and set up with input/suggestions from the members.

Anyone agree?
Old 06-28-2001, 07:18 AM

sounds like a good suggestion to me!

I would like to know what broke and what if anything has been done to fix stuff

Quick Reply: MAJOR S2000 Problems!