S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

MAJOR S2000 Problems!

Old 06-27-2001, 03:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Strike
[B]

Yeah good luck getting triple damages.
Old 06-27-2001, 03:33 PM

pnty drpr... I feel your pain, I'm about one more visit to the honda dealer away from selling mine (after this next visit which will be the axle or differential, not sure what exactly the noise is yet)
Old 06-27-2001, 03:47 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Since I haven't had any siginificant problems with my S2K I can't comment on whether Honda has fixes for these problems or not. I agree that the problems are more widespread and common than they should be if there truly were fixes, especially since some people seem to have had trouble even with the 01 model year. My question would be how come someone like me, who tracks his car, takes it up to 9k regularly, and has 30k+ miles on the car, has no problems but you have had multiple problems. I mean, obviously they can make the car relatively troublefree as many of us can attest. What is it that they can't figure out to make your car act like mine? Is it a bunch of tolerances and I'm just lucky that all mine fall within a certain range? I just don't know. If they're truly saying "There's nothing more we can do" I'd be like "Yes there is. Give me a new car." Good Luck. I hope you get it all worked out.
Old 06-27-2001, 03:59 PM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally posted by STL
We need a poll (that only allows users with 20 or 50+ posts to vote to help keep trolls from further skewing the results) that goes something like:
1) Never had the tranny TSB done and don't think I need to
2) Never had the tranny TSB done but am 99% sure I have the problem
3) Had the tranny TSB done with no problems since
4) Had the tranny TSB done and am 99% sure the problem is back

Anyone that isn't sure shouldn't vote because that would only lead to varying degrees of subjectivity (more than already present) and further mess up the results.

Better yet, it would be nice to know the year model and milage (and at what milage the TSB was done, if applicable) for everyone that votes!
You better add:
5) No problems because I drive my S2000 like a PU$$Y.
Old 06-27-2001, 04:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks DE for answering the question.

I'm sorry that you haven't taken it to another dealership. No matter how large a particular company is, they should be competent in fixing the issue. However, Lute Riley, I'm sorry to say, has failed to fix your issue, and fix another owner's issue which took many more headaches than yours if you could kindly use the search function of this site.

Because they are a "large dealership" gives them all the more power to hide behind their "large signs" out in front and the "large premium" that you paid for the car. I've been by there several times. I've seen that they sell their cars at 38K and wouldn't sell any until april/may because of the springtime premiums that they wanted to jack up on potential buyers.

A mechanic is a mechanic, and not all are a like at all. Did you ever meet the mechanic that worked on your car any of the times you have been there?

Most of the owners that have taken their cars into shops and dealerships meet with the mechanics to test that they even know what an S2000 is, and some will even go to other shops because the mechanic cannot even start the car because he didn't know about the start button.

Do you want your car fixed? or do you want your triple damages and many hours tied up by lawyers and lawsuits wasted away? If you want your car fixed, then I suggest you take it to another dealership or another shop that any of us here can recommend. That way, if another shop can actually fix your issue which is quite possible, then you can ask Honda to pay up to that shop instead of Lute Riley.

Its time to take your car somewhere else.
Old 06-27-2001, 04:26 PM

I think that if the tsb's are done correctly (mine were done 7,000 miles ago) you should be fine. Since then I have been quite happy and the car is running better and quiter then ever. I drive it hard all the time and lots ofstop and go commuting. Love to vtec.
Old 06-27-2001, 04:37 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by Schatten
Its time to take your car somewhere else.
I am not a fan of the LR dealership, but at least as far as the transmission and clutch go I don
Old 06-27-2001, 04:55 PM

Casual Observation:
I have three things that I'm into enough to go on a board and discuss. My TL100R Suzuki motorcycle, My S2K car and my Korg Triton synthesizer. Every board is the same. The car,bike,synth was great when I bought it but now it's crap. Lets sue the manufacturer string up the engineers, etc. I too have the 1-2 grind on my two month old 2001 S2K. Haven't even had it's first oil change yet. Does it bother me? Yup. Will Honda fix it? I bet they will.If you complain nicely but persistantly generally the companies will respond.I learned my lesson with Chrysler and my Town & Country. They never did fix the lemon and with every new vehicle I buy I send them a letter letting them know what the tally is so far in lost sales because they treated me like crap. ( A couple hundred K so far).
Honda does not have a reputation for ignoring their customers. It has been my experience that they are right up there as one of the best. If everyone really wants to get something done pen a letter to Car & Driver, R&T and also cc the president of HOA. If the total number of problem cars is less than 50% were still talking a few thousand letters to the car magazines with a cc to the President. I wonder if that would make a difference?
Old 06-27-2001, 05:05 PM

It really is a shame your problems have not been resolved. I would feel cheated when so many others are having such a good time.
I've driven 21,000 miles in less than a year since last August. So far the only major glitch was the AC compressor which suffered a meltdown at VTEC (engaged due to defrost mode). After replacement all has been well. When it gets hot there is an occasional grind. The tranny is loud but the combination of my noisy Yokohama A-520's, an HKS Hiper exhaust and my stereo make it a trivial annoyance. I'm still in car lust and can't stand to drive almost any other vehicle.
Sorry your experience has not been satisfactory. Find a good mechanic or you better sell your stook and find something that makes you happy.
Old 06-27-2001, 05:20 PM

I dare you to find a car that's better made and more fun than the s2000. The argument that the dealer misled you is lame. Take responsibility for your consumer discretion.

Quick Reply: MAJOR S2000 Problems!