S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

maintaining your 2002 s2k (please advise)

Old 04-13-2002, 11:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default maintaining your 2002 s2k (please advise)

To all,

When are you guys changing your oil for the first time. Right after break-in at 600 miles? what kind of oil are you using? synthetic, also after that period what is your interval of oil changes. I am learning more about my car, so please be patient and help me if you can. thanks in advance.

LIL Raja
Old 04-13-2002, 12:05 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

No offense but your questions are somewhat basic and these among others you may have can be answered by a basic search.

To answer your question though, according to Honda, you should wait the full 3,500 miles before the first oil change on this car inparticular. After that use a dino oil for your first oil change. At your second oil change around 6,500-7,000 miles you can start using a synthetic if you prefer. The reason being is that the engine rings need to set on a new engine. Dino oil helps to accomplish this process much better than synthetic.
Old 04-14-2002, 01:35 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

You know, I often see the friendly reminders to "do a search", but IMO it takes away from the community aspect of the board. I like the board not only for the information it provides, but also for the interaction. Maybe I am taking these "do a search" comments the wrong way, maybe when people write that they are really trying to save the person posing the question some time. Is that what is intended when the suggestion is made? It always kills me when someone who has been a member of S2Ki for over a year replies to a relative newbie with a response of "That topic was discussed three months ago... do a search!" If I had been on the board three months ago, maybe I would have know that it was discussed.

Personally, I have found that a search can be helpful, but it can often be a little tedious rummaging through all the results. Sometimes a quick question to the amazingly knowledgeable members of this board is a quick, direct route to the answer. If the question offends your senses, don't answer it.

As a relatively new member, I also find it useful to see the questions that are being posed. On several instances, I have come across topics that I would never have know about.

Lil Raja, keep the questions coming. You'll love the board and with time, you will learn more than you could have ever imagined about your car. Try doing a search on ZAINO!
Old 04-14-2002, 02:15 AM

Originally posted by LIL RAJA
To all,

When are you guys changing your oil for the first time. Right after break-in at 600 miles? what kind of oil are you using? synthetic, also after that period what is your interval of oil changes. I am learning more about my car, so please be patient and help me if you can. thanks in advance.

LIL Raja
I am not trying to be a smarta$$, but I would strongly recommend you read your manual from front to back. These cars have a few things that are different from the normal Honda automobile. You could also look in the FAQ section of this site for some excellent information on the car.
Old 04-14-2002, 03:01 AM

Received 330 Likes on 279 Posts

I aagree with geppetto 100%, may times using the search is a very tedius task, and if someone dosn't want to respond to a question they don't have to...luckily ,it seems most members are willing to help each other out, be it a newbe or seasoned vet.
Old 04-14-2002, 05:22 AM

To all,

LIL Raja
Did my first oil change at 4500 miles with conventional oil. Second at 8500 switching to Mobile 1 synthetic.
Old 04-14-2002, 06:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The FAQ section of this board is terrific. If you haven't discovered it yet, you've got a lot of good reading ahead of you.
https://www.s2ki.com/faqs/index.php

In Australia, you are required to change your oil right after break-in, at 600 miles (1000 km). In the U.S. you are advised to wait until you have 3,500 to 7,000 miles or one year's time. There are different mileage recommendations based on "normal conditions" or "severe conditions." Most of us normally qualify for "severe" conditions.

I don't know when you are supposed to do the first oil change in Japan or Europe, but I'd be interested to learn.

"Severe Conditions" to American Honda Motors means:
Less than five miles per trip, or in freezing temperatures, less than ten miles per trip OR
In Extremely Hot weather of 90 deg F or above OR
Extensive idling or long periods of stop and go driving OR
Driving in mountainous conditions OR
Driving on muddy, dusty or de-iced roads.

The lore on this board is to stick to petroleum based oil until 5,000 miles to allow the rings to seat properly. After that many members choose synthetic oil and many stay with petroleum based oil. While it is probably unnecessary, I think most people will change the oil at least every 3,500 miles or six months.

Check your oil at least every time you buy gasoline and document it. The manual requires you to check it at every gasoline fill-up. Some S2000 engines will surprise you with oil consumption, especially during the first 5,000 miles or with extended high rpm driving. However, even more important than this, a very few of us (under 25) have had catastrophic engine failures. Keeping the oil topped up may prevent this. Even if it doesn't, documenting full oil will maintain your warranty. Replacing and engine is a $11,000 or more proposition.
Old 04-16-2002, 11:20 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by geppetto
[B]You know, I often see the friendly reminders to "do a search", but IMO it takes away from the community aspect of the board.
Old 04-16-2002, 03:06 PM

umm. i wouldn't ask such basic questions, but my freaking dealer is an idiot. They totally forgot to give me an S2000 manual. I am so pissed. Trust me my whole deal was such an ordeal that I feel like beatiing the dealers up for it. They didn't even clean the car properly. But to make story short, going over there today to get it along with my other stuff. Thanks!

LIL raja
Old 04-16-2002, 03:17 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Raja, check the "secret compartment" (do a search LOL)

Seriously, the manual and a bunch of stuff like the keyless entry remotes are in a compartment between
the seats above the regular glove box. That's where I found mine after the dealer told me there were
no remotes for the doors

Good luck with the car, it's an amazing machine.