S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

M3 or S2k .. and prices ..

Old 08-02-2001, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default M3 or S2k .. and prices ..

I am considering an M3 and a S2k ..

M3 prices seem to be more reasonable at the moment .. i only have about 27k to spend and their are many low mile 97's in good shape for that price .. But i do love the S2k reliability ..

I plan on purchasing in the fall .. is 27k pushing what i should expect to pay for a used 00 S2k with low miles? Will it be very hard to find a deal like that in october ==> december .. would I be better off buying an m3 with this money?

Thanks!
Old 08-02-2001, 12:18 PM

The demand for S2000's in the bay area is still high, probably the highest in the country. When I was shopping for a new stook, I noticed most of the used ones were priced around 30-32K.

I thought about purchasing a BMW (330Ci) before picking up the Honda. Let me say I'm GLAD I made the right decision. I talked to several BMW owners and they told me the engine is pretty much bullet proof, but its the smaller things that tend to fail.

If 27K is your cap, you might have to search for a generous S2000 seller or maybe just go with the M3.
Old 08-02-2001, 12:35 PM

I completely agree with you about Bay Area prices .. everything seems to be just about the highest in the country here ..

That is why I am willing to shop around up to 500 miles away ..maybe even other states like Arizona, and Texas where I notice the pricing a bit more hospitable ..

Also .. private sellers seem to be letting go of the cars at much more favorable pricing .. on autotrader i found a 00 S2k in the 510 area code for 27.5 .. so im just exploring my options.

Thanks for your opinion .. ill be checking those classifieds often.
Old 08-02-2001, 12:43 PM

Hey, A friend of mine has a nice 1996 E36 M3 for sale. Ill check on mileage and price.
Old 08-02-2001, 01:57 PM

From my friend:

1996 M3
2-door
3.2L, 240hp inline 6
5-speed
Estoril Blue paint, light silver gray interior
52,000 miles, of which about 2/3 are Hwy 280
100,000 mile/7 year warranty extension (transferable)
Dinan & dealer serviced, no mods
All BMW accessories, including:
- Sunroof
- In-dash cassette, trunk-mount 6-disc CD changer
- Alarm/keyless (factory)
- Full-function on-board computer (range, consumption, ETA, temp, etc)
Two sets of wheels (original M 10-spoke, plus the M-Contour II's on the car)
Spare is a full M 10-spoke
Current tires are Bridgestone Potenza S-02pp with plenty of life left
(No cruise control installed)

$31,500, including the wheels, BMW car cover and the Garmin Street Pilot.

Pix (from when I first got the car) at:

http://ng.netgate.net/~mjkobb/M3.html

----
Old 08-02-2001, 02:24 PM

Thanks for the post .. your friends car is nice .. although a tad high priced .. maybe even for the M3 market in the Bay Area. His warranty is probably what he cites for this price .. but I just stopped by Concord BMW and saw a 97 M3 w/44k miles going or 30k certified pre-owned.

and if i had 31.5 .. id probably get a 02 S2k MSRP.

Thanks anyways though
Old 08-02-2001, 06:18 PM

31500 for a 96 M3?? Wow... If I was going to spend that much money on a used car I would look around for a 93-94 NSX... they have one here in CInci for $30k... it's very nice looking.. custom rims, exaust, lowered, I wonder if it was taken care of.
Old 08-02-2001, 06:41 PM

The answer really depends on what you want from the car. The beauty of the M3 is that you get sports car handling with the practicality of a sedan (softer ride, can haul people/stuff). The M3 is a far more forgiving car. It is easier to take to its handling limits and the abundant torque means you won't always have to hunt for the right gear. This is a good thing because I find the stock gearbox vague and indirect. As for reliability, I've had the O2 sensor replaced and had the plastic aero shroud under the radiator come loose. That's it. IMO, the E36 M3 is at the top of the sports sedan list.

The S2000 has much more of an edge. It's lighter (and feels that way), changes direction more quickly, feels more solid and has little to no body roll. The gearbox is wonderful w/ direct short throws. However, it is a less forgiving car. Which I think makes it more challenging and fun to drive. Also, a downshift is required many times if you really need to pull away. I think the S2K is still too new to determine its reliability.

Both cars make me smile after driving them. But... on a sunny day on an open road the grin is much bigger in the S2000. If there are little to no practicality considerations, I would rather have an S2000.
Old 08-02-2001, 10:57 PM

Well put comparison of the M3 and S2k .. but I must disagree regarding the reliability of the s2k compared to the M3. Maybe it's the Honda name .. but for some reason I feel considerably more secure about the reliability of an s2k over a m3.

Also with the M3 i notice a lot of little nagging problems. Nothing catostrophic .. but small leaks .. or gauges on the dash going on and off and the On board computer dying. Things such as this make the car a real drag from a "practicallity" point of view. Also makes it essential to have a warranty at all times with the M3.

You are right .. it is too early to tell how the S2k's will hold up in the long run when it comes to reliability .. but i think the people at Honda know what they are doing as far as reliability goes .. they are arguably the best in the business. Not to mention that maintenance costs are so much cheaper on a Honda then they are at those ridiculous M3 prices. But like I said in an earlier post ..these cars are both gems .. you can't go wrong with owning either one.

Later
Old 08-02-2001, 11:18 PM

I'm shocked at how maintanance free the B20C engine is. My freakin B18C1 GSR needed more maintanance?!

Quick Reply: M3 or S2k .. and prices ..