S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Lowering Driver's side seat

Old 11-02-2001, 05:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Lowering Driver's side seat

To those who are 6'4" and taller.

I took on the task of lowering the driver's side seat. It was fairly easy to do. You will need the following tools:

-Power Drill and Bolt size bit (Not sure on the measurement)
-Needle Nose pliers (For removing the seat cover)
-Ratchet and right sized socket to remove seat from floor board
-4 nuts that fit the existing side mount bolts.

1) Remove seat from floor board and pull lose the seat belt indicator wiring from underneath the seat.

2) Place seat upside down on large blanket or cloth.

3) Use needle nose pliers to remove seat cover clips. Their are several of these and can take a while to remove.

4) Remove plastic covers that hide the side mount seat bolts. These bolts connect the seat to the slide rails.

5) Pull seat cover off of seat pan and foam.

6) Use some muscle and remove seat rails from seat so that you can take the seat pan out.

7) Do some measurements and drill new holes above the old existing holes. (1 inch is about as far as I was able to lower my seat.) Make sure that you don't measure the front to be lower that the rear, because your butt will slide forward in the seat when braking hard. The heigth in the front helps hold you in your seat.

8) put everything back together and use the nuts you bought on the inside of the seat pan. The existing ones are welded on and can't be removed.

9) Put everything back together and Wa La!!!! You have a lower seat.

I hope this helps all who try it!!! Good Luck!!

It makes a noticeable difference, especially when sitting at red lights when trying to see whether the light is green or red. ha! ha!
Old 11-03-2001, 02:47 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Interesting approach. I'm only 6'1", but have a long torso, so I've also been exploring lowered seat positions. I looked into removing and altering the cushion and have lately been working on the installation of an aftermarket seat.

I can see how to move the front seat pan mounting point up on the pan to lower it, but am confused about how you lowered the rear. The rear of the seat pan is attached to the seat track with horizontal braces that are under the pan. How do you lower this part of the pan?

I don't have plastic covers over the front bolts that you mentioned in step 4). There is a plastic cover over the bolts that attach the seat back to the seat track, but this doesn't need to be removed to access either the front or rear pan mounting bolts .

I'm concerned because if you just lower the front of the pan, you will compromise the safety of the vehicle. With a lowered front, it will be easier to "submarine" under the lap belt in an accident .
Old 11-03-2001, 06:47 AM

I was giving most of this info off of memory, so you are right about the plastic covers on the front and rear. I tried altering the seat cussion 1st, and it causes a sag in the middle of the seat. I restored the seat cussion to it's original format and adjust the seat bolt hieght. Like I said before, you don't want the front of the seat to be lower than the rear. You were right in saying "Dangerous". When lowering the rear, you only raise the bolt that connects to the pan, and not the one that attaches to the seat back. It increases the gap between the bottom of the seat back and the seat pan, but is not that noticeable.
Old 11-03-2001, 07:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd love to lower my seat but that sounds a little complicated.

Do you have any pictures of the improvement?
Old 11-03-2001, 12:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the non do-it-yourselfers, contact Scott at King Motorsports. Mugen makes a seat-lowering bracket.

http://www.kingmotorsports.com/products/mu...00/interior.asp
Old 11-03-2001, 02:08 PM

I like your approach... At some point I'll have to try it.

As for the above mention of Mugen rails from King... these are only for the Mugen Bucket Seats... and not for our stockers.

Too bad.

Dan
Old 11-03-2001, 03:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry about that, my bad.
I did not read over the details I just remember seeing the pictures and that is what popped into my mind when I read this thread. Oh well, I thought I had something for you.
Old 11-03-2001, 03:53 PM

Hey CoralDoc
I agree. I also tried this concept but the rear seat pan mounts are under the seat pan. No way to lower it. I have a 2001 so maybe our rear mounting system is different. I am 6'4"with 34 inseam...tall in torso. The room is tight but OK.
Old 11-03-2001, 06:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gche37
[B]...When lowering the rear, you only raise the bolt that connects to the pan, and not the one that attaches to the seat back.
Old 11-03-2001, 10:39 PM

It's been about 2 months since this project and after reading about how wrong I sounded in certain areas, I took the seat out again today to look. You are all right! The L shaped brackets connect to the seat pan bottom on the rear. I remember what I did to lower it now. It's kind of tricky, so you have to be real precise. Take a rubber ended hammer to the bottom og the seat pan. Hit the exposed bolts as if they were nails. You have to make sure that you get both sides the same hieght or it will cause you major problems when trying to re-attach everything. The front bolts can be lowered about an inch, and you can beat the seat pan in about the same. It's a lot of work, but worth it once your through. If anyone hears of any after market brackets that fit the seats, post it here. I would love to lower the seat about 2 whole inches. Does anyone have any new ideas that doesn't require buying new seats?

Quick Reply: Lowering Driver's side seat