S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Lowering

Old 09-03-2007, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000Junky,Sep 3 2007, 03:50 AM
Interesting, I was always led to beilive they were progressive too as this was kind of a selling point for me with Eibach, but after talking with a rep on some spicific questions as mentioned earlier I was told otherwise. He said the s2000 after being droped 1 inch did not have enough wheel travel to acomidate a progessive spring, therefor to be safe and practical they gave the s a strait rate. Made sense to me but would be interesting to know if this was a douch I was talking with at Eibach or we have all been dooped. I'm not running them anymore so I guess I don't care as much as the next guy, but would be good to know.
LOL, I'm wondering the same thing. The reason we put the spring in the press was because the things don't look progressive, at at the time that was enough to convince me. However, you're the second person who I've talked to who has been told by someone at Eibach that they're not progressive, and the way we measured the spring rate wasn't exactly rigorous, so now I'm wondering again.

I do know that Eibach considers their spring rates to be propritary, which makes it hard (if not impossible) to get reliable information from them. Now I wish I'd take the time to measure the spring rates accurately.

I may be removing the Pro Kit later this year and going back to the stock springs, to get enough clearance for the oversized Sport Cups; If we do, I'll make some careful measurements of the Pro Kit springs after we take them off the car.

In a way, it's moot, because the kit works so well, but I'm curious and would like to know for sure.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:54 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

Yeah would be good to know at least for the benifit of others so they can make the right choice for themselfs. Its too bad it seems that you really have to work hard to get the right information from manufacturers for the spisific application involved and even when going through the work... can still find descrepancies.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:19 PM

I've heard and read that lowering springs can actually make the handling worse on these cars. Any truth to this? I'd really like to do it for the looks, but not at the expense of a negative effect on handling. BTW, I use my car as main transportation, spirited driving, and some autocross.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:10 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

These are the same people that argue about roll center and how fantastic the stock suspention is and you are wrong for wanting to impove the looks and handling of the car etc. I find it anoying and generaly they seem to argue for the sake of argument and will tell you to go spend your money on a driving course. I understand the consept but it really has no relivence to the majority of the people asking the these type of performace upgrade questions. My reply to your question on suspension is NO, generaly you will not ruin your handling by lowering it 1-2" with a good spring or coilover. This is my experiance as I have done both. I beilive roll center hinderence does not come into play on the s2000 with these drop numbers and so comon sense and actual driving experiance and feedback in the car from the changes I have made sais you will impove your handling by lowering the center of gravity and stiffening the suspension. Tire pressure and alighnment settings will dictate more of how well your car will handle. If you cant afford a descent coilover like a Buddy Club (race spec) then I would highly recomend the Eibach -1 pro kit. Many people including myself have had improved handling feel and apperance with this spring as well as several years with no blown shocks. Reduced shock life may result in a stiffer and shorter spring then the Eibach specs.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by s2000Junky,Sep 4 2007, 12:10 AM
These are the same people that argue about roll center and how fantastic the stock suspention is and you are wrong for wanting to impove the looks and handling of the car etc. I find it anoying and generaly they seem to argue for the sake of argument and will tell you to go spend your money on a driving course. I understand the consept but it really has no relivence to the majority of the people asking the these type of performace upgrade questions. My reply to your question on suspension is NO, generaly you will not ruin your handling by lowering it 1-2" with a good spring or coilover. This is my experiance as I have done both. I beilive roll center hinderence does not come into play on the s2000 with these drop numbers and so comon sense and actual driving experiance and feedback in the car from the changes I have made sais you will impove your handling by lowering the center of gravity and stiffening the suspension. Tire pressure and alighnment settings will dictate more of how well your car will handle. If you cant afford a descent coilover like a Buddy Club (race spec) then I would highly recomend the Eibach -1 pro kit. Many people including myself have had improved handling feel and apperance with this spring as well as several years with no blown shocks. Reduced shock life may result in a stiffer and shorter spring then the Eibach specs.
Hahaha, that was pretty blunt, but I can't say that I disagree.

Most of the people who warn about all the downsides of lowering would never consider lowering a car and hence have absolutely no experince.

Lowering does lower the CG and roll center, it does alter the dynamic alignment, and it does reduce available suspension travel and ground clearance, but it does NOT foul the handling of the car the way some believe. The car MUST be alighed after it is lowered, but with good alignment, a modest drop is not going to soil the car's handling. I don't have any experience with drops over an inch, and could not live with a greater drop (with a 2" drop my front strakes would drag the ground ), but I know for a fact that the car can be dropped an inch without degrading the handling. Just use quality products and don't try to do it on the cheap.

With a drop and aggressive alignment you can even gain a little grip, but not enough to write home about.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:49 AM

I think I tend to agree. I've never been able to respect the argument, "the engineers knew what they were doing" for not modifying a car. Not to say that the engineers didn't know what they're doing, but people have different preferences on how the car should ride / look / drive. As long as I can correct the camber so as to not run through tires a whole lot faster, I think this is something I'll do soon. In the end, if I'm not happy, I can take the stupid things right back off. It's not that big of an investment. Thanks for facilitating my thought process.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:20 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Good luck, I think you will enjoy the outcome of making the decision to improve your car