S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Losing control of the rear end?

Old 03-28-2009, 03:45 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,971 Likes on 1,757 Posts

Originally Posted by mlc,Mar 27 2009, 04:44 PM
I think there needs to be a thread stickied on what NOT to do with this car.

1. No mid corner shifts up or down. You are better holding the car in the higher gear ie: 2nd instead of shifting to 3rd until you are through the corner. You can do it but at your own peril.
2. No abrupt on or off the gas mid corner. This really upsets the car. Smooth easing on and off the gas is okay but gently. Think of squeezing on and off the gas not stabbing it.
3. No old crappy tires on the car. Damn it keep good tires on the car. Yes they cost money but not as much as pulling your car out of the woods.
4. No VTEC in the rain. Again you can do it but at your peril.
5. No big inputs. Very small inputs are best. You are not driving a camaro(no offence)

I am sure there are a lot more. Learn this car first. It is an amazing car and can do things that most cars won't and can't do and that is part of the problem. Treat it with respect and you will not have any issue and also have a hell of a lot of fun.

Kevin
Good advice here, but I like this best. Most of the twitchy rear end problems come in curves/corners (wet or dry). I've owned two S2000s, a MY00 for five years and my current one, a MY06. I'm a big believer in downshifting rather than braking, which some have disagreed with. But I do it alot in prep for turns, in coming to a stoplight/sign, and particularly on mountain roads. The only time the car got away from me a bit was on a fun, sharp local curve that I like to take pretty fast. I downshifted to second just as the car slipped on some wet leaves. But experience, which is key, enabled me to correct without spinning out. The S is a blast to drive. Just get that experience and know your car's limits and you should be good to go.
Old 03-28-2009, 03:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Artric,Mar 27 2009, 08:05 PM
I don't mean to be a jerk, but there are a lot of people that try to drive far beyond their skill level or simply are not very good at driving. This is why some in one condition can be perfectly fine while others in the exact same conditions can claim that this car is extremely dangerous.

This is why the world is dominated by FWD cars. They're safe for the un-talented or people that are simply not in tune with their drivetrain and it's connection to the road.

I'm not saying that you have to be some kind of racecar driver to drive the S2000, but... you just can't drive like 75+ percent of people out there on the roads.
well, FWD dominance is more about packaging benefits, having the transmission and engine in the same part of the car is cheaper, saves space and a less complicated design (and less fun)

the understeer/oversteer balance can be "fixed" through alignments easily enough, you can induce understeer into damn near anything (S2000 included) if you stagger the front and rear settings to a drastic enough extent. It wouldn't make the car very fun, but it would make it understeer safely

to the thread starter: if you drive the car according to traffic laws, you won't get sideways or into a spin. That means no squealing tires, no "excessive displays of acceleration", no going above the speed limit, and driving to the road conditions (slow down if there's snow, rain, etc.). If you use the same acceleration, braking and steering inputs that the rest of the traffic around you is using, then you'll never get into trouble. The S2000's handling limits are far higher than that.

the problem comes when people start to drive differently. All of a sudden they try to take corners at speeds they've never tried before, accelerating like they've never done before, and so on. Well, if you're going to do that, learn about it first at the track. Or, better yet, do it only at the track. There's less shit to hit there
Old 03-28-2009, 05:21 AM

I agree with what many others here have said. I am amazed, and pleased, with how sensitive the S is to weight transfer. Most of my auto-x spins have been on corner entry simply due to too much lift. Gentle is good, passive, not so much. At the other end, rear grip is huge on exit if you roll into the gas smoothly. Sure, stomp on it and it will spin, but send some balance smoothly to the rear and it is amazing how well it grabs and asks for more.
Old 03-28-2009, 07:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by clag,Mar 28 2009, 05:21 AM
I agree with what many others here have said. I am amazed, and pleased, with how sensitive the S is to weight transfer. Most of my auto-x spins have been on corner entry simply due to too much lift. Gentle is good, passive, not so much. At the other end, rear grip is huge on exit if you roll into the gas smoothly. Sure, stomp on it and it will spin, but send some balance smoothly to the rear and it is amazing how well it grabs and asks for more.

You are braking too late.
Old 03-28-2009, 10:19 AM

You . . . are probably right. The S seems to be cut more from the "brake hard-brake straight" cloth. Not to say that trail-braking is impossible, just that it requires keen senses and sublime footwork. That is the reason I am drawn to it, screw up and it will hang you out to dry, nail it, and you will be all grins.
Old 03-28-2009, 10:28 AM

Do your braking to slow down earlier and then use your left foot braking to keep the car balanced.
Old 03-29-2009, 06:20 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Not just MR2 - any mid engine. If it starts to drift, DO NOT LIFT!
i learned it hard way on my turbo miata.
it's so much against 20 years of FWD instincts but eventually new reflex was developed - if it looses rear traction during turn - step on the throttle !!!

i drove 2006's S2k on highway and even on a strait line it flicked to the left every time i left throtle for a gear change.....
Old 03-29-2009, 08:10 AM

I think any S2K driver who intends on exercising his car should spend some time auto-x'ing first. That's the only safe way to explore the limits.

One thing the OP has incorrect is implying that "race car" equals "tame and stable." That's not true. Most race-prepped cars would kick you @ss the first time you drive them. Just one example -- Ever push hard on R-compound tires? Not much squeal to let you know you're about to break free.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:34 AM

Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Croc,Mar 29 2009, 09:20 AM
i drove 2006's S2k on highway and even on a strait line it flicked to the left every time i left throtle for a gear change.....
Most likely a tire pressure issue, or the driver moving the steering wheel when shifting.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:55 AM

So how do you properly execute a turn?

What I'm getting from this thread is:

Stay in the same gear, at the same throttle level, throughout the full turn.

If the rear breaks loose, which may happen if you're too far down on the throttle, keep the throttle at the same position.

Is that correct so far?

What's next? Do I counter steer to bring the rear back in? Or will it find its own way?

e39m5

Quick Reply: Losing control of the rear end?