S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Losing control of the rear end?

Old 03-26-2009, 05:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Losing control of the rear end?

Ok, I'm new to this site and I've read a few articles about the rear end losing control. Is that the same thing as oversteer? I'm in the process of buying an s2000 but this problem is making me think twice. If the car was made for race driving why does it lose control so often? Shouldnt it have good control? I'm not talking about in wet or icy conditions or because someone didnt have good tires ect. I read a thread about someone saying they lost control going straight? Can someone explain to me or link me to some articles on why it happens and what you can do to avoid losing control? Its crazy to have a feeling that while driving normal going 70 or so on the freeway you can do a 360 for no apparent reason and if its wet does it mean you shouldnt drive it? That would be a real pain.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It handles well and can be very competitive in racing. It's just that it's RWD, fairly light, has a short wheelbase, is driven aggressively, and didn't have stability control for most of its life span. The AP1 suspension was also tuned to where it tends to oversteer a bit in hard cornering. These factors combined with some drivers who are used to slower FWD cars that understeer result in more accidents than usual.

There's no valid reason as to why it would suddenly spin out of control when driving in a straight line unless something fails. I think many people who spin out are driving a bit more aggressive than they say.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:45 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Short wheelbase, RWD, light, stiff rear suspension, all makes for some easy snap oversteer. But, it's not as bad as you think. Most of the stories you hear about are due to lack of control(the car and themselves) from the driver. This is an AMAZING handling car, so don't be fooled.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:47 PM

Yea if your driving casually then you should not have a problem with any Model year.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:02 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It has good control if you're a good driver.

The people who say "no apparent reason" are correct. The reason wasn't apparent... to them.

But that doesn't mean there wasn't a reason.

If you're going to go banging shifts and ham-fisting things, the car will bite you. If you don't have the money to keep it in good tires, the car will bite you.

It's like really sharp scissors. If you have butter fingers, get yourself some safety scissors instead.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:35 PM

remember, usually people post when they have the problem..

you dont normally see a thread dealing with how amazing the handling is and how they have no problems..

so when you hear a story of people spinning out randomly dont think of it happening all the time..

that may be a bit hard to understand, but think about it for a second lol
(im having a hard time explaining it)
Old 03-26-2009, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by CKit,Mar 26 2009, 06:02 PM
It has good control if you're a good driver.

The people who say "no apparent reason" are correct. The reason wasn't apparent... to them.

But that doesn't mean there wasn't a reason.

If you're going to go banging shifts and ham-fisting things, the car will bite you. If you don't have the money to keep it in good tires, the car will bite you.

It's like really sharp scissors. If you have butter fingers, get yourself some safety scissors instead.
this is the best advice you're gonna get, if you know how to drive it correctly it is extremely quick in the turns
Old 03-26-2009, 07:24 PM

Any real performance car will have over the cliff characteristics if not used properly. Remember, you are not driving an econobox.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:26 PM

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

the vtec comes on like a devil
Old 03-26-2009, 07:39 PM
Former Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I think of this car as the closest thing to a motorcycle that I've driven. Compared to an 05 ZO6 which is super easy to hang the ass end out, the S in my opinion isn't quite as easy but it's not what some people make it out to be. The car AP1&2 will reward you with a spin if you chop the throttle at speed in a corner just like some front wheel drive cars.
If you really like to drive it's an awesome car and likewise if you just like to cruise.

Quick Reply: Losing control of the rear end?