S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Loose ass on a straightaway - is my car okay?

Old 11-25-2001, 02:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He was kidding!

Look folks what's everybody say we just draw a line under this now and move on. I for one wont be carrying any baggage away from it and some good discussion has come it.

PAX!
Old 11-25-2001, 02:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cedric ....... I'm still a little new to this board and wasn't sure if it was a joke. So I defended myself. Some of the recent threads that you have posted to conserning saftey/accidents have been very informational. I only hope the fisrt time rwd car/new owners read these and take them to heart.
Old 11-25-2001, 03:10 PM

Thanks. It's nice of you to say so. What matters in the end is that we all enjoy this car safely. I don't profess to be the final arbiter in these matters. There's loads of good advice all over this board for people to heed or otherwise in the end. You can take a horse to water but you can't make it drink!
Old 11-25-2001, 03:14 PM

w1ngman, that's cool. I guess i just focused on the part that said "0-40" so I didn't think it was a big deal, but I totally understand you, balls out racing in the rain isn't smart.

for the other posts,
I thought everyone knew the inherent dangers of this car before buying it. I think motor trend described it's big con as: "jekyll and hyde handling"
Old 11-25-2001, 03:24 PM

Tom:

This car should be a very carefully considered choice!! It's a very uncompromising beast when not driven with a lot of respect in adverse conditions. That's when Mr Hyde appears.

I've got no qualms about accepting the fact that the car is a lot more capable than I am!
Old 11-25-2001, 08:46 PM

Originally posted by Sir Tom GT
If not, does going 40 in a 45 in safe conditions really require a track?
I think the point is that since the pavement was wet, conditions were not safe for a race, even to 45. (esp. w/wheel "chirping" shifts).

However, DJ did get a good thread going and I've learned something from it, being that this car's rear will tend to go right on a slide. Very good information to have in the back of my mind while driving
Old 11-26-2001, 12:56 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Barry WY Silver/Black '01
[B]

Thanks for posting 2kturkey.
Old 11-26-2001, 10:48 AM

I can also say during a wet Auto-X practice event, just after car break-in (excellent S02 tread left) that I experienced the same sort of behavior in a straight line. I wasn't even shifting. I just hit about 8K RPM in 2nd and the rear stepped out. Scared me good since I was really hauling at, what, 55 MPH?

After a great deal of experimentation (at wet Auto-X) I believe it is caused by our LSD and our peaky power delivery. We just need to know it can happen.
Old 11-26-2001, 11:01 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Penforhire
[B]I can also say during a wet Auto-X practice event, just after car break-in (excellent S02 tread left) that I experienced the same sort of behavior in a straight line.
Old 11-26-2001, 02:58 PM

There was a wet autocross that I participated in early this year - it was really pouring. they set up and oval with a slalom on one side.

After I had done about 15-20 laps (yes, they made it an open free for all as many laps as you wanted) On the straight side, on one of the laps, I took a slightly different line where one tire was going over more water than the other. The car spun around faster than I could even react - totally unbelievable that the rear end could come around so fast! And I have had spins on autocrosses and tracks before (including in an NSX).

Quick Reply: Loose ass on a straightaway - is my car okay?