S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Loose ass on a straightaway - is my car okay?

Old 11-24-2001, 04:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Back to the Big Brother thing...

To my Honda dealer and my insurance company

My name is Fred.
I have a 2002 Silver/black.
I never drive in the rain.
I never brake the speed limit.
I always shift below 4500 rpm.
I always drive on the freeway and never on curvy roads.
I haven't modified my vehicle and never will.
I will always keep my car in the garage.
I will never let my teenage son drive the car.
I will change my oil every 500 miles or every year..which ever comes first.
When I do go to the track I will only drive my wife's car.
If I do need repairs, I will only take the car to you..a Certified Honda service center.
I will buy a new S every year and trade in my old one for $2,000 below wholesale and buy the new one for $5,000 above MSRP.
I will get all my friends to buy from your dealership.
I will tell all my friends to buy their insurance from you.

If you see any posts from Statueman to the contrary...that's my brother. He's always trying to get me in trouble.

Sincerely...yours truly...Fred.
Old 11-24-2001, 06:07 PM

I've become amused about how the physical principles of rotation and momentum have been batted back and forth alot lately (including by me). Anybody an expert who would like to give us all a graduate level (but in English) primer? I think it would be helpful.
Old 11-24-2001, 08:07 PM

Originally posted by CoralDoc
As someone with training in oceanography, I couldn't leave this statement alone. You stated rotation direction backwards and the Coriolis effect does not apply to small-scale events like toilets flushing and cars driving down the road in the rain. It applies to objects travelling over long distances like oceanic currents, airplanes and cruise missles. That is why the oceanic currents in the northern hemisphere rotate clockwise and those in the southern hemisphere rotate counter-clockwise
My apologies, I really missed the boat on this one. Chinese wise-man say "Engage Brain before Open Mouth", which is what I should have done. Thanks for the correction. The sad thing is, I learned all this more than once, but had my facts all jumbled around in my head, and also forgot some important details ---> things came out totally wrong. That's what I get for watching too much TV. Damn TV. Ruining my collidge edukashun.

It's actually all pretty clear again... the one thing that wasn't mixed up was the toilet effect.. I was dead on wrong about that. I learn something everyday. But also remember that the coriolis effect is there, but just unobservable due to other more influential factors.

To everyone else, I apologize for my off-topic excursion.
Old 11-24-2001, 08:46 PM

Originally posted by statueman
Back to the Big Brother thing...

To my Honda dealer and my insurance company

My name is Fred.
I have a 2002 Silver/black.
I never drive in the rain.
I never brake the speed limit.
I always shift below 4500 rpm.
I always drive on the freeway and never on curvy roads.
I haven't modified my vehicle and never will.
I will always keep my car in the garage.
I will never let my teenage son drive the car.
I will change my oil every 500 miles or every year..which ever comes first.
When I do go to the track I will only drive my wife's car.
If I do need repairs, I will only take the car to you..a Certified Honda service center.
I will buy a new S every year and trade in my old one for $2,000 below wholesale and buy the new one for $5,000 above MSRP.
I will get all my friends to buy from your dealership.
I will tell all my friends to buy their insurance from you.

If you see any posts from Statueman to the contrary...that's my brother. He's always trying to get me in trouble.

Sincerely...yours truly...Fred.
Love it!
Old 11-24-2001, 10:00 PM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally posted by Clark

A simple Physics experiment that can be done in your garage will help illustrate the point. Take a bicycle wheel that has been removed from the bicycle. Spin the wheel, while holding the studs in either hand (so that you are looking along the tire tread as it rotates). Now, quickly turn the axis of rotation counterclockwise (push out your right hand and pull in the left). You should feel a downward force on your right hand as you do this, and this is a Coriolis acceleration associated with you moving a rotating object.

Clark
Back in my day .............. we just called that the good old gyroscopic effect.
I don't know that Mr. Coriolis and Mr. Gyro ever got it on
Old 11-24-2001, 11:16 PM

Nothing against you personally DJ, but dumb things like this really annoy me...not just because it gives my car a bad image to some, but also because the result is usually an accident...meaning higher insurance rates.

I agree with him.I am 16 and for my birthday my uncle bought me a 2002 s2000.I know im a lucky lil shit (i count my blessings).I know what your all probably thinking now~that im some little rich kid~well im not so lets get that strait.But thanx to people who wanna street race and try to top they're car out on public roads,My insurance is through the roof.Not because its a sports car but because people do stupid things and cause accidents.I dont wanna get on anyones bad side here so if you like street racing thats fine .Hell i like to go fast just like everyone else but you know what i do?? Its this funny little thing called a track! USE IT!

peace ~cha$e
Old 11-25-2001, 12:33 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Cha$e $2000
[B]Nothing against you personally DJ, but dumb things like this really annoy me...not just because it gives my car a bad image to some, but also because the result is usually an accident...meaning higher insurance rates.
Old 11-25-2001, 02:28 AM

DJ, at the end of the day the sliding to the right that you experienced has nothing to do with Coriolis effects, Northern hemisphere, driver sitting on left or road camber to the right.

Here in Australia, where all the points above are reversed, my and other S2000s slide to the right under hard acceleration- in wet OR dry conditions - exactly as you have stated. I don't know or understand why, but I do know it is a fact and nothing will change it. I have also experienced the same thing with other RWD vehicles I have driven - they all seem to slide to the right. I am guessing it is something to do with the way the differential converts the driveshaft torque through 90 degrees.

Anyway, the important point is that you are now aware of it, and, I assume you will take its effect in to account in future when attempting to accelerate hard under low traction conditions.
Old 11-25-2001, 03:09 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rasputin314
[B]

If I'm not mistaken, this experiment demonstrates conservation of angular momentum and not Coriolis acceleration.
Coraldoc's original post was correct.

Also the post about that force affecting sinks and toilets is purely urban legend.
Old 11-25-2001, 04:13 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bieg
[B]The directional spin of water down a drain is due to the coriolis effect.

Quick Reply: Loose ass on a straightaway - is my car okay?