S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Loose ass on a straightaway - is my car okay?

Old 11-23-2001, 11:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seriously I'm glad D.J. is O.K. but if everyone was just a little harder on him now, we might not be mourning him tomorrow!

No hard feelings DJ I hope we're cool!
Old 11-23-2001, 12:17 PM

Originally posted by DJ Qube
BTW, I should add that I am a professionally licensed stunt driver, and you kids at home should never try this, even with your parent's permission.
Wow, I would have thought learning the basic physics of driving would be part of getting such a license...? Really, not only should the knowledge behind such a license have provided the answer to your question, but it should have prevented the race in the first place.

Like Cedric said, no hard feelings, just a topic I feel strongly about
Old 11-23-2001, 12:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I do understand the loss of traction in the rain when throwing power at the rear wheels. My post was because I don't understand why I immediately slid to the right upon tirespin while on a flat straightaway. Why does the back of the car have preference to slide right? This has also been noted in other posts.
All of you are very valid in your criticsm, and I know I cannot defend my actions to a point where I convince you that I was right in my actions, because I myself do not think my actions were "right" in the normal sense of the word, but it is also not a good idea to drive a sports car without knowing its limits. I would rather find out what the safety limit of my car is in these relatively "safe" conditions, rather than when I'm trying to accelerate past a big rig on the freeway onramp with other cars around. I enjoy "spirited" driving, but I definitely do not enjoy or participate in reckless driving (there is a difference). If I know the limit of the car, I will gain a better sense of what I can "safely" do with the car.

Can we change the subject now? Why does the car slide to the right?
Old 11-23-2001, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DJ; Can't say for sure, but on a normal road if you were right of the centerline the"crown" would cause you to slide right. If you were left of center... I can't say.
Old 11-23-2001, 12:48 PM

Originally posted by DJ Qube
BTW, I should add that I am a professionally licensed stunt driver, and you kids at home should never try this, even with your parent's permission.
Well, DJ, if you are a professionally licensed stunt driver, why are you bothering to ask a question with such an obvious answer?
Old 11-23-2001, 12:48 PM

Also street racing and perhaps looking across at the the other car whatever, don't forget this car has very direct and positive steering and it's very easy to have a very small amount of turn 'dialled in' on the steering wheel without knowing it, any sudden input at that point, braking, gear change, acceleration can cause that dialled in factor to be involked. Coupled with the fact that the road was wet and your gear change however quick caused the weight of the car to shift forward (Off the back end) making the whole situation worse.

You can speculate all day about what caused it, it could have been a load of things, but it would have been a lot less likely in the dry.

LOL... I notiice DJ you've waited to post a couple of days, my guess is it must have been bugging you.

You know the answer go to the track. It's the best investment you'll ever make!
Old 11-23-2001, 01:00 PM

You probably slide right under hard acceleration because of your weight on the drivers side. Since there is more weight on the drivers side, the tires on that side grips better. The rear tire on the passenger side has less weight on it giving it less grip causing it to spin. The LSD tries to counteract that by sending more power to the drivers side wheel causing it to push the rear end out towards the right even when on a flat surface.. I dunno just a theory
Old 11-23-2001, 01:18 PM

My one 7K launch and my car slid left. You probably slid right because of the way your pants are cut or because of the crown on the road.
Old 11-23-2001, 01:29 PM

The way my pants are cut I have a natural tendency to slide left!
Old 11-23-2001, 02:55 PM

It could also be something as simple as difference in air pressure between your passenger and driver's side tires.

Quick Reply: Loose ass on a straightaway - is my car okay?