S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Loose ass on a straightaway - is my car okay?

Old 11-23-2001, 10:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I was racing an A4 after the rain a couple nights ago on a straightaway (wet road). I did a street launch, where he got an immediate 1/2 car jump on me, then I started pulling when I hit VTEC. I ran out first to almost 9k and shifted. Instead of the expected "chirp" into 2nd gear, my s2k ass started sliding to the right! I got skewed about 15 degrees, and it didn't feel like my tires were gonna grab, so I let off the throttle and steered out of it.

Why did this happen on a perfectly straight road???

BTW, I'm running 18" Toyo Proxes T1-S with about 5000 miles on them.
Old 11-23-2001, 10:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's what probably happened.

Your hard shift to 2nd did more than chirp the tires on the damp road. Thanks to the limited slip diff, it shocked both rear tires loose, and once broke loose, they both kept spinning. All roads have a slight crown (angle) to help water drain off to the sides.

Tires spinning on wet is similar to being on ice - very low friction. The back of the car slid down the crown of the road, thanks to the low grip in the back, and relatively high grip in the front tires.
Old 11-23-2001, 10:49 AM

I'd go along with the last post. Bear in mind also that if you went all the way to 9K revs in first gear, you're pushing the car to it's limits of acceleration anyway,on a wet road. 15 degrees doesn't sound much but I bet it was scarey.
Old 11-23-2001, 11:15 AM

D.J.

Street racing is dumb! Street racing in the wet is really really really dumb. That's all there is to it. You know it!
Old 11-23-2001, 11:30 AM

Your car is fine...but the driver could use some repairs...racing a heavy AWD vehicle in a light RWD on a wet (and probably oily) road...be thankful that you came out of it w/no damage.

Nothing against you personally DJ, but dumb things like this really annoy me...not just because it gives my car a bad image to some, but also because the result is usually an accident...meaning higher insurance rates.

1. street racing is dangerous
2. racing on wet surfaces is dangerous

If you need a connection to 3, please sell the car and save your life!

PS: by the way, there is no such thing as a "perfectly straight road"; even if the road is 100% level and 100% straight, your steering input, bumps, differences in friction levels, etc. are applying varing degrees of force which could turn your vehicle.
Old 11-23-2001, 11:32 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Cedric Tomkinson
[B]D.J.

Street racing is dumb! Street racing in the wet is really really really
Old 11-23-2001, 11:34 AM

BTW, I should add that I am a professionally licensed stunt driver, and you kids at home should never try this, even with your parent's permission.
Old 11-23-2001, 11:42 AM

DJ. Nobody should try it with or without permission. I'm sorry but the mere fact that you need to ask what caused it shows you fail to realise the inherent dangers in driving any powerful lightweight RWD car in the wet. Makes me do this----->

Note everybody it wasn't on SO2's!!!
Old 11-23-2001, 11:46 AM
Spammer

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Cedric Tomkinson
[B]DJ. Nobody should try it with or without permission. I'm sorry but the mere fact that you need to ask what caused it shows you fail to realise the inherent dangers in driving any powerful lightweight RWD car in the wet. Makes me do this----->
Old 11-23-2001, 11:50 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 4igs2000
[B]

Hey man, dont be hard on him.

Quick Reply: Loose ass on a straightaway - is my car okay?