S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Looking to start my car without pushing the clutch

Old 04-01-2006, 11:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sodaking663rd,Apr 1 2006, 10:46 AM
i don't leave my car in gear unless i'm on a huge hill. what's with all of this talk about running your kids over? give me a break.
if you could start the car without having the clutch disengaged, this means that the car would start moving the moment you tried starting it. so his point is, you get in the car, your kids are playing in the driveway, and because you want to start the car without disengaging the clutch, the car starts moving from the moment you hit start.

also, you should always leave your car in gear. the ebrake and rear brakes sometimes cool down depending on how hot they got, and the car will no longer have any braking applied, and it will roll away. do a search, this has happened several times before.
Old 04-01-2006, 11:32 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Wisconsin S2k,Apr 1 2006, 01:24 PM
do a search, this has happened several times before.
And many of those posts start off with something like this:

"I never would have believed it if it hadn't happened to me. Yeah, I know, I've read about it lots here, but I just thought it was a bunch of I wasn't even parked on much of an incline, either."
And they wonder why nobody feels sorry for them.
Old 04-01-2006, 11:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why don't you just get a automatic start for the car from your alarm I had it on my civic, cause i had to warm that thing up like crazy before I drove it. You just have to remember never to put it in gear.
Old 04-01-2006, 11:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the couple of times that's happened to me i didn't post
Old 04-01-2006, 02:22 PM

In the UK the majority of cars are manuals and not auto's. In our driving tests 99% of people will be tested in manual cars. As part of the test your are intructed to always check and make sure the car is in neutral before switching the engine on.

Some cars that come to the UK require the clutch to be depressed e.g. the 350Z, but the all Euro manufacturer cars do not require this.

I only ever leave my car in gear on a steep hill or driving very quickly - when the brakes are very hot. TBH I don't know many people who leave their cars in gear over here, but I do know that some prefer too.
Old 04-01-2006, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by moff,Apr 1 2006, 04:22 PM
In the UK the majority of cars are manuals and not auto's. In our driving tests 99% of people will be tested in manual cars. As part of the test your are intructed to always check and make sure the car is in neutral before switching the engine on.

Some cars that come to the UK require the clutch to be depressed e.g. the 350Z, but the all Euro manufacturer cars do not require this.

I only ever leave my car in gear on a steep hill or driving very quickly - when the brakes are very hot. TBH I don't know many people who leave their cars in gear over here, but I do know that some prefer too.
In the USA and Canada, the majority of cars are (though this is beginning to change a little) autos and not manuals. In our driving tests, 99.99% of people will be tested in auto cars. As part of the test you are not instructed to do anything except maybe put your seatbelt on before switching the engine on.

All cars that come to the USA and Canada require the clutch to be depressed when there is a manual tranny with a clutch.

I leave my car parked in gear ALL the time. I don't know how many people do or don't leave their cars in gear over here, but I do know that some prefer to take chances since they weren't taught correctly how to drive a manual, because most learned on an automatic and didn't get taught at all.
__________________________________________________ __________________

As you can see, the story is the same, only some words are changed. There is a vast difference between the driving mentality of people in the UK and people on "this side of the pond". Government regulations take this into account when certain safety features are "required".

PS.
but I do know that some prefer too
"Preference", regardless of the topic at hand, does not mean it's right. It just means that's what people "choose" to do. They may or may not know why they made that choice.
Old 04-01-2006, 04:01 PM

i have an auto starter in my S and the installer wouldn't disable the clutch due to liability issues, so he basically told me how to do it. there is a plug with one wire i believe that goes to your clutch pedal, just unplug it and your good to go.

good luck
Old 04-01-2006, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by xviper,Apr 2 2006, 12:10 AM
In the USA and Canada, the majority of cars are (though this is beginning to change a little) autos and not manuals. In our driving tests, 99.99% of people will be tested in auto cars. As part of the test you are not instructed to do anything except maybe put your seatbelt on before switching the engine on.

All cars that come to the USA and Canada require the clutch to be depressed when there is a manual tranny with a clutch.

I leave my car parked in gear ALL the time. I don't know how many people do or don't leave their cars in gear over here, but I do know that some prefer to take chances since they weren't taught correctly how to drive a manual, because most learned on an automatic and didn't get taught at all.
__________________________________________________ __________________

As you can see, the story is the same, only some words are changed. There is a vast difference between the driving mentality of people in the UK and people on "this side of the pond". Government regulations take this into account when certain safety features are "required".

PS.
"Preference", regardless of the topic at hand, does not mean it's right. It just means that's what people "choose" to do. They may or may not know why they made that choice.
That was exactly my point. I think we agree.

Its understandable that in the US cars are built with this 'feature' as many drivers are not familiar with manuals. The opposite is true in the UK. Actually, if you pass your driving test in the UK with an Auto you are not allowed to drive a manual and must re-sit you test in a manual.
Old 04-01-2006, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by C4SxM5,Apr 1 2006, 08:01 PM
i have an auto starter in my S and the installer wouldn't disable the clutch due to liability issues, so he basically told me how to do it. there is a plug with one wire i believe that goes to your clutch pedal, just unplug it and your good to go.

good luck
hey, you gave him the answer

this thread is about flaming
Old 04-02-2006, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by moff,Apr 2 2006, 01:35 AM
That was exactly my point. I think we agree.

if you pass your driving test in the UK with an Auto you are not allowed to drive a manual and must re-sit you test in a manual.

As they it should here, but in the land of "majority rules" .................................. we won't see it happening. Invasion of civil rights, you know. I'm surprised that those who can fly a hang glider aren't allowed to fly an airplane without training.
Maybe the day will come, but somehow doubt it. Not enough people hurt or kill by manual drivers who can't drive (or park).

Quick Reply: Looking to start my car without pushing the clutch