S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Looking to start my car without pushing the clutch

Old 04-01-2006, 01:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by drifttolga,Apr 1 2006, 02:28 AM
why do you push the clutch before starting the car?????
Because we have to. The car won't start without having the clutch depressed. Must be a North American Car thing.

Hmm...learn something new everyday. Didn't know other countries have it differently.
Old 04-01-2006, 02:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm...I've always thought it was so you could start the car in gear instead of neutral? If you started the car in gear without holding the clutch, it would stall right after you started it. I guess in other countries you guys all start the car in neutral?
Old 04-01-2006, 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by S2k007,Apr 1 2006, 03:12 AM
If you started the car in gear without holding the clutch, it would stall right after you started it.
Not necessarily.

Old 04-01-2006, 03:34 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

When cold I always press the clutch so you don't have to "start" the gearbox as well, then I "catch" the high rev spike with the clutch/gearbox.

When warm I just start without cluch in.

I DO make sure its in neutral cold or warm.
Old 04-01-2006, 04:35 AM

yep, in japan we have to push in the clutch to start the car....
Old 04-01-2006, 05:35 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Somehondaguy,Apr 1 2006, 02:59 AM
since I leave the top down in the garage most of the time, in the morning it'd be nice to reach in turn the key and hit the button, go back to making breakfast etc....
Why would you want to start the car and leave it unattended while you sit down to breakfast?

Seems like a waste of gas and extra wear and tear, not to mention a safety hazzard.
Old 04-01-2006, 05:55 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

G
U
L
L
I
B
L
E

i can say no more.
Old 04-01-2006, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by LATEOTT,Mar 31 2006, 10:31 PM
Darwin award candidate?

Hmmm....didn't have them in the old days....have them now...didn't have them in the old days....have them now. Yeah, I can't figure it out either.

Unless maybe someone did something silly like reached into their car and started it and ran over their little sister or something?
I remember a dark and stormy night, in the old days, when my clutch cable unexpectedly broke in my VW bug. I started the car in gear and drove home by shifting carefully without a clutch. I stopped at a few red lights, but that was no problem, I just pulled her into neutral, coasted to a stop at the light and started in first gear when I got the green. I got home just in time to take my baby sister in for her dialysis treatment, drove my dad over for his coronary bypass surgery and got my mom to her mammogram appointment on time. I don't know what Darwin was doing, but that old-time technology kept me warm and dry that night.

Sometimes I wonder whether the benefits of "safety features," that protect us from the actions of stupid people, outweigh the harm that results from lost function. Just a thought, not even a conclusion
Old 04-01-2006, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by mad-dog-one,Apr 1 2006, 07:38 AM
I remember a dark and stormy night, in the old days, when my clutch cable unexpectedly broke in my VW bug. I started the car in gear and drove home by shifting carefully without a clutch. I stopped at a few red lights, but that was no problem, I just pulled her into neutral, coasted to a stop at the light and started in first gear when I got the green. I got home just in time to take my baby sister in for her dialysis treatment, drove my dad over for his coronary bypass surgery and got my mom to her mammogram appointment on time. I don't know what Darwin was doing, but that old-time technology kept me warm and dry that night.

Sometimes I wonder whether the benefits of "safety features," that protect us from the actions of stupid people, outweigh the harm that results from lost function. Just a thought, not even a conclusion
that was deep
Old 04-01-2006, 07:24 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Will,Apr 1 2006, 03:16 AM
if you disable the clutch switch, you will disable your cruise control also (if you care) but I think that's the only downside.
No, it won't. I'm afraid that if you have been reading the Helm manual, you haven't read it closely enough and related it to the actual car itself. This is one part that the Helm manual is incorrect. The clutch/starter interlock and the CC defeat are not the same switch as indicated in the Helm manual. These are two different switches mounted in two different locations at the top of the clutch pedal. If you procede to the clutch pedal adjustment page, you will see that this is true. Actually, if you stick your head under the dash with a flashlight some day, this will show you even more clearly.

Getting back to the original question ................................
Yeah, you can do it, but I'll let you figure it out for yourself. I won't be responsible for you accidentally crushing your little kid one morning when you go out to fire up your "beast", only to discover that you left the car in gear and the ebrake only lightly applied. The S can fire up extremely easily and the resistence of the tranny in gear and a light ebrake won't prevent it from starting. That'll be the day when your little kid just happens to be rummaging around in front of your car looking for something just before heading off the school. Either that, or you drive the damn thing right through the wall and into your living room.
Nope, someone else can tell him and have that on your conscience.

Oh, why don't you just get an auto car starter. They'll defeat everything on the car to make that work. That way, if anything bad happens, you can take the shop to court.

Quick Reply: Looking to start my car without pushing the clutch