S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Long hello, waiting impatiently

Old 07-27-2002, 04:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long hello, waiting impatiently

Signed the papers 2 weeks ago for my '02 blk/blk, with probably a week to go for delivery. Last I heard it was off the boat in Vancouver and is probably crossing the prairies as I type. I've been lurking on the board for months now, and learned just way too much about the car for a non-owner . Obsessively reading posts ... trying to fill in the void until delivery .

Test drove the comparable convertibles SLK230 (nice roof, but auto), Z3 (wobbly chassis), Miata (fun, but regular go), Boxster (almost, but not for the $$$). Being a Honda fan already and from my internet research the S2K was top on my list already. After finally getting a test drive on a used '00, the deal was sealed. Funny how in upscale car dealers it was no problem getting a test drive on their "entry level" cars, but you have to sign over your first born to test drive a S2K at a Honda dealer. Get this, the salesman at the Porsche dealer was named Wolfgang and was a driving instructer. You can imagine what that test drive was like You know you got a special car when your loan officier wants to see the new ride and your co-workers plan the next group outing to be some hot laps in your new car Another interesting tidbit, the after hearing how much I wanted for the car loan, the personal banker actually asked me if it was for a Ferrari. The bank's biggest car loan was actually for a Ferrari ... I mean if you are getting Ferrari you should have enough coin not to need a loan .

This is going to be my first sports car, first convertible and first rwd. The plan is to just breakin, give friends some wheel time (gotta share the love) and just enjoy the car till winter. Plan to take some performance driving courses in the spring and maybe do the track thing ... gotta drive the car like it was meant to be driven right?

And for the customary first questions. All you fellow Canucks in Eastern Ontario ... Where do you get your hands on Zaino? Where can you sign up for performance driver education and what are safety the requirements?

Regards, (soon to be top down) Steve
Old 07-27-2002, 05:06 PM

Received 5,800 Likes on 3,419 Posts

Sounds like a good plan to me, except for letting my friends drive it. Only one has touched mine and he has a national comp racing license.
Old 07-27-2002, 05:07 PM

Welcome Steve!

I have to say, you are quite ballsy for intending to "share the love", so to speak, with your friends so early on! It took me a VERRRRRRY long time before I decided that someone could drive my car, and I was still watching them like a hawk

Your friends must love you.
Old 07-27-2002, 05:25 PM

Well just some very long time friends. They're more or less "car guys" and believe me I'll be keeping them from being overly enthusiastic . Anyways, I know where they live . You guys probably already know that at least some of the fun is in the shared experience.
Old 07-27-2002, 06:40 PM

I think it is best to "share" the experience behind my wheel. I would feel absolutely terrible if a friend did something to my baby. But, to each their own.