S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Limp mode.... wont rev past 3000rpm

Old 06-17-2010, 08:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Limp mode.... wont rev past 3000rpm

Okay so i just picked up a s2000 like 3 weeks ago and i've put a good 1500 miles on it since i've bought it and has run great. I left the top down for like 2 mins while it was raining because of a random passing of rain and i mean it drove fine after i had wiped it off. Then i let it sit for a couple of hours and started to drive home from work when it started to bog out and wouldn't let me rev past 3k. The cel light came on and i drove it home keeping it below 3k. I parked the car and opened the hood and let it idle and it would just die right away. So i had my friend idle it so it wouldn't die on me while he was reving it and i went and pulled on the throttle cable to rev it up and it sounded like something was hitting the head really hard. I only drove it maybe half a mile since it went into limp mode. Any ideas?

I've already searched for possible causes and people said it could be the crank position sensor. Any input would be helpful.

i'm going to go buy a scanner right now so i can pull a code.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:13 AM

get the code. also im sure the rain had nothing to do with it
Old 06-17-2010, 08:47 AM

Does not sound good if the engine is knocking.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:30 AM

Was there enough oil in the engine?
Old 06-17-2010, 09:38 AM

Sounds like u have a real issue there , wish u luck with repair.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:09 AM

I had something similar recently but after the air filter dried off (AEM V2 CAI) it ran fine and I haven't seen a CEL again.

Good luck!! Definitely pull the code and find out what it says.
Old 06-17-2010, 02:09 PM

ya get the code and post back
Old 06-17-2010, 06:15 PM

I thought long and hard about what possibly could have gone wrong because it was in fact after the rain my car started to act up. So i narrowed the stuff down it couldn't be the crank position sensor because the head or the valve cover was never off but just in case i took the valve cover off and reinstalled everything nice and snug to honda's torque specs. As i was doing this i thought hmmm people with the vafc and vortech superchargers are having a similar issue so since i wasn't s/c i narrowed it down to my vafc. I took apart my center console and took my vafc out and behold it had water in it ( i mean a lot of friggen water ). I quickly disconnected the negative terminal on my battery and i uninstalled the vafc. I saw that on the inside of it there was a big burnt mark like when a fuse blows so i thought to myself that is what is probably making my car run like crap. So i took the kicker panel off and saw the great wiring job of the prior owner of the s2000..... (sarcasm there) I re did all the wires that the vafc was connected to and after problem solved. I took it out for a test drive and got on it after letting it warm up and no more weird clinking sounds and everything was back to normal.

Thank everyone for your help and concern i can always count on s2ki for help haha
Old 06-18-2010, 05:56 AM

Mind if I ask what the hell a VAFC is?
Old 06-18-2010, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by seoul2k,Jun 17 2010, 06:15 PM
I thought long and hard about what possibly could have gone wrong because it was in fact after the rain my car started to act up. So i narrowed the stuff down it couldn't be the crank position sensor because the head or the valve cover was never off but just in case i took the valve cover off and reinstalled everything nice and snug to honda's torque specs. As i was doing this i thought hmmm people with the vafc and vortech superchargers are having a similar issue so since i wasn't s/c i narrowed it down to my vafc. I took apart my center console and took my vafc out and behold it had water in it ( i mean a lot of friggen water ). I quickly disconnected the negative terminal on my battery and i uninstalled the vafc. I saw that on the inside of it there was a big burnt mark like when a fuse blows so i thought to myself that is what is probably making my car run like crap. So i took the kicker panel off and saw the great wiring job of the prior owner of the s2000..... (sarcasm there) I re did all the wires that the vafc was connected to and after problem solved. I took it out for a test drive and got on it after letting it warm up and no more weird clinking sounds and everything was back to normal.

Thank everyone for your help and concern i can always count on s2ki for help haha
cant be any worse than the car you sold me

Quick Reply: Limp mode.... wont rev past 3000rpm