S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Limits of the S2000

Old 09-21-2002, 08:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Limits of the S2000

Ok, i plan on purchasing an S2000 in March. Seeing as how this will be my first experience driving a RWD sportscar, i am interested as to how safe it is to drive. I got most of heavy racing out of me in my SUV's (believe it or not i did race people from time to time in them lol), so i am not worried about pushing the car to its limits in corners and such. I have been reading some posts around the board about how it can get away from you very quick and this is a little unnerving. Just wondering as long as i drive it normal will i be pretty much OK, or am i getting too much car for it to be my first sportscar? Any advice or comments are wanted and welcome!
Old 09-21-2002, 08:09 PM

The S2000 was my first RWD car to, and I was a bit reluctant to really drive the car hard because of things I've read about the car being "easy" to take over the edge. But after a few weeks, that hesitation went away. For normal everyday driving the car is as easy and safe to drive as a Civic. And I drive the car pretty had, and I have yet to really come to it's limits. I'd have to try alot harder. I would recommend that you take the car to an empty parking lot on a nice rainy day, and have fun. That will teach you a lot about the cars limits, and characteristics.
Old 09-21-2002, 09:18 PM

Ok, thanks alot for the info Euclid, this is very reassuring. I'l have to go try the parking lot on a rainy day adventure, sounds like a blast
Old 09-21-2002, 11:57 PM

this is the 3rd RWD sports/sporty car that I've had, and I've yet to find it's limits as far as handling goes..

I had a 97 SVT Cobra then a 98 Corvette before the S2000.
Old 09-22-2002, 04:22 AM

Go practice at a lot of autocrosses....
Old 09-22-2002, 04:41 AM

It's very important to warm up your tires before you do any sporty driving. They tend not to grip as well when they are cold. I know because, once I was leaving work and accelerated on to the main road and the back end slid a little. Always be aware of what you are doing and you'll do just fine.
Old 09-22-2002, 05:09 AM

On well worn rear tires the back end came loose once and I ended up on the inside of the turn- in the grass. ( it could have been a lot worse) My question is with proper training can you take the car to slightly beyond it's limits and still recover? Or is the trick to know where the limits are and always stay slightly under them? There seems to be a paradox that you never can drive at the cars limits if the only way you know were that is is to run off the road. An hence you never take the car to it's limits.
Old 09-22-2002, 05:59 AM

If you know how to drive taking the S2000 to IT'S limits on the street is foolhardy as IT'S limits are so high. Most people don't know how to drive it well enough to find IT'S limits. If you don't believe me watch a Pro Race Driver drive the car and then slink humbly away. What you are really asking is if it is a safe car to drive on the street at YOUR limits. If you have never driven a high performance rear wheel drive car (especially one as sharply tuned as the S2000) do yourself a favor and take a good driving school course on car control. Skip Barber is excellent.

Front drive reactions WILL get you hurt in this car.
Old 09-22-2002, 07:00 AM

Originally posted by Bieg
If you know how to drive taking the S2000 to IT'S limits on the street is foolhardy as IT'S limits are so high. ...

Front drive reactions WILL get you hurt in this car.

If you're going to capitalize IT'S, at least spell it correctly. The word is ITS.
It's means it is. Its is possessive.

I feel better now.

Anyway, back to the post topic. Much of the snap oversteer of the '00-'01 has been eliminated by suspension changes in the '02. Now it's really only noticeable in the rain/cold.
Old 09-22-2002, 11:23 AM

Thanks alot guy for all your advice. This is going to be totally new to me since my previous cars have been automatic SUV's. I don't really plan on driving the S2K to its limits, just wondering if it is forgiving enough to drive as a first time sportscar, but you all have answered my question. Many thanks for the info!

Quick Reply: Limits of the S2000