S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Lets grind...

Old 11-09-2001, 07:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

machokow,

can you describe the driving condition when this happened? I have a 7xxx 01, no 2nd grind, but 4th poping out.
Old 11-09-2001, 07:38 AM

My 2001 had the grind (search for previous posts on it if you like), and it happened at ALL RPMs, especially when engine was hot, regardless of how hard I was pushing it.

It got worse and worse over several thousand miles.

Eventually, I got Honda to do the TSB on it, and now things are fine (for last 3k miles anyway).

There does seem to be a tolerance issue that shows up in some cars, even in some subset of the '01s.
Old 11-09-2001, 11:30 AM

-- mstw

I had just gotten off the hwy (30 min drive) and roughly 5 minutes of city driving it happened a 1 - 2 gear grind at 5K RPM. I first attributed it to driver error, but it happened again at the next 1 - 2 shift. It happened a total of 5 times. If you remember the weather was really nice yesterday (warmer) and I noticed the gearbox to be a smidge hotter then normal.

I took the car out later that evening (cooler) for a 20 minute hwy cruise and repeated the same 1 - 2 shift but could not reproduce the grind.

Hey can you explain further the 4th gear popping out?

-machokow
Old 11-09-2001, 12:00 PM

Take a look at the Poll on the success of the 1-2 Grind TSB. It's not pretty, however Sample size is small......
Old 11-09-2001, 12:07 PM

machokow,

I would go for the TSB fix on the 2nd grind, its common and had been performed probably by every dealership in this area. Better than letting them guess where and what caused the problem.

About my 4th gear, 2 scenarios had caused this to happen.

1. When I travel at constant speed between 40-50mph in 4th gear, it pops right back in neutral in a period of time.

2. My car travels either in very low rpm for gas effieciency (30mpg record high ), or it stays above 7000rpm. When its driven conservatively, 4th would pop out if enaged at around 2000rpm, sometimes right away, sometimes a couple minutes.

It happens :
When the gearbox is cold/warm/hot
Outside temperature cold/warm/hot
smooth pavement / rough pavement

It definitely is a flaw, I just have to get this into Herson's Honda's service advisor's arrogant little head.

I've changed my driving habit to avoid staying in 4th, its scary to hear the sound when that shifter pops itself out (it snaps hard). I brought this to my dealers attention, unfortunately, I have not been able to get this problem reproduced when the tech is in the car. And I did not want to leave my car in their hands for 2-3 days like they requested. My convertable top misaligned after I got it back from the first time I brought it in. I guess I have to keep complaining and hope there is a TSB out for this problem.

Losing speed in 4th at a high speed corner = disaster.
Old 11-09-2001, 12:22 PM

I notice my 02' actually shifts "better and smoother" when I shift at redline. If I shift at 2-3K, It feels kind of tight.

I guess I just have to redline it all the time.
Old 11-09-2001, 12:47 PM

I grinded mine twice when new, but I now shift slower and have had no more grind.

The 1st to 2nd syncros can work only so fast. It takes them time to match engine and transmission speeds. In my experience if you try to shift too fast the syncros will not have had enough time to match revs, so you risk a grind. So slow down your shift and let your syncros do their job.

It would be great if Honda built faster syncros. Well it would be great if the car were faster and had more HP too. I guess you can either live with it or buy something else if it really bothers you.
Old 11-09-2001, 02:11 PM

I most be the luckiest SOB on s2ki.com. The only grind I've ever experienced on my '00 was due to my clutch work (or lack thereof). I only hope my luck holds out.
Old 11-09-2001, 02:26 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by Mike Schuster
... In my experience if you try to shift too fast the syncros will not have had enough time to match revs, so you risk a grind. So slow down your shift and let your syncros do their job.

It would be great if Honda built faster syncros ....
If your theory were true (slow Honda synchros), all cars would grind. They don't (although mine does when hot). I think it is exactly what AHM engineers have said it is, a tolerance problem. If you have a box that is a little out, the collar pushes the gears together prematurely. If you have one that is fully in spec, it works all the time.
Old 11-09-2001, 02:39 PM

cdelena,

I agree, it seems from reading previous posts that some drivers have experienced this problem when shifting slow.

mstw,

I am not totally convinced that the TSB is going to fix this problem. I would really like to hear from MY 02 owners if they are having any grinding issues. Only time will tell

On a brighter note I have put another 100 miles today and did not experience any grinding issues.

-machokow

Quick Reply: Lets grind...