S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Leather Shift Boot Installation. . . Help!!

Old 12-15-2000, 04:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I attempted to install Rick's leather shift boot last night and ran in to problems. . . Though the instructions were perfect, I couldn't remove the 2 side plastic clips or the 2 front clips. . . I used a screwdriver to push them in and tried pulling on the boot at the same time. . . They didn't move.

My biggest fear is breaking the clips off (should I be worrying about this?). Incidentally, the 2 bottom clips popped right out. . .

On a related topic. . . I could pull the radio cover off either (fear of breaking it). However, I probably won't install the Rick's console cover anytime soon. . . Kinda like the carpet. . .

Old 12-15-2000, 04:52 AM
Tox

I just did this last weekend.

Make sure you've completely chipped off those two plastic plugs described in the instructions. Beyond that, I'd suggest wrapping your screwdriver with tape and working the clips gently. Use a strong light so you can see how they're moving and how far they have to go to get free.

This is the worst part of the installation, so just take it easy. Take it inside, get a cup of coffee and a light, and spend whatever time it takes. After that, it's a breeze.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.
Old 12-15-2000, 04:55 AM
Tox

Oh -- the radio door. You don't have to remove it, just release the bottom and side clips so you can slip the console cover under it.
Old 12-15-2000, 04:57 AM

check out the thread in "meets and events" section for "Meet Rick Hesel Day" if you still dont want to mess with it you can get some help at the meet.
Old 12-15-2000, 05:14 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those six clips that hold on the boot frame are the toughest part of the shift boot installation. The two nearest the armrest are the easiest -- you can leverage them out with a flathead screwdriver. The two on the sides and at the front are much tougher. I make it easier by taking a sharp utility or Exacto knife and trimming off about 1/32 along the edge of each clip. That's just enough to make them easier to release.

Release the two in the back first, and keep them released as you work (they'll want to pop back in). Release the side clips next and the two in the front last.
Old 12-15-2000, 05:57 AM

Thanks. . . I'll work on it tonight when I get home. . .
Old 12-15-2000, 05:57 AM

Iceman,

Trying to avoid breaking the clips was definitely the toughest part of the shift boot installation for me. It probably took me an hour to do the shift boot installation because I was being so careful.

The console cover, on the other hand, was very easy. Just give a good yank on the radio cover & the clips will release.

In my opinion, the console cover is the biggest asthetic improvement to the car! Thanks, Rick!!
Old 12-15-2000, 10:40 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 148 Likes on 97 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tox:
[B]
Make sure you've completely chipped off those two plastic plugs described in the instructions.
Old 12-15-2000, 10:53 AM

Be real careful getting those clips undone. I cut my thumb open when i slipped with the screw driver. Didn't get any blood on the boot or console though!
Old 12-15-2000, 11:10 AM

Once you get the console piece separated to allow you to remove the old boot and replace it with the new one, be super, extra careful with the little plastic "teats" which run around the edge of the boot mount. I was very careful and still broke two of them off... no big deal if a few go, but the fewer the better...

Hey Rick, did you get anywhere in your consideration of wood or plastic side panels for the console cover? I haven't put mine in yet, and I am concerned about the sides coming undone, having wrinkles, or just looking tacked on.

Quick Reply: Leather Shift Boot Installation. . . Help!!