S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Leather Dye/repair

Old 07-19-2004, 08:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I priced a recover for my seat in an Infiniti. About $250 per seat. $500-800 is a good guestimate for both seats depending on the quality of leather.
Old 07-19-2004, 08:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah yes, another leather topic...lets see if I can help.

What you leather is...it is a leather hide which is dyed red, then there is a pigment color coat sprayed onto the surface, followed by a protective top coat.

When you wear through it as most people do on the bolsters after time, you have gone through the finish and need to have it repaired.

Here is the thing about high end vs. low end leather. The higher end, normally the softer due to less finish on the surface. It will wear more quickly than a heavily finished low-end leather, but it feels a lot better.

Improper cleaners and conditioner can certainly shorten the life of your leather, especially in those high wear areas like the bolsters by actually weakening the finish. This is why it is so important to use the right products on your leather. We have found several cleaners over the years that people seem to think are good because of the name brand, but truly are not formulated correctly and will hurt the leather. Only use products specifically made for leather on your leather. The Leather Institute/Townsend Leather Company (what all of Rick's Leather Accessories are made of...he carries the Townsend Products too) carries a complete line of products for maintaining your seats. Stay away from armor all, saddle soap, mother's and only use 303 on your non-leather parts. My personal all time favorite is the Cleaner, Conditioner, and Protector product from The Leather Institute, it even makes your car smell good like new leather.

The finish can be re-applied, (called refinishing, there is really no such thing as re-dyeing auto leather). The Leather Institute, has products that can replace the finish that just about anyone can use (Rub-In Colors) and this will definitely make a difference, but if you really want to make it look like new (and I mean it will look like 100% new), it should be done by a professional.

If you are considering recovering your seats, I have seen anywhere from $300 on up per seat done in the right leather and stitched correctly. Make sure to use an upholsterer that is familiar with leather work because it is much different than sewing fabric.