S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Lease special from Honda

Old 07-01-2005, 09:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i lease, especially sports cars like S2000, b/c i can drive it like i stole it everyday (and on the track) and not worry about long term reliability, dont get super anal & crazy about little rock chips, dings & scratches a moving car is bound to accumulate over the years. oh yeah, always having full warranty is super nice. plus why own a same car for 6-8+ years??? i want to move on to something new every few years, especially sports cars. and i'm done trying to sell cars privately dealing w/ joyriding fanbois, scam artists & lowballers.

and i'm paying only $290 per month tax included and no downpayment, so it's all good!
Old 07-01-2005, 09:10 AM

1. A 10 year old Honda is not expensive to maintain or antique!

2. If the leasor was concerned with depreciation, they wouldn't be offereing the terms that they do...

3. Gap insurance is unneccessary if you put a big enough down payment, don't go 84 months, and don't get crappy cars...

4. Drugs and street racing sounds like a personal problem...
Old 07-01-2005, 10:26 AM

What? Of course they can seize a leased vehicle. If they couldn't, don't you think drug smugglers would just lease cars?
Old 07-01-2005, 10:52 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonw,Jul 1 2005, 09:10 AM
3. Gap insurance is unneccessary if you put a big enough down payment, don't go 84 months, and don't get crappy cars...
true!

do a 60 year loan on a honda and you will likely be upside down about 2 years or so.

Do a 60 year loan on a chevy and you're looking at 3.5 years "upside down" time. The "employee discounts" are gutting the used domestic market even more than they already were.
Old 07-01-2005, 10:55 AM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2004S2000,Jul 1 2005, 12:27 PM
This conversation has not touched on 1) warranty coverage 2) resale trade in losses, 3) gap insurance, 4) seizure protection.
I don't know about the seizure part - I would think they would just call the leasing company and have them pick it up, but everything else you stated is

jasonw - I respect your opinion, but I just don't see your argument
Old 07-01-2005, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by jasonw,Jun 30 2005, 08:48 PM
Ah people! You act like the dealerships offer leases out of the kindness of their heart. If leases weren't more profitable than loans, they wouldn't be offering them!

You gotta at least be honest with yourself and understand you are paying extra to avoid the hassle of selling it when you are done. Or you are subjecting yourself to endless monthly payments by not driving a paid off car and not wanting to pay the higher pmts for a loan even though it will eventually end and you will still have a car.
Leases AREN'T more profitable to the dealership in regards to the amount they make on each sale.

The upside for the dealership to lease is that now they know you are either going to return the car and lease another one or buy that car. If the dealership treats you right chances are you'll go back to them. Lease another car and they win. Another new car off the lot for them and another used car into their inventory for people afraid to lease or buy new. Buy that leased car and they've sold one car twice to the same person.
Old 07-01-2005, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by temin,Jul 1 2005, 12:39 PM
Leases AREN'T more profitable to the dealership in regards to the amount they make on each sale.
If you pay cash, you pay no finance charges. The dealership makes more when you pay more finance charges/interest. We can go over numbers all day long but, the finance charges will be > than the loan interest for the term of the lease as long as you find a decent rate.

Leases are a tool dealers use for people to get their monthly payment down plain and simple. That's not so bad except that you'll be making payments forever if you always lease... The house always wins...
Old 07-01-2005, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by jasonw,Jul 1 2005, 10:10 AM
If you pay cash, you pay no finance charges. The dealership makes more when you pay more finance charges/interest. We can go over numbers all day long but, the finance charges will be > than the loan interest for the term of the lease as long as you find a decent rate.

Leases are a tool dealers use for people to get their monthly payment down plain and simple. That's not so bad except that you'll be making payments forever if you always lease... The house always wins...
You make it sound like "payments forever" are a bad thing. You also spend more time in a newer car under warranty. Most people in the car business lease or the drive a 'beater". You don't see to many people in the car business buying cars or paying cash. I'm not trying to pick a fight, I just want to point out that there are cases where leasing is good for the customer.

FWIW, most dealerships don't like these lease specials since there's no profit in it for them. They accept it because it helps to move the metal. They also hope they'll have a nice 3 year old used car in a few years and if things went well in service, a repeat buyer.
Old 07-01-2005, 12:46 PM

payments forever is the worst possible scenario with 1 payment being the best case scenario.

I don't buy cars if they have a reputation of breaking as soon as the warranty expires...
Old 07-01-2005, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by jasonw,Jul 1 2005, 10:46 AM
payments forever is the worst possible scenario with 1 payment being the best case scenario.
Well not for me! I'll happily make payments forever if I can always have a newer car. (Ok I know it's not new forever, but you know what i mean). The main focus of my point is that blanket statements like "....Their profit is your loss..." is not fair across the board.

Quick Reply: Lease special from Honda