S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Lease special from Honda

Old 06-25-2005, 06:20 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by preludexl,Jun 25 2005, 02:27 PM
You can write off any car you use for "business" if you have a business license. My friend writes off his miata with a dummy corporation he set up. You just deduct the monthly car payment as a business expense, same as lunch, dinner, clubbing, etc. Afterall you have to entertain clients. It doesnt have to be a lease.
hopefully your friend doesn't go to prison for that. that's tax fraud (i'm assuming his "clients" are the same people he hauls around in his personal life).

yes, it does have to be a lease. You cannot deduct car payments; you can, however, deduct any interest paid on a car loan.
Old 06-26-2005, 12:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by QUIKAG,Jun 24 2005, 12:18 PM
I did the lease special on my S2000. I plan to get every pennies worth out of this car when I turn it back in just as the factory warranty expires. Easy break-in my arse.
This is exactly the reason I will not buy a used performance car, especially one I intend to keep for a long time.
Old 06-30-2005, 08:22 PM

[QUOTE=ol' dood,Jun 24 2005, 12:20 AM]A private lease is one of the WORST financial contracts that are!!!! Think about it You have to keep the mileage within the lease agreement, plus do the maintenance, plus turn the vehicle in to be in GREAT shape.
Old 06-30-2005, 08:48 PM

Ah people! You act like the dealerships offer leases out of the kindness of their heart. If leases weren't more profitable than loans, they wouldn't be offering them!

You gotta at least be honest with yourself and understand you are paying extra to avoid the hassle of selling it when you are done. Or you are subjecting yourself to endless monthly payments by not driving a paid off car and not wanting to pay the higher pmts for a loan even though it will eventually end and you will still have a car.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by jasonw,Jun 30 2005, 08:48 PM
Ah people! You act like the dealerships offer leases out of the kindness of their heart. If leases weren't more profitable than loans, they wouldn't be offering them!

You gotta at least be honest with yourself and understand you are paying extra to avoid the hassle of selling it when you are done. Or you are subjecting yourself to endless monthly payments by not driving a paid off car and not wanting to pay the higher pmts for a loan even though it will eventually end and you will still have a car.

Right, like if you really know what you are talking about...
Old 07-01-2005, 04:33 AM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonw,Jul 1 2005, 12:48 AM
Typically advertised specials have little to no profit in them and most OEM lending institutions have caps on what can be charged in any finance situation.
Old 07-01-2005, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by flatOVERcrest,Jun 30 2005, 11:02 PM

Right, like if you really know what you are talking about...
Right. Like I have decent math skills...
Old 07-01-2005, 08:01 AM

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonw,Jun 30 2005, 11:48 PM

Um, you do realize that the dealership is not offering the lease, but some financing arm is offering the lease. Honda Finance is offering the lease. And hey, they offer loans too. So you might be good at math, you just don't seem to know much about leasing.
Old 07-01-2005, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by erik,Jul 1 2005, 09:01 AM
Um, you do realize that the dealership is not offering the lease, but some financing arm is offering the lease. Honda Finance is offering the lease. And hey, they offer loans too. So you might be good at math, you just don't seem to know much about leasing.
Well why do you think they are willing to buy the car so they can lease it out?...They know they will make money that way... Their profit is your loss...
Old 07-01-2005, 08:27 AM

This conversation has not touched on 1) warranty coverage 2) resale trade in losses, 3) gap insurance, 4) seizure protection.

1) Do you really want to try to maintain an S2000 out of warranty, for 10-15 years as one person posted? That will cost a fortune. Trust me. I've owned antique cars, and those cars were less technologically sophisticated. The savings of eventually not having payments if you keep a car long enough evaporate with maintenance expenses in the long term.

2) Don't assume you'll be able to sell, much less trade, a car for blue book value. Particularly not within a short window of time. The option of turning back a leased car, particularly if the car has had trouble or been in an accident, will be invaluable.

3) Most cars are upside down for years. But better cars have gap insurance to make sure you don't get stuck with the bill.

4) Many jurisdictions try to seize vehicles (for drugs or "reckless driving"). They can't seize a leased vehicle. All you racers should think about that.

Quick Reply: Lease special from Honda