S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Lease early termination?

Old 06-10-2006, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So arialcam you still lost your entire first payment right, about $3600?
Not at all. The $299 lease deal from Honda had an estimated driveoff of around $3600 which included a capitalized cost reduction of around $3000 and assumed you were paying close to the MSRP for the car.

I got the car below invoice and didn't put anything down except the first months payment, registration fees and a few document fees whcih came to around $700. My payment before taxes was $337 a month.

If I had put up the larger amount, the payoff would have been that much less. So instead of $26500 the payoff would have been $23500. You would only 'lose' the $3000 if you assigned the lease to someone else instead of paying it off.

But I prefer to put as little down as possible on a lease. Especially on a deal like this one with such a low interest rate.
Old 06-10-2006, 05:09 PM

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by aerialcam,Jun 10 2006, 02:57 PM
Not at all. The $299 lease deal from Honda had an estimated driveoff of around $3600 which included a capitalized cost reduction of around $3000 and assumed you were paying close to the MSRP for the car.

I got the car below invoice and didn't put anything down except the first months payment, registration fees and a few document fees whcih came to around $700. My payment before taxes was $337 a month.

If I had put up the larger amount, the payoff would have been that much less. So instead of $26500 the payoff would have been $23500. You would only 'lose' the $3000 if you assigned the lease to someone else instead of paying it off.

But I prefer to put as little down as possible on a lease. Especially on a deal like this one with such a low interest rate.
Aerial,

How many months of your lease had you paid when you sold it? Thanks.
Old 06-10-2006, 05:37 PM

How many months of your lease had you paid when you sold it? Thanks.
12 months. I had the car 1 year and 1 week.

Like Platinum I only had a few thousand miles on the car and it was just taking up space in the garage. Besides, I'm getting married in a couple of weeks and we're moving from Los Angeles to Bellingham, Washington. Not exactly convertible weather up there...
Old 06-10-2006, 05:40 PM

keep the s2k Bellingham isnt that bad but yeh I hear lot sof snow during winter if its cold in the PNW
Old 06-11-2006, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by aerialcam,Jun 10 2006, 08:37 PM
12 months. I had the car 1 year and 1 week.

Like Platinum I only had a few thousand miles on the car and it was just taking up space in the garage. Besides, I'm getting married in a couple of weeks and we're moving from Los Angeles to Bellingham, Washington. Not exactly convertible weather up there...
That's interesting. I'm at a year too, have 6000 miles on it. But my payoff number is $29k. I got the car for invoice. I put nothing down, and my payment is $373. Any ideas why my payoff number would be SO much larger than yours?

Due to personal reasons, I might have to sell the car, but no way that'll happen for 29k.
Old 06-11-2006, 07:08 PM

Any ideas why my payoff number would be SO much larger than yours?
If your payoff is $29000 and you got the car for invoice and add in the acquisition fee of $595, you've only been paying off $130 a month in depreciation instead of $295 or so a month.

I'd have to see your lease agreement, but something sounds fishy with your lease. How much is your residual? Mine was $19862 which is 59% of the MSRP. Your gross capitalized cost should be around $30500. Did you pay any driveoffs or did they lump them into the capitalized cost?

Your payments look right, so if you keep the car for the lease term it doesn't matter. If they inflated the residual value in order to charge you more in interest, it will only screw you if you want to buy the car at the end of the lease.

PM me if you want to go over it.

Old 06-12-2006, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by erik,Jun 11 2006, 01:51 PM
That's interesting. I'm at a year too, have 6000 miles on it. But my payoff number is $29k. I got the car for invoice. I put nothing down, and my payment is $373. Any ideas why my payoff number would be SO much larger than yours?

Due to personal reasons, I might have to sell the car, but no way that'll happen for 29k.
If that's true, you got hosed somewhere. Sounds like they marked up the rate or something. If you really got it for invoice, the numbers don't make sense at all.
Old 06-12-2006, 02:35 PM

I can only think they added some things to the capitalized cost. If you want to share that, the money factor (interest rate) and residual we can provide a more informed comment.
Old 06-12-2006, 02:55 PM

Ah, this is just great. I'm starting to think I got the car for $500 over invoice, but I know that is it, but for someone reason, I'm thinking I demanded invoice. Damn it, this sucks, I can't remember.

Anyway, I have the same residual as aerial, 59%, same exact $ amount. But my gross capitalized cost is way different, $31815. I got the best rate, because this was a point of contention, and the finance manager stepped in and "helped" me out with it. Helped is in quotes, because now, maybe she didn't. The MF isn't on the paperwork, but I remember it being pretty low.

On the right, there is a line and it states the agreed upon value of the vehicle is $30544.

All I paid up front was the first month plus fees, in fact, my paperwork states I had $66 for cap cost reduction.

Ok, folks, so let me have it, should I be kicking myself in the rear for not paying closer attention to the paperwork!?!?

I also have a rent charge of $1542. Is this normal? I might as well start learning so I don't **** up my next deal!!
Old 06-12-2006, 03:25 PM

Residual is not negotiable.

Wow, that gross cap cost is huge. How many years is your lease? Did they sucker you into a 5 year or something?

It sounds like you got bent, real bad, man. What is the total of payments listed on the contract?

The key points on a lease:

MSRP (what residual is calculated from)
Cap Cost (total cost of the car)
Money Factor
Residual
Time in Months of lease.

This should tell you everything you need to know about the lease. It sounds like you have some terms mixed up? Not sure, but the figures you posted don't make sense. How many months have you made payments? your drive off is way high for 12 months.

Quick Reply: Lease early termination?