S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Leaky Trunk DIY

Old 12-26-2006, 04:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chazmo,Dec 26 2006, 05:20 PM
I'm not sure how water would get up in here, but when you remove the bumper cover, there definitely is a trunk vent. That's the black rectangle (it's a flap) below just above the left bumper.

I think the point of this is to allow air to blast out when you push down the lid.

What should i do with this vent? Just check the seals?
Old 12-26-2006, 04:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HKSSupra91,Dec 26 2006, 05:13 PM
Are there any places where water will come in b/c of the top?
Yes.

My car backed into a racetrack concrete wall at 80 mph. As you might imagine, the whole back end was pretty much trashed. When the car was fixed it was sturcturally fine, but I learned there are an amazing number of places which have to be sealed in order to keep water from coming in. And any water that comes in anywhere in the back of the car will end up in the bottom of the trunk, where the tools sit.

The bottom edge of the top, all the way around, is a rain gutter. It carries the water to just behind the door pillars, where it dumps into a couple of drains. If the top is not correctly mounted, or if the drains are blocked or loose, then the water will run down onto the "floor" of the back end of the car. From there it will run into the cavities at the top of the shocks and also into the trunk.

The first step you have to do is figure out if the water is coming in from the top or the bottom. Remove all the trunk lining. Make sure everything is dry. Then take a hose to the car and let it run at a reasonable volume (not super high pressure, but like a heavy rain). Put it all over the back of the car and also let it run into the rain gutter on the top. Do this for something like 15 minutes, then see if any water has been coming in.

The other place water could be coming in is from the bottom, as spray off the wheels. There are dozens of places there seams are supposed to be sealed, and it they are not then water will get literally pumped into the trunk area. This is frustrating as hell to try and diagnose, but you just have to be systematic about it.

I applied several tubes of RTV on almost every seam I could find, and eventually, leak by leak, I finally sealed up the car.
Old 12-26-2006, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by HKSSupra91,Dec 26 2006, 05:30 PM
What should i do with this vent? Just check the seals?
I put some plumbers putty around it on the inside. Like where it comes into contact with the body of the car from the inside of the trunk. Thats where my leak was from. You can use liquid gasket, silicon.. whatever.
Old 12-26-2006, 10:33 PM

I bet you know about the leaky hatches in your mk3 huh?? Yea ive been there too.
Old 12-26-2006, 10:46 PM

Well I just found the secret compartment in my s2k. After owning it for a lil more than a week. I found out i have a 12yr 12000 mile limited warranty coverage, you think i can have honda use all new seals in the trunk to fix this problem? I hate taking my car to a mechanic. I do not trust any mechanic other than my cousin or I to work on my car.

Still i will try to fix this problem on my own and post up what i can find.

Zepeda926, yes the mk3 had a leaky hatch due to the rear taillight seal. THat problem was an easy fix. I fixed that right away.
Old 12-27-2006, 06:33 PM

you could apply vaseline to the trunk seal(heavily)...close the trunk, and look on the hood section for any "gaps"....meaning no vaseline making a continious bead following the seal on the oppisite end. ...good luck
Old 05-08-2007, 11:25 AM

I have this same problem and haven't been able to resolve it yet.

Any updates?