S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

launching the S (dad showed me a supposedly faster way)

Old 03-10-2002, 10:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]just dont do it too much
Old 03-10-2002, 10:19 PM

Personally, I use an off idle no slip, no dump launch technique. However, the theory is that if you set the rear wheels spinning, you minimize shock to the drivetrain. I'd be glad to demonstrate the technique with your car.
Old 03-10-2002, 10:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well isn't slipping the clutch easier on your LSD rather than dumping it? I would rather buy a strong clutch that have to buy new axles and an LSD.

So which is better on the over all drivetrain? Slipping or dumping?
Old 03-10-2002, 11:25 PM

High rpm slipping or dumping puts violent strains on the drivetrain, from the clutch to the differential. The S2000 clutch is a bit weak, probably acts as a slow blow fuse for the rest of the drivetrain. I understand that Comptech offers both upgraded clutches and differentials. In any case, although Honda advertises the S2000 as a sub 6 second to 60 mph car, I don't think it's made to stand up to repeated hard launches. I could be wrong.
Old 03-11-2002, 05:42 AM

I hate to say this guys but dumping the clutch is probably 100x more stressful to driveline parts than slipping the clutch. Don't remember who but someone said that there is more stress on the driveline when slipping clutch..... definately wrong. Yes it will probably cause more wear than dropping but the clutch is designed to wear (perhaps at not such an accelerated rate though). Dumping the clutch is the equivalent of trying to instantaneously accelerate all the driveline components from 0 rpm to whatever rpm you dumped at....ie verrrrry stressful. Don't know about you guys but I'd rather replace clutches all day long before I have to replace drive shafts, differentials, more expensive driveline components etc..... Remember force=mass times acceleration. Acceleration is dependant on time, accel=change in velocity divided by change in time. Slipping the clutch puts a higher quantity in the denominator and therfore reduces the acceleration (of driveline components). Since f=(m)(a) less a also makes the amount of force go down. Of course you also have to remember the amount of innertia associated with all the parts spinning @ 7500rpm like the pistons, flywheel and all parts inbetween. Won't go in to it but interia =mass times velocity. @7500 rpm and dumping the clutch you are also trying to make the parts connected to the engine go from a very high rpm to a very low rpm in a verrrrrry SHORT period of time...... ie lots of stress.
Overall, slipping the clutch reduces the amount of time you are allowing the mass of the wheels and driveline components come up to speed and reducing the stress on a lot of expensive components.....
Must wesmaster remind us how much it costs to replace driveline components??

I'd even be willing to bet slipping the clutch with speedcraft's kit would not produce half the stress of dumping the clutch on a stock car. i would be willing to bet that dropping the clutch @ 7500 rpm creats stress that would be similar to
Old 03-11-2002, 06:13 AM

To illustrate ccarnel's words, I'd like to show you a short video clip (1.2MB)
that demonstrates what happens to your drivetrain when you dump the clutch
-
Ouch! .

Thanks for fixing that link, 9000RED!
Old 03-11-2002, 07:10 AM

LOL....Nice video analogy!

link was messed up...here you go......

Ouch!
Old 03-11-2002, 01:33 PM

OMG i watched that clip over and over and even in slow-mo ....talk about taking the term "bend over backwards" literally.
Old 03-11-2002, 02:39 PM

This car has been around for 2.5 years. The clutch, along with the clutch springs prevent excessive loading of the drivetrain in most cases. Once you upgrade the clutch, all bets are off. I would rather break a half-shaft than a clutch, based on repair costs. Differentials have gone out for several reasons that are not always dependent on the launch technique. The transmission is not a weak link from a launch or power standpoint.
Old 03-11-2002, 04:01 PM

"I don't think Honda Racer is talking about a slow let of here, just enough smoothness so the tires don't spin."

gj. obviously you read all my post..i think

Quick Reply: launching the S (dad showed me a supposedly faster way)