S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

launching the S (dad showed me a supposedly faster way)

Old 03-10-2002, 04:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default launching the S (dad showed me a supposedly faster way)

well heres the story

i was visiting my parents before i move soo the f-1 race was over and i just had to drive soo i took my dad in the S. i went to my favorite spot where right after a stoplight theres a nice s turn and then a nice straight to have fun.i rev to 6.5k and drop the clutch and i get some wheel spin and my dad asks me wtf i was doing and told me i should car more about my tires and car condition. i was like uhhh. "you shouldnt dumpthe clutch, you will have bald tires in no time, here pull over and ill show you somethin" soo i get out of the car and we switch sides. he gets at the stoplight, revs to 7.5k and im watching his left foot and he is easing the cluth out, but we are taking off faster than the dump. i was like wow wtf. soo he tells me to try, it takes me about 2-3 times to get use to it and about 5 to actually get it. soo my 6th time i rev to 7.5 and i felt one with the car. i was amazed on how much quicker you launch.

is this bad for the clutch, and is this the reason why you guys say our car is soo hard to launch?cuz its a breeze to just dump the clutch.
Old 03-10-2002, 04:28 PM

Clutches stink when they are abused. I can't believe yours didn't stink after this treatment.
Old 03-10-2002, 04:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

in this case... I dunno which is worse, abusing your clutch by dumping it, or abusing it by riding it out. yea, it will wear much quicker this way, but you do seem to be faster off the line.
Old 03-10-2002, 04:46 PM

that will cause wear on the clutch. when the tires spin, its not to bad on the clutch (well, ya it is, but still...).

chris
Old 03-10-2002, 05:16 PM

well lets say besides the clutch, is it faster? i mean the but-o-meter says it feel faster but sometimes the but-o-meter is off. do you guys have an idea?

thx for your help
Old 03-10-2002, 05:23 PM

P.S. isnt this how f-1 cars take off too. i mean like there cars rev to the moon, soo their power would be up there like ours. we have to rev soo high to launch fast, soo you would think they would have to do the same.
Old 03-10-2002, 05:23 PM

Your losing time if you're tires are spinning right? Therefore, a more gradual clutch release would allow for better traction from a dead stop and would probably post slightly faster times.

HOWEVER, dumping the clutch allows the clutch to bite quicker and therefore the power is transferred to the wheels quicker, minimizing the strain on the tranny (you'll still ruin the clutch eventually). This may be slightly slower, but I can't imagine that riding the clutch on a launch would be good for the clutch at all. In essence, you are practically feathering the clutch at super high RPM's and in the process roasting your clutch nice and slowly.

I've done several high RPM clutch dumps and I'd rather do that than do a "riding clutch" launch on my S2000.
Old 03-10-2002, 05:28 PM

Get a g-tech pro and time both launches for 0-60 and 1/4-mile. You may have to do it about 3-4 times each to get a good average and see if there is any benefit to wearing your clutch faster.

You will have to upgrade your clutch soon, if you do too many high RPM launches! Get a good street racing clutch like ACT when the stock one wears out.
Old 03-10-2002, 05:28 PM

i see where your coming from, but sometimes you can really light-up your tires when dumpin it up there. with what my dad showed me and what i do now is not really a slow ease, its actually pretty fast, sometimes i get a little chirp.
Old 03-10-2002, 05:46 PM

yea, but after your clutch wears out a little, even those kinda fast dumps won't hold. it'll just sit there and spin. and STINK.

Quick Reply: launching the S (dad showed me a supposedly faster way)