S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Laid off....may have to move....

Old 12-07-2004, 10:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Laid off....may have to move....

I found out last week that I'm being laid off on the first of the year. I'm taking it kinda hard right now, but I'm trying to make the best of it. I moved to Oklahoma City (from Cleveland, OH) almost 3 years ago for this current job, but I was lucky enough to happen to have some family here to help me with the change. Since then, I've grown some deep deep roots to this place, and to the people here. I'm worried out of my mind about having to pack everything up, sell my house (my first home too) and move again to somewhere that I don't know anybody. About 2 months ago, I finally found a girl that I really like, and may have had some potential with.....for the first time since I moved originally.....and now I'm going to moving away....it really hurts. I've been stressing about the move way more than I have been about losing my job....unfortunately, for my profession, there really isn't anything here for me anymore. I've been getting a ton of responses from my resume, but it's kind of a catch 22, on one hand, it looks like I will not stay unemployed for long, but on the other hand, it seals the fact that I will have to move.

Here are some of the cities with companies interested in me:

Scottsdale, AZ: Right by Phoenix, plenty to do....very far from home, and any family. And EXTREMELY expensive.

Savannah, GA: Beautiful scenery, near the ocean....not used to a small deep south town, since I'm from the city, and about as Yankee as they come!

Allentown, PA: What's there to say? I dunno.....at least it's close to my family in Cleveland.

Well, thanks for listening to me vent....had to do it somewhere!
Old 12-07-2004, 10:07 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Go sit in your car and rev.

All your problems will go away.

Old 12-07-2004, 10:15 PM

I CAN'T!!!! It's in Cleveland right now! I was travelling back and forth to Cleveland so much lately since my mom is sick (yet onother thing to stress over) that I decided to leave the car up there....it's been there since November 10th, and I'll go get it on Dec 23rd. So I guess my X-mas present will just be to see my car again!
Old 12-07-2004, 11:02 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

What do you do that there is not something else in the that field in OK?

Man you just need to chill. Jobs come and go, and so do careers. I have changed careers twice in my life. Take your time finding the right new job. It will find you if you keep looking.
Old 12-07-2004, 11:08 PM

If you think Arizona is expensive, you should check out California. It's downright highway robbery.
Old 12-07-2004, 11:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just out of curiosity, how old are you and what kind of work are you in?
Old 12-07-2004, 11:26 PM

Best wishes man, your in my prayers. I really hope it works out and am interested in the above questions about what you do as well.

- J
Old 12-07-2004, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by Stratocaster,Dec 8 2004, 08:02 AM
What do you do that there is not something else in the that field in OK?

Man you just need to chill. Jobs come and go, and so do careers. I have changed careers twice in my life. Take your time finding the right new job. It will find you if you keep looking.
It's not that I'm completely worried about losing my job....I've come to the realization of all that....but yes, this is the first time this has happened to me. The thing is, I don't want to move.....that's the part that's getting me now.

I'm a flight dispatcher, doing operations/flight planning work for stuff like airlines, charter companies, corporate flight departments and aircraft handling companies. The only other place in Oklahoma that has positions like mine is a charter cargo company in Tulsa....I know someone that works there, and it doesn't seem like a very good company. And I'm 25......oh well.....not going to worry about it, just going to take the swings as they come.

"That which does not kill us, makes us stronger".....how true.
Old 12-07-2004, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Mossad,Dec 8 2004, 08:08 AM
If you think Arizona is expensive, you should check out California. It's downright highway robbery.
Yeah, I definately know about that......I've had an open job offer there for the last 4 years and have never taken it because of that. Basically, I've ruled out all of California, New Jersey, NYC area, and Washington DC areas....not my cup-o-tea.
Old 12-08-2004, 04:01 AM

Moving should be looked upon as an adventure as is taking a new job. You get to expand and learn. Its a great process.
We have moved from NY to Chicago to St. Louis to Philly to Chicago to Dallas to Minneapolis to Dallas.

For us each city has its own special charm.

Quick Reply: Laid off....may have to move....