S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Koni Yellow shocks & springs = better handling?

Old 09-03-2006, 02:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Koni Yellow shocks & springs = better handling?

I want to lower my S2000 1.0-1.5 inches and I was wondering if I install the Koni Yellow's with a good quality lowering spring will I gain better handling performance over the stock suspension, or just added looks?

I mainly want to lower it for the look, but I don't want to loose any handling performance and or ride quality. If ride quality is somewhat degraded, but handling is increased, then I can live with that, as long as the ride is not too severe.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 09-03-2006, 08:37 PM

You can lower ~1 inch with the Koni yellow dampers alone. They're height adjustable, as are Bilstein's.
Old 09-03-2006, 09:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's hard to say if you will "improve" the handling. There are lots of people here satisfied with the stock suspension because it is so well balanced for daily driving but for the track it could be improved with fully coilover kits. I truly don't know if the koni yellows + lowering springs will improve your handling, just have to wait for people with this setup.
Old 09-03-2006, 11:23 PM

Koni yellow shocks and H&R springs will be much better handling than stock
Old 09-04-2006, 03:07 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm using Koni Yellows with stock springs on stock ride hight.
And IMO the rear damping is better.
On a long left hand curve in a highway with some "dips" in it I noticed less movement coming from the back, more "planted", a more secure feeling.
I like 'm.

Make sure the mounting brackets on the Koni's are straight & parallel, so be carefull otherwise you may strip your bolt trying to get it in.

Old 09-04-2006, 03:26 AM

Received 469 Likes on 400 Posts

[QUOTE=SiHawk,Sep 3 2006, 11:37 PM] You can lower ~1 inch with the Koni yellow dampers alone.
Old 09-04-2006, 05:49 AM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have Koni Yellows and Espilars on stock perch setting...drop was 1.5".

The Konis are softer in compression than oem shocks but can be much harder in re-bound (personally, I think having the Konis re-valved to oem jounce dynamics would be a very good thing...but that adds quite a bit $$ to their cost). Ride is only slightely harder given that compression is softer...the spring rates feel like they are only 100 or so lb stiffer than stock.

Handling at low speed (autox situations) may be marginally improved, but I didn't notice a dramatic change (but that is probably driver). I noticed the biggest difference in higher speed sweepers (on ramps)...car feels more confident but I would bet objective numbers would again show only marginal improvement.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:56 AM
jah

myself not interested in lowering/looks/dailydrive, people are talking KSport coilovers and thier price seems good. as soon as they get their stuff together?
Old 09-04-2006, 07:40 AM

I installed Koni yellows on my GTI, and it made the ride much harsher. Personally, I love the ride/handling balance on my stock S2K. The biggest handling problem the S has, and one that can't really be remedied, is the mediocre steering feel. The steering is overboosted and lacks connection to the road. Of course, I'm coming from a BMW 3-series which has probably the best steering feel of any car.
Old 09-04-2006, 10:07 AM

Thanks guys. I mainly just want to lower my S2000 a little bit and I wanted to make sure that with the Koni's and springs I wouldn't give up any handling on my car, hopefully make it at least equal to or slightly better than before.

Quick Reply: Koni Yellow shocks & springs = better handling?