S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Knotchy shifting???

Old 01-01-2001, 05:33 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when any of your cars were new, did you have i dont know how to explain it... not a grind, but a like...almost a very mild rubbing going into each gear, or a very mind clunk?
Also any strange noises when shifting... as clutch goes down and rpm drop..almost sounds like a different car, but only for a second
or am I just imaging all this?
thanks
Old 01-01-2001, 06:04 PM

Yes, I get a mild clunk when shifting from second to third only. I've got nearly 8k miles on the car and this still persists. It mainly occurs (or at least more noticeably) when the car is cold. I have considered this more of a quirk than a real problem. I know many others who are also experiencing this.
Old 01-01-2001, 06:08 PM

If you hear a buzzing as you put in the clutch, or near the top as you take out clutch; or feel the clutch pedal vibrate just as pressure is building on the clutch pedal if you depress it slowly, and only near the top of the pedal movement, that is what I have been experiencing. I had the main technician at the local Honda check it out; he didn't seem concerned about it, though that doesn't necessarily mean all is well, I realize.

Old 01-01-2001, 06:39 PM

I hear a faint clunk when going into first gear. I can duplicate this everytime, whether the car is warm or cold. I am at a stoplight, car is in neutral, in anticipation of the light changing to green, I put the car in first gear, that's when I hear the faint clunk. If I put the car back into neutral, and then put it back into first, I don't hear this clunk (without letting go of the clutch). If I put it in neutral and and then let the clutch go and again step on the clutch to put the gear in first, I again hear the clunk. It has been like this since the first day I picked up the car. It's a 2000 model with about 600 miles on the odometer. It's more annoying than anything. I only hear this in first gear. The 1-2, 2-3 shifts are not as smooth as the others, especially when cold. That's all the problems I have with the shifter.
Old 01-01-2001, 07:13 PM

Read my thread entitled "The Gritch who Stole S-Mas" from a few days ago for the exact same discussion.

I get the same damn feel in the shifter.

Old 01-02-2001, 03:47 AM
Muz
Former Sponsor

I've found as I get more miles on the car my gear shifts feel a little less 'clunky' (for want of a better term. More like a 'snick' really.) My gearbox still feels a little 'stiff' from 5th-6th though and I can only assume this might be because I use 6th gear the least of all. Then again..maybe it's just all in my head
Old 01-02-2001, 04:19 AM

I have a 2001 model with 1500 miles.

The shifting is very "clunky" when cold. I especially find that it can be difficult to shift into 2nd gear from either 1st or 3rd gear. I often feel like I am passing through 2 distinct resistance points before it is finally in 2nd gear - I consciously need to pull hard into 2nd so as not to grind the gears - it can be very deceiving, you think you are in gear, but you need to force the shifter past both the hard resistance points. I also have a slight clunk getting it into 3rd from second. Shifting into 4th, 5th, and 6th is pretty effortless and shifting from 4th to 3rd is easy.

Once the car is warm the shifting is much better - but 2nd gear is always an effort no matter the temperature.

Aran

Old 01-02-2001, 05:14 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the same problem shifting from 1 to 2.
It takes me an extra fraction of a second to pull it down and make sure it's in gear.
The time it takes for me to shift from 1 - 2 is never consistent, consequently throwing off my timing on rev match.

Downshifting to 1st is even worse. If I am going more than 20 mph and try to downshift to 1st....it won't do it. If I try to strong-arm it, it grinds.
Old 01-02-2001, 07:13 AM

PsychoBen,

I did not even mention trying to get into 1st from 2nd while not stopped. When stopped the shifter effortlessly shifts into 1st. If I am rolling to a stop (below 10 mph) and the light changes, SOMETIMES with great effort I can force it into 1st. I usually just keep it in 2nd gear if I have not come to a complete stop. It is practically impossible to shift into 1st gear if the car is not completely stopped. Does anyone else also have this problem? I really enjoy the car but the shifter in low gears is definately a weak point of this car.
Old 01-02-2001, 07:23 AM

Mine is a bit notchy shifting 1-2 and 2-3 when the tranny is cold, which is to be expected. After it warms up, the notchiness goes away. I've shifted down from 2-1 at 5-10 mph lately without problems, don't know about speeds higher than that though

No grind or problems shifting into 2nd at high rpms, no problems shifting into any other gears

Quick Reply: Knotchy shifting???