S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Kids in the S2000?

Old 02-28-2006, 06:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kids in the S2000?

Anyone haul kids in their S? I read in the owner's manual that children under the age of 12 should not ride in the car or something like that, but I'm sure that's for Honda CYA.

Point is, I need to pick up my nephew from daycare Wed and don't know if it's legal to do so. He's 2.5 years old and will be in a car seat. The only thing I find in the TX code is that he must be in a carseat. (I wouldn't haul him without one)

Anyone here used a carseat in their S2K?
Old 02-28-2006, 06:19 AM

From what I understand unless you have the passenger airbag disengaged it's illegal.

If you got in an accident and the airbags went off with a 2 year old in the passenger seat it would most likely be fatal to the child.
Old 02-28-2006, 06:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kiefer74,Feb 28 2006, 09:19 AM
From what I understand unless you have the passenger airbag disengaged it's illegal.

If you got in an accident and the airbags went off with a 2 year old in the passenger seat it would most likely be fatal to the child.
i'd have to say i've never heard such a thing.

what about people who bought cars that had passenger airbags before they could be disabled with a button? what if they have kids and need to put one in the front seat in a child seat for whatever reason? it's not illegal. when they make laws like that, they tend to grandfather cars made up to a certain point.

just like every car made now has to have airbags, does that mean older cars that don't have airbags are illegal to drive? no.
Old 02-28-2006, 07:15 AM

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not sure if there is a law or not, but a local had a daycare teacher threaten to call child services on him b/c he had his young son in the front seat. He paid to have an airbag disable switch installed. I think they go for around $300 installed depending on the place you put it in. There had to be all sorts of official govt paperwork filled out when he did it too so there may have been some laws involved.
Old 02-28-2006, 07:20 AM

You may want to swap cars with a relative or a friend for the day. It would be pretty irresponsible to put a child of 2 1/2 into the front seat.

It is not worth the risk.
Old 02-28-2006, 07:29 AM

I agree with Sgt Skidmark. I would try to make different arrangements.

In VA the law states infants need to be placed in a child safety seat regardless of what seat they are in. The law does not say anything about airbags (according to the state police officer I just spoke to). However, Honda does NOT recommend you do this in the S2000 since you cannot deactivate the airbags.

I would call you state police and ask them.
Old 02-28-2006, 07:29 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Well... wouldn't it be "Kid in the S2000" ?
There is place for one passenger only.
But then again.. the driver usually feels like a kid in a go-kart too

About the car seat:
There are seats where the child (not the kid driving ) is facing forward and there are seats where the child is facing backwards.
For those backwards facing seats its dangerous to have airbags.
For the other ones its ok.
According to my (European) manual.

Hope this helps you.
Old 02-28-2006, 07:39 AM

There is definately nothing illegal about having a car seat in the front seat of a car with an airbag. However, you need to be VERY CAREFUL when doing so. Make sure the passenger seat is back as far as it will go and get the seat in as tightly as possible to keep the little one as far away from the "deployment zone" as possible.

The media got a hold of some stories about kids being killed by passenger airbags and failed to mention that the kids were all unrestrained or improperly restrained. Kids are put together pretty well, and their heads aren't just popping off when they hit something...but if the kid is standing on the floor in front of the passenger seat when the airbag blows and it's only 4" from his head, that may cause a problem! If kids are properly restrained (most seats for a 2.5 year old have a 5-pt harness) and kept a safe distance from the airbag (same distance as an adult would be) I wouldn't worry. My kids don't ride in my S2K all that often, but a few years back I brought my daughter to and from daycare 5 days/week in my Boxster with no worries. Some say I'm crazy, but I would challenge them to find evidence of a passenger airbag-related fatality that involved a properly restrained passenger of any age...
Old 02-28-2006, 07:42 AM

oh yeah - my statement does not apply to ANY rear-facing seats - should have mentioned that, but it did not apply in this case since you mentioned the kid is 2.5 yrs old, and unless he/she is extremely tiny, they would be in a front-facing seat.
Old 02-28-2006, 07:57 AM

I have a 3 year old who's been demanding rides in my s2k since she was 2. I've given her a couple of rides, and have no concern about doing it. If you place the seat all the way back and put the front-facing carseat in as snug as possible, they will never come forward more than a couple inches (if at all) in an accident. Those 5 point harnesses keep them better secured in an accident than adults in the 3 point belts. The deployment zone of airbag is also quite high and forward purposely for adults with greater weight and more movement in an accident. Hell, they design most airbags to take an unrestrained adult. My best guess is that the average 2-3 year old kid, 32-36", 30-35lbs, will sit about 6 inches to a foot away from the deployed airbag. I really think honda is taking a CYA position here. Like most auto companies, its a safe thing to just say they should never sit in a seat with an airbag enabled. Sure, its a risk, but I dont think I'm a reckless parent. Its hard to say no.

-Chris

Quick Reply: Kids in the S2000?