S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Keyless entry and alarm

Old 09-16-2008, 09:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Keyless entry and alarm

Ok, so I have a few questions about the keyless entry and the factory alarm.

Firstly, I have read that keyless entry came standard on the 2001 S2000s, correct?
Well my problem is that I didn't get any remotes (or fob or w/e you call them), so basically I can only unlock/lock the car with the key or manually flipping the lock switch in the car. Thats not too big a deal, but I'd really like to have keyless entry. So, my question is can I get a remote and program it to work on my car? Where is the best place to buy one?

I saw some on ebay but they said something about FCC ID, and I have no idea what that is? Does this have to match my car somehow? IF so where do I find my FCC ID or w/e?

Secondly, I am pretty sure I have the factory alarm installed as I have the red LED's that I have read indicate the the factory alarm is installed. But for some reason I think the alarm has been disabled. How can I tell if the alarm is on and enabled? If the alarm is in fact disabled how to I enable it again?
What does the little black valet button under the steering wheel do?

Sorry for so many questions, I'm just very confused.

Thanks,
-TerminatioN
Old 09-17-2008, 07:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

S2000s do come with keyless entry, and that is can easily be programmed to your car. I don't have the link handy, but I found the instructions on this forum. The car, however, does NOT come with the alarm standard; it's an option.

As for the alarm, the LED light on your dash is there even if you do not have the alarm installed. With that said, to check if you have any alarm installed, go under the driver's seat and see if you see the "brain" attached to the bottom of the seat. There isn't really a way to "disable" the alarm. I suppose you just need to reprogram your alarm remotes to your alarm to arm/disarm it.

As for the valet button, it's meant for overrides. i.e. if your remote runs out of battery? You can open the door with your, and press on the valet switch to disarm the car (while turning your ignition to positions II usually). This is precisely why I think factory alarms are useless. The location for valet switch and the brain are widely known, and it only takes a few minutes to run a search for the installation instruction to find out how everything's wired.

www.handaacessories.com has the instructions in case you want them ...
Old 09-17-2008, 08:01 AM

valet button? where?
Old 09-17-2008, 11:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=Ks320,Sep 17 2008, 07:00 AM] S2000s do come with keyless entry, and that is can easily be programmed to your car.
Old 09-17-2008, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by TerminatioN,Sep 17 2008, 11:47 AM
So what is the FCC ID thing? Does it matter or can I just get any of those on eBay?

I looked under my seat and I see what I think is the alarm brain, but I'm not sure. I thought thats where the keyless entry "brain" was... Is there anyway to tell if my alarm is working/enabled or not? Does the led flash or something?

So the valet key basically just silences the alarm if its going off and you put the key in a position two?

Right under the steering wheel, slightly to the left (drivers) side:
You cannot just get any Honda remote for your S2000. You can probably find out from a dealership what FCC ID is suitable for you car.

My car was easier because I had one remote and I only needed extras. I bought two from eBay - one was actually for a CRV but it had the same FCC ID as mine so it worked. The car can learn codes from up to 3 remotes. Procedure for programming is in this site - just search.
Old 09-17-2008, 01:16 PM

I have a car from the UK with fobs like:

I don't know if these came with the US cars too or if you guys have your own thing there in the US. I have two if you need. There is an fob programming sequence that goes with it.

I just removed my factory alarm because it got destroyed in a flood. I got an alarm guy to put in a regular after market one. It has the same functionality as the dealer installed one, so I am good with it. You really don't need the dealer one, but if you are bent on it, you can have mine for the cost of postage and hope it works out.

I have since replaced the rubber or one so the buttons are like brand new, the other one still looks like the pic and is the one the mechanics used to get.