S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

K&N Series 63

Old 01-24-2008, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&N Series 63

Hi there,

i'm planning on purchasing a K&N FIPK. Their website says its not legal, at least not in CA. I know some guys running that kind of setup in cal (mainly in C5's), and they don't really seem to be concerned about potential consequences. has anybody an idea what the worst thing is that could happen running the FIPK even though it is not street legal ? i suppose the car can not be imponded or anything like that .....

cheers.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:47 PM

How would they find out? If that is the only mod you have, the police are not going to pop your hood when they pull you over. And even if they do, I doubt they know which intakes are CARB legal and which ones aren't.

I think in the worst case, you get a fix-it ticket. Just remember to take it off before smog. For what it's worth, I have the FIPK installed and I'm in CA, and I'm not concerned about the possible consequences at all
Old 01-24-2008, 04:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No it is not carb legal. The 57 series is though and they provide u with a sticker to show it is legal. They both look exactly the same. I guess it just depends on how strict the cop that pulls u over is.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:01 PM

Since K&N prioritizes flow over filtering, is this the best choice in the dusty San Joaquin Valley?
Old 01-24-2008, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by CalBear07,Jan 24 2008, 02:47 PM
How would they find out? If that is the only mod you have, the police are not going to pop your hood when they pull you over. And even if they do, I doubt they know which intakes are CARB legal and which ones aren't.

I think in the worst case, you get a fix-it ticket. Just remember to take it off before smog. For what it's worth, I have the FIPK installed and I'm in CA, and I'm not concerned about the possible consequences at all
Oh yes they will, our wonderful lawmakers here [thank you, steert racers] passed the "illeagle modified car" here in CA. law in 05'. A policeman can stop you and inspect your car to see if you have any "racing" mods done. And write you a citation. They are training policeman in what to look for. A loud exhaust is cause for a stop. I wont say what political party dreamed this up. You will have to guess.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:38 PM

The red flags are exhausts and no front plate.

There are tons of posts about guys having to pop their hoods. It happens a lot in the LA/OC/SD area.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:15 PM

My friend got pulled over for his exhaust a block from his house. Twice. It was too loud or something and he also got pulled over for his tint. They never asked to pop the hood though.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:37 PM

yea the 57 is carb legal and 63 is still not carb legal yet.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:49 AM

[QUOTE=oakfloor,Jan 24 2008, 08:06 PM] Oh yes they will, our wonderful lawmakers here [thank you, steert racers] passed the "illeagle modified car" law in 05'.
Old 01-25-2008, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by CalBear07,Jan 25 2008, 10:49 AM
That sentence was prefaced with if that is the only mod you have. I highly doubt that police officers are trained to somehow hear a CARB illegal intake. You could get pulled over for some other reason, e.g. loud exhaust, tinted windows, no front plate, etc. and then get your hood popped, but who knows what other mods the OP has, if any (for example, I have only the FIPK).

Anyway, he's not even asking about whether or not it's CARB legal (it's not). He's just asking what will happen if he somehow gets caught with it, and my best guess is just a fix-it ticket. If you are truly concerned, you could always just buy the old one, which has the CARB sticker.
I too doubt they would be able to differentiate between stock and after market intakes (sound wise). But I am sure once you are pulled over they can ask you to pop the hood.

Quick Reply: K&N Series 63