S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

K&N FIPK Gen II Model #57-3514

Old 03-18-2005, 08:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&N FIPK Gen II Model #57-3514

Has any one had any luck with this intake? Any performace problems resulting from it? Over-all opinion of it. Thanks
Old 03-18-2005, 09:03 AM

Just got it a couple weeks ago. I love it! The way it makes the engine sound under load and WOT is amazing. Throttle response is a little quicker and it does seem to pull a little harder before vtec. I bought it from crutchfield.com for $264 and free shipping. Install was quite easy but they have parts in it that the instructions do not mention what to do with but you will figure it out.
Old 03-18-2005, 10:10 AM

does this intake get heat soak? if it does is it noticable?
Old 03-18-2005, 10:38 AM

I don't know since it is still in the 40's by me. I am sure some hot air gets into the box but how much to have heat soak, I do not know.
Old 03-18-2005, 10:56 AM

Thanks for the detailed response dmcfan!!
Old 03-18-2005, 12:39 PM

No problem. The K&N uses the hood to seal up the box from the top. Where the heat will get in is the hole where the intake tube goes into the box as it is larger than the intake tube itself. There have been people that have insulated the box more but it is not, in my opinion, cosmetically appealing. Then again your hood is closed most of the time so maybe that doesn't matter to you. It has my vote as far cost, SOUND, and ease of install goes. To get an idea of what the sound will be like remove just the stock air lid and drive around. It is still not as cool as the K&N will sound but once you hear it with just the lid off, you will drive home and go order the K&N without hesitation.
Old 03-18-2005, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by dmcfan,Mar 18 2005, 04:39 PM
Where the heat will get in is the hole where the intake tube goes into the box as it is larger than the intake tube itself.
I am very pleased with K&N FIPK -

On my install I mounted the rubber ring - that you attach the filter to & that attaches to the intake tube - into the heat shield box - this forms a seal where the intake tube passes throught the box - I believe this is more efficient than the instructions that indicate there is an opening where the tube passes through the box.

YMMV

Old 03-18-2005, 01:54 PM

I have one on order. I bought it from hopup racing on March 1st and it's still not here! I have been promised for the last two days that "it is shipping today" and so far no tracking number. Needless to say I would not recomend hopupracing.com. The reason I went with them is because they had the lowest price I could find at the time which was 233. However... with shipping putting it up to 250 I would have been better off paying a few bucks more and avoiding this damn hassle.

Aside from that, I am eagerly awaiting the intake based on numerous positive things I have read on past threads. It was dyno'ed somewhere on this board and while peak horsepower only gained about 3 rwhp, the jump at vtec was pretty substantial... 8-10 hp? I think. If anyone else could post that thread that would be cool. I can't seem to find it.

Good luck, I'm sure you will enjoy it. I vote BUT IT!
Old 03-18-2005, 02:33 PM

I wonder if the ECU needs to be reset for the increased rate of air flow? Or does the computer correct this on its own?
Old 03-18-2005, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by oknessad,Mar 18 2005, 02:54 PM
I have one on order. I bought it from hopup racing on March 1st and it's still not here! I have been promised for the last two days that "it is shipping today" and so far no tracking number. Needless to say I would not recomend hopupracing.com. The reason I went with them is because they had the lowest price I could find at the time which was 233. However... with shipping putting it up to 250 I would have been better off paying a few bucks more and avoiding this damn hassle.
Oknessad - Don't worry, I just spoke to Steve and he said your FIPK has already went out. Steve @ Hop Up Racing is a good guy. He takes care of all his customers, trust me on this. It's tough with the import industry - a lot of things are on back order. I'm a whole distributor and ordered my FIPK from K&N roughly the same time you ordered yours and it hasn't arrived yet. But at least I know my FIPK should be in any minute now.

Has anyone here ran both Comptech and K&N FIPK in their AP? I would like to hear a good comparison between the two.

Quick Reply: K&N FIPK Gen II Model #57-3514