S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Just turned 16k miles on an 01

Old 07-29-2004, 10:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just turned 16k miles on an 01

Guys, I have a question...I have an 01 that I've owned from the get go and just turned 16k miles on it. I've been changing the oil very frequently (like every 2k miles), but haven't done anything else to it. It's mostly driven on the weekends and stored winters. When am I do for other fluids to be changed and other service...I appreciate any advice. I don't beat on the car at all and it's in great shape...thanks!!!
Old 07-29-2004, 10:37 AM

Just out of curiosity, why have you changed the oil every 2k miles? That is extreme overkill unless you are running at the track constantly.

I only have 18k on my 01.
Old 07-29-2004, 10:38 AM

Wow, thats some pretty extermely low mileage for an '01. Anyways, i just hit 15k on my '02, so i think we are basically in the same situation. If you are right about only changing the oil, then your maintenance light should be on right now. I would change the diff fluid and just do a check around your car to see if theres anything else that needs attention (brake fluids, tire tread, etc...). Should all be in the manual. Since you don't beat on your car like you say, you should be fine.
Old 07-29-2004, 11:30 AM

Tom,
I have an 00 and it has 14455 mi. I change oil evey 3000 mi. The car is stored during winters and is barely used during the summer. I change oil right before I store it and in Spring I use it for a couple hundred miles, then oil change. This past Spring, I decided to get the differential fluid, as well as, the transmission fluid changed. Both for a little bit over a $100 including tax at Motor Werks in Barrington, I thought it was a small price to pay. Talk to Ed Wong in MW. He will definitely take care of you. And while you are at it, check out the Bimmers, Porches, MB, Infinity, and of course the Honda's.
Old 07-29-2004, 11:41 AM

You guys do know that it's recommended to change the oil every 3 months as well as 3k miles. So if it sits that much, you might even not be changing the oil enough. But of course, I'm anal about oil changes, not sure if the 3 months thing is appropriate.
Old 07-29-2004, 12:00 PM

Impressive low mileage. You know what's more impressive? Driving it a hell of a lot more!

For oil changes and other fluids, you should either go by the mileage or time. So yes, oil changes are every 3,750 miles or every 3 months (according to the "severe" schedule). Road Rage recommends changing the brake fluid every two years (as opposed to 36 months per the manual).

I would also change the tranny fluid yearly (or sooner if you drove it more), and you may want to change the diff fluid (LE 607!) and get a new Hepa filter.
Old 07-29-2004, 12:22 PM

My 'rents have about 18K on there my00 it is in pristine condition !
Old 07-29-2004, 12:29 PM

Thanks for the replies. I know I have low mileage. Since I live in Chicago, my window for driving is much shorter than elsewhere. Get this, up until about a week ago I had only 12 miles on it. I just got back from a road trip to the grand canyon and vegas and now I have 16k miles. 4k miles in a single week!!! That's why I posed the question as I need to do an oil change right now...

Highlight of my trip...the drive from Vegas to Denver, if you ever have the chance to do it...you must!!!

I'm thinking next spring I'll change the tranny and diff fluids. Probably also hit the brake fluid while I'm at it...thanks again!!!
Old 07-29-2004, 12:29 PM

I would recommend changing all your fluids (coolant, tranny, differential, brake) at this point, especially if none of them have ever been changed.

BTW, 12300 on my MY00
Old 07-29-2004, 12:34 PM

Seriously....you folks really need to drive more. There is no prize for he who has the lowest milage. Your S's are probably crying right now...

Quick Reply: Just turned 16k miles on an 01