S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Just switched to Penzoil Syncromesh in tranny...

Old 03-21-2004, 07:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just switched to Penzoil Syncromesh in tranny...

I heard the Penzoil would be the same as the GM syncromesh, but at a lower cost. So I decided to change the tranny for this. In under 1000 miles of driving thus far, the tranny seems much more notchy since the switch. It just feels as if I'm breaking something when I'm going through the gears. Nowhere near the "buttery" smooth feeling others talk about. It was much smoother prior to switching the oil.

There has been no leaks and there is enough oil in the tranny.

I'm going to see how it is for a couple more days and may end up switching to something else
Old 03-21-2004, 08:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not say I told you so....but GMS and its generic imitators were not designed for this tranny - they were designed for specific Getrag and New Dimension gearboxes. Gearboxes are very sensitive to non-OE fluids - fool around all you want, but there are no miracles in a can. The principle operating issue is the lubricity of the fluid - too slippery or not slippery enough and the synchro action goes to hell. I just bought a bottle of Honda's MTF (the HG in the red top bottle) and compared it to the old MTL with the Blue top, tand they seem the same - a fortified oil with EP additives.
Old 03-21-2004, 08:05 AM

stick with honda mtf, you can't go wrong.
Old 03-21-2004, 08:08 AM

What was the part #? It should be the same as the GM stuff. 1234549. I tried it twice and didn't like the really short lifespan. Have you tried Redline MT-90 yet? Ever since I have used it, I have been content. Previously I have used Honda MTF, Redline MTL, GM synchromesh, Neo MTF, and finally the MT-90. If there was potentially another product that was superior, I would probably give it a try. We are still searching for the Holy Grail of tranny fluids.

This thread might get better response from the well-informed crowd (Ultimate Lurker, RT, Xviper, RoadRage.. etc) in Under The Hood Forum. Perhaps a moderator can move it for you
Old 03-21-2004, 09:47 AM

Liquid engineering?
Old 03-21-2004, 10:37 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Asura
What was the part #?
Old 03-21-2004, 12:33 PM

Thank you Road Rage and others for the replies. I'll probably switch back to Honda MTF. Should I do it ASAP? Do you think this penzoil syncromesh will hurt the tranny in any way if I leave it in for a little longer? I may do it soon..
Old 03-21-2004, 12:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there has been a lot of talk about the GM syncromesh..

I've stuck with stock OEM
Old 03-21-2004, 12:45 PM

I had the exact same results as you did Chitah. Tried it about a year and half ago (less than 300 miles) and won't ever put that crap in my tranny again.

Honda MTF has worked great with change intervals around 9000 miles.
Old 03-21-2004, 01:16 PM

Originally posted by Chitah831
Thank you Road Rage and others for the replies. I'll probably switch back to Honda MTF. Should I do it ASAP? Do you think this penzoil syncromesh will hurt the tranny in any way if I leave it in for a little longer? I may do it soon..
Thx for your courtesy.

I do not believe it will hurt the tranny - this is not an urgent switchout.

However, I would suggest double clutching this tranny on the first few 1-2 shifts when car is cold. I will post separately so look for that post if you do not know how to DC.

RR

Quick Reply: Just switched to Penzoil Syncromesh in tranny...