S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Just Received SS DC Headers

Old 08-11-2001, 01:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just Received SS DC Headers

I just received my SS DC headers from the the previous group buy and I must say that I am quite impressed with their quality. I know that everyone uses Mugen as the measuring stick for quality and performance, but I can't imagine such a difference in quality between the DC headers and the Mugen header. Although a performance gain on the DC headers has yet to be quantified, I believe that it will be a viable alternative to the Mugen or Spoon Headers. Don't get me wrong Mugen & Spoon makes damn good products, but in some cases I believe that they gouge the end user because of their good engineering reputation. In other words, those of you that may have been worried about the quality of a 425 dollar header vs that of the 1300 dollar Mugen header in my opinion those that purchased the DC header will be very pleased.
Old 08-11-2001, 01:56 PM

glad you like them
Old 08-11-2001, 04:17 PM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I sure would like to see an independent dyno result with the dc ss headers on an otherwise stock S.
Old 08-11-2001, 06:08 PM
S2R

Cool. Please hook us all up with a dyno as soon as you can.
Old 08-11-2001, 06:13 PM

shingles should be able to do that for us soon.
Old 08-11-2001, 06:22 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

12gage, a couple of things struck me with your post. Sure, Mugen makes some of the best Honda performance gear there is. But that doesn't mean that innovation doesn't take place by other companies. Mugen's line of S2000 goodies is impressive, but other stuff can work, as well. They have done a ton of R&D into their product offering and its performance benefits are well documented...

But my point is that there is no need to have what I perceived as an inferiority complex, of sorts. The bottom line is that you have to be happy with whatever choices that you make regardless of what anyone thinks. But most importantly, the piece that you are adding should have documented gains. Sure people respect Mugen for their research and their racing program, other companies may or may not have that, but if some other company develops something for the S2000 or any car, there should be some accounting of the benefit. This should be dyno charts...pure, objective dynos charts.

One more thing. Honda did a fantastic job with the stock exhaust manifold. If you remove the heatshield you will see a very well engineered piece. Bettering that manifold is difficult and takes a lot of research. I'm looking forward to see if DC or anyone else can tweek more power via the header. I had one header that actually lost 8-9 hp, so it's no easy task...it's not as simple as attaching tubes to a plate and crossing your fingers. It takes real and dedicated research...

Anyway, if you're happy with it...excellent! That's all that matters. Be happy with your purchase!
Old 08-11-2001, 07:55 PM

Gregg- I was just pointing out that the DC header seems to be a very quality piece from an assembly, materials and finsh standpoint. Ultimately, the validation of any product is the acceptance or enjoyment of that item by the end user. One can not make the assumption that dyno numbers are the only validation of a quality product. If I am not mistaken, there are several exhaust systems that don't produce any quantifiable advantage as far as power is concerned. For example, some users enjoy the look and the sound and could care less about any power advantages. I for one am anxious to see what gains if any I will receive from the header. I just posted because I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the DC header nothing more nothing less. Also it was meant to provide a little more information for those who may have had questions about the quality of materials on this header because of its reasonable price.
Old 08-11-2001, 08:35 PM

come friends, let's not argue over who is better. we call this customization for a reason, right? i mean, if everyone wanted the same thing, we'd have just one brand and that's it. i have the mugen exhaust coupled with the spoon header, and love the setup - even when i knew from vaportrail's tests the mugen exhaust made zero gains on the dyno, i still spent the bucks and got it. why? because it's the most quiet non-stock exhaust you can buy.
Old 08-11-2001, 10:34 PM

anxiously awaiting the dyno for this header....Shingles??