S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

just had an accident

Old 08-29-2005, 04:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just had an accident

so, after work, i was driving home from NYC, some idiot bumped on to my car when i stopped for a jackass cutting in front of me.
It was just a mild bumper to bumper hit. so i got out of the car, i see little bit of scratch and little round paint chip on my bumper. Driver who hit me was like " oh it will buff right out" and was trying to clean it off with his spit on his finger.
So i told him to **** off, and started to inspecting a car carefully.
And i noticed chip mark on the exhaust, which made me think it may caused a problem on exhast, so i stopped a cop passing me (its NYC, cop is everywhere)
and let him handle it.

However, i kinda felt bad for the driver who hit me cuz a jackass who cut me caused the problem in busy street. so i agreed not to file a accident report yet, but later if he doesn't cooperate with me. and cop did little information note taking for me so he can't back off on me. So i'll be gettin a car checked up tomorrow what are the things to fix to bring my 3weeks old baby like new.

Here is the problem. After all that, when i was driving home, i could instantly feel the loss of power throughout power band. car was barely accelarating in 1st gear compare to pre accident. And i VTEC wasn't there to feel, i mean, if i down shift and go over 6500rpm or so i could feel a little of power rush, but not as i did before.

Any expert guys out there think hit on exhaust caused this flat out power?
its just too damn slow right now. and what would be the procedure on fixing it?

and second question is my car is leased, and by taking my car to dealership to fix it back would cause any hassle on me?

What do you guys think i should do? i don't want to take my car to any unknown shop to fix my car, all i can think is dealership would be the best way since im not paying for it.

Please help fast!
Old 08-29-2005, 04:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i really think the loss of power is in your head, unless the hit was hard enought and direct enough to cause a 'kink' in the piping of the exhaust, blocking airflow. Avoid the dealer for actual repairs. rather, call them and ask who their 'authorized repair shop' is. then go there. (dealers rarely do body work). Get a full estimate, give it to the guy.

I recommend go thru his insurance though. If it turns out there IS mech damage after they start repairs, you'd be hard pressed to get more money outta the guy. If i were you, just call his insurance company.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:52 PM

thx for fast reply

im really sure that its not my head that thinks its slow.
car really barely accelerate up in 1st gear. I FLOOR THE GAS.
you know, and i know how it feels like to floor the gas at 1st gear.

And if i go through the insurance, am i going to pay anything on my insurance? cuz i don't want to pay anything or raise on my insurance.

thx.
Old 08-29-2005, 05:10 PM

Sorry, but look at it this way...
You are required to pay insurance premiums in order to own/drive a car.
Paying for insurance sucks.. It is such a scam.

Quit being all friendly and get your car back to pre-accident shape. I know you want to be a nice guy and all, that's good, but 10:1 if you reversed roles and hit him you'd be fearing the consequences.

Don't try to pull any fast ones, extra work, different parts, etc. out of the deal. Just get it back to yesterday's condition. I don't know the insurance laws in your state, but unless it is a no-fault state, you aren't going to be paying.

Doesn't matter the circumstances, the driver that hit from behind is at full fault. He was on your ass! Save him from continuing to do it.

Oh yeah, if it's just the exhaust tip.. that's not much of a repair. I can't offer any help on the exhaust without pics or anything, but based on the height of the S, I'm assuming his car had more ground clearance and hit you either mid license plate height or above. The only possibility I can think of is maybe the bumper flexed and gave it a push? But that kind of force is more than a chip.

Really sorry to hear about the story though. Good luck and just be fair. You do have the right to having the car back to its standing before the fender bender.
Old 08-29-2005, 05:21 PM

thx, hit was on the exhaust tip and bumper area right next to it ( where it shapes in). cuz you guys know how civic bumper is sorta pointy on the bottom.
Old 08-29-2005, 05:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i also think the loss of power is in your head, but if you say so, jack up the car and see if there are any unusual bends in the exhaust piping. just damaging the tip won't cause you to lose power, and i imagine it would take a big impact to deform your exhaust to the point where the car feels that dramatically different.

wow, that sucks, i just saw you have an 05 brand new car.

i say take it up with his insurance.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:31 PM

ok, update on damage, i went out and drove car again cooling off my head, but still find no acceleration in 1st gear up to 4000rpm.
maybe its still my head, but i found that exhaust has shifted to left about half inch. if any experts(i should say mechanic) tells me that this kind of thing doesn't effect any performance, i'll think it that is just my head. Not that i don't believe you guys, but you know...its only 3 weeks old and i want everything to be perfect ....

thx for inputs guys! and sorry to be such a pussy on believing things.