S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Just Got Low Balled

Old 06-10-2005, 06:35 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You could also finance to make the deal sweeter. Just make sure there are no prepayment penalties. The dealer would be easier to sway in that case. Then when the first payment comes, call up the bank financing the loan and ask for the payoff and pay the total amount.

It happened at my Toyota dealer. Nice and all getting me a killer price on a new Camry for the wife. Tried to make up for $$$ by screwing me on the interest rate and blaming it on the wife's lack of a credit history.

Went to my credit union a few weeks later and got the interest knocked down 10% and refinanced through them.

TMCC and the dealer were not pleased, I tell you.
Old 06-10-2005, 07:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have emails of an agreed upon price and when you go into the dealership, this price was inflated for whatever scumbag reason they conjure up, I would show the printed email to the fleet manager. If they still don't sell it to you at that price, I'd file a complaint with the BBB. No one wants a complaint hanging over their head from the BBB. Especially a dealership. And you even have proof.
Old 06-10-2005, 09:10 AM

I find there are always plenty of people willing to sell you a car at a high price. As a buyer, the final price depends on how hard you want to look for it. It's a convenience trade-off. Pay list and get what you want when you want with no haggling. The lower you get the more work you end up putting into it. IMO, every deal is worth the effort.
Old 06-10-2005, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by littlerocket777,Jun 10 2005, 07:53 AM
If you have emails of an agreed upon price and when you go into the dealership, this price was inflated for whatever scumbag reason they conjure up, I would show the printed email to the fleet manager. If they still don't sell it to you at that price, I'd file a complaint with the BBB. No one wants a complaint hanging over their head from the BBB. Especially a dealership. And you even have proof.
I plan on it. I have already talked to the GM and chewed his ear off for an hour....he says he will see if he can make the deal for me...yea sure buddy im holding my breath. But unfortunately this was a phone conversation so there is no record. They wouldnt give me the dealership owners name howerever i am looking into finding that now. (figure i can request it from the town at the very least). Been calling around and there are a lot of silver ones but its hard to find the red/blk interior which i love. Calling the BBB and filling a complaint and I am also gonna contact the attorney general and inform them. Whatever i can do to get that guy fired or cause them to lose business i will do.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Crisis,Jun 10 2005, 09:10 AM
I find there are always plenty of people willing to sell you a car at a high price. As a buyer, the final price depends on how hard you want to look for it. It's a convenience trade-off. Pay list and get what you want when you want with no haggling. The lower you get the more work you end up putting into it. IMO, every deal is worth the effort.
Thats why i walked out on it. I will get the car i want and i will pay the price i want. If it requires me to wait till there is snow on the ground then i will wait but i know what the car can be had for and i will not pay more than that. ESPECIALLY when everyone here is talking about how sales are down 30%. Now maybe i get a better deal.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by mooky928,Jun 10 2005, 10:57 AM
I plan on it. I have already talked to the GM and chewed his ear off for an hour....he says he will see if he can make the deal for me...yea sure buddy im holding my breath. But unfortunately this was a phone conversation so there is no record. They wouldnt give me the dealership owners name howerever i am looking into finding that now. (figure i can request it from the town at the very least). Been calling around and there are a lot of silver ones but its hard to find the red/blk interior which i love. Calling the BBB and filling a complaint and I am also gonna contact the attorney general and inform them. Whatever i can do to get that guy fired or cause them to lose business i will do.
Keep your eye on the prize. Promote the salesguys misery after you have found your car.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by jasonw,Jun 9 2005, 03:32 PM
What? I don't get what happened...

Stop talking to salespeople on the showroom floor and call the internet sales/fleet manager directly. You should be able to do better than $30k w/dest. charge. It would be alot easier if you sell your civic on your own. Or just offer it to them once the deal is sealed on the S. Be prepared to turn down their offer on the civic.
Tell it like it is.

Seriously, if people don't understand how to buy/sell a car, then they should do a little bit of research at edmunds.com or something. They have great tips. The answers are out there.

Some may argue that selling your old car privately is a hassle. But it wasn't a hassle at all by calculating TMV via edmunds, and then listing via cars.com - when I sold my last car, the young woman who showed up to take a look at, already did her own calculations and had her TMW in hand. We both had a clue. We compared notes, made adjustments, and the transaction went smoothly. It was a win-win situation. Without hassle.

Of course, maybe some people can afford to throw money away by trading it in to a dealer?

Remember: we have the Internet. So why not harness that power to our advantage? "Use the tools, don't be one", so to speak.
Old 06-11-2005, 04:28 AM

Hey Mooky!

I totally understand your situation. I went through the same thing. My take on it is that it isn't really the dealership at fault but the damn scumbag salesperson.

I've been to Danbury Fair, Courtney and Curtis Ryan over the years on honda vehicles. I had good and bad experiences with all these dealers. What I suggest is talking to the internet sales manager. When I got my S I found it to be night and day with a salesperson vs internet sales manager.

I bought my S at Danbury fair with Tom M-something internet sales guy. I started by E-mailing dealerships I received responses about willingness to make deals. Obviously I had to peel back the layers of BS on that and actually called the Internet Sales person and asked what they had on the lot. After getting the info on S2000s that I was interested I went and talked personally to the internet sales managers.

When I was just coming off the street and talking to the regular salespeople the deal that was mostly given to me was $1500 off MSRP but when I talked to the internet salesperson they were taking a lot more off. During a few visits I think the main car manager in the corner office didn't like this internet sales stuff. hint: they don't make much on internet sales.

Anyway back on topic. Tom M-something Internet Sales Manager from Danbury fair was fair and honest. Of course I already had all the info on financing, real invoice, and any other kickbacks to Honda from the dealer. Those guys didn't know what was coming to them. Armed with that knowledge I sat back and heard his pitch. Of course I didn't bite because I never make a deal on the first offer. I had also a few other things going for me. It was winter and last days of the year.

After a few back and forth sessions of haggling with the Internet salesperson, the corner office manager was pretty fumming, red in the face lets say. In the end I walked out with 2500 off MSRP and fully loaded S. Loaded because it was one of the cars you know they put in the showroom for like $5k more than MSRP because they put a spoiler on it and a few other goodies to sucker a buyer into purchasing them.

Good Luck on getting your S and keep us posted in the New England forum.
Old 06-11-2005, 05:55 PM
XTC

Try using this dealers MY05 price to get the deal you want;
Henessey Honda
I called and spoke with the sales manager and the price is good at $30299.
Old 06-13-2005, 06:35 AM

Hey paivag I did talk to Tom at Danbury. He is the gm. He offerend me an alright deal however I know the car can be had for less and especially when the 06 is right around the corner and some dealers still have 04's on the lot. For now I am still calling around trying to locate the car i want. That red\blk interior is hard to find.