S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Just Got Low Balled

Old 06-09-2005, 05:48 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

^ In actual dollars, you're usually right, Jason. However, you have to factor in the fact that you need to do the selling yourself, and that's a hassle.
Old 06-09-2005, 06:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep. That's why I said you have to decide if the time saved is worth the money lost.
Old 06-09-2005, 06:32 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

And dont forget to factor in the taxes that you save by trading in.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by rijowysock,Jun 9 2005, 08:04 PM
i was simply saying..

if i have all CASH and i private sell my car for 11 i could go to the main fleet manager/head of dealership and the car would (normally being 22k) would be around 19k

CASH UNDER TABLE with like a small $ on the title

BUT: if i traded in my civic.. i would ask for more... and therefore couldnt negotiate the S price (cause if i give mine to them cheaper... they wont wanna lower price.. because itl be 'them" making more $)
the S would end up costing me 22k (full amount)

now do you understand my math

if i go somewhere with 19k CASH... the main guy would say.. "hey why should i claim this.." put 9900 on title and pocket the rest or w/e.

but if i go somewhere with a car and only 9k cash.. they would say "were gonna rip this guy a new asshole because hes trying to sell us his civic.. lets charge him 22k for car regardless.. therefor id ask for more on my tradein
Actually...there really isn't as much incentive for the dealership on a cash deal as you might think. Most dealerships make very little money on the actual sale of cars. There is a narrow margin on the car sales, but they pad that with the money they make off of financing kickbacks, parts, and service.

The more variables you remove from the deal the more rigid the dealership will be on the prcie of the car. I.E. when you pay cash OTD it is a cut and dry deal. The opposite scenario being someone wanting to trade a used car on a new one and finance the difference. The latter scenario gives the dealership the most profitability.

Your idea of the dealer claiming only a few thousand on the title and pocketing the rest under the table isn't very realistic unless the dealer only paid a few thousand for the car to start with. Most dealerships aren't gonna buy an S for $18k, and then claim to sell it for only $10k...at least not if they are concerned with tax fraud.

To Mooky826...regardless of what actually went down, you did the right thing...you left without succombing to an unfavorable deal. ALWAYS leave a dealership happy...as the customer YOU are in control of what happens.

You will find a sweet deal and get yourself an S! Just be strong and patient!

Craig
Old 06-09-2005, 11:54 PM
wj4

off topic guys but do u think its possible to get an s2000 for $30,000 out the door? im thinking of buying a new 05 model and trade in my 04 accord for it. thanks a lot
Old 06-10-2005, 12:24 AM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Save the trouble, buy from hardtopguy or Poindexter pr Blair Morrow for that matter.
Old 06-10-2005, 03:41 AM

JAXrsx is right. You were looking for a car when you walked in and you should be prepared to be looking for one when you walk out. And if you walk don't look back.
Old 06-10-2005, 05:14 AM
WPS

www.dealerrater.com
Old 06-10-2005, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by JAXrsx,Jun 9 2005, 11:41 PM
The more variables you remove from the deal the more rigid the dealership will be on the prcie of the car. I.E. when you pay cash OTD it is a cut and dry deal. The opposite scenario being someone wanting to trade a used car on a new one and finance the difference. The latter scenario gives the dealership the most profitability.
My brother-in-law recently bought an MDX and he gave me a car buying tip. To get the absolutely lowest price he told the dealer he would finance the car rather than paid all cash. He said the dealer would sell at a lower price if you finance rather than paid cash. When the first payment arrives he paid off the whole loan thus paying very little in interest.
Old 06-10-2005, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by wj4,Jun 10 2005, 12:54 AM
off topic guys but do u think its possible to get an s2000 for $30,000 out the door? im thinking of buying a new 05 model and trade in my 04 accord for it. thanks a lot
Yes. If you don't have sales tax...

Quick Reply: Just Got Low Balled