S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Just got back from my dealer about spark plug TSB

Old 07-17-2002, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got back from my dealer about spark plug TSB

Well, I just got back from my dealer about TSB 02-042 (S2000 spark plugs). Before I went, I had talked with my service team leader and explained what the TSB was about, since they had no idea about it. I told them I understood that they didn't have the parts in for it yet, but I just wanted them to check my spark plugs to make sure they were all tight. I know I can check them myself, but I just wanted them to do it.

After leaving my car with them, 5 minutes later they had my car back to me. The mechanic (backed by the service team leader) told me he couldn't check my plugs tightness, because I hadn't received a letter from Honda yet! I mean, I didn't want anything replaced, just checked.

When I explained that there has been a problem, they told me the worst that could happen was that the plug would come lose and cause a misfire and that the Check Engine light would come on. They insisted that was the absolute worse thing that could happen. I tried to explain that a few S2000 owners had much worse things happen, but the mechanic told me it was flat out impossible for the spark plug to come loose or cause any damage. They were also very concerned about where I got a copy of the TSB!! LOL I had to keep showing it to them so they could read it over. The mechanic said that this was a recall, not just a bulletin....

So, could anyone who have had a spark plug problem leading to engine damage either write their story here or PM me? The dealer was practically calling me a liar, and I would like to have a little proof before I go back and talk to the service manager and general manager.

Thanks all, I know this has been discussed in another thread or two, but I just wanted to get all the stories in one place...
Old 07-17-2002, 02:09 PM

Thanks to Jason Somers' post, I was able to get a full size
print-out of the TSB. Thanks again Jason.

I called my Honda dealer service dept. this morning. They were
not familiar with the TSB, but had a copy in their system
which they printed out. I explained that I had not actually
received my letter but I had a copy of the TSB as well as the
letter.

I explained that my S2000, purchased from them, at the beginning
of April had about 3,000 miles on it, and that I wanted to
take care of this ASAP.

The service rep said she needed to check with the parts
dept to see if they had the replacements in stock and would
call me back. She was totally professional and was not at
all concerned with the fact that I did not actually have the letter.
She indicated that they wanted to get my problem taken care
of ASAP also.

About an hour later I got a call back from the same service rep
I had spoken with earlier. She had been in touch with Honda
directly, and the parts had been allocated to the dealers, but
had not shipped yet. She indicated that it would be a couple
of days before the dealership received the parts. At no time
did she ask about a letter. She made it clear that getting this
done right away was the important thing to them.

We'll see what happens in the next couple of days, and I will
post an update, but so far I am pleased with the responsiveness
and professionalism of the dealer.

BTW, I asked about my first oil change, since I had not done
that yet. She indicated that 3750 miles is what they recommend,
but that they would schedule the oil change at the same time
they take care of the spark plugs.

My S2K has been a joy so far, with absolutely no problems
from day one. I took delivery of the car from the dealer with
11 miles on it, and from the moment I slipped behind the wheell
I have been totally thrilled with the car.
Old 07-17-2002, 02:11 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Add one more to the tally of "dumbass dealers".
I would suggest a search but I don't have much luck with the new search engine. You might try "#4 cylinder failure" or something like this and see what turns up. I distinctly remember 2 maybe 3 people on this board who had this happen. I just can't remember the names. Perhaps if you start a new thread with a more descriptive title, it will catch their attention.
Old 07-17-2002, 02:43 PM

Regarding loose spark plugs, gregstevens had this problem awhile back. Read more at:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...?threadid=29418

There have been others with the same type of problem (maybe not quite as severe). Do a search on "loose" and "spark plug"...
Old 07-17-2002, 03:07 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by landefam
[B]BTW, I asked about my first oil change, since I had not done
that yet.
Old 07-17-2002, 03:18 PM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My understanding in all of this is that the SPark Plug issue is not a true TSB, but really a Recall. Honda is required to mail out Recall Notices to all buyers of the S2000's. This way, the folks here online are not the only benefactors!

I spoke with the Honda service manager today and he said that Honda will be allocating these "kits" to dealers. He said that the dealership originally ordered 6 "kits" because they know of about 5 or so S2000's in the area that would need this fix.

I was not told to wait on a letter but I'm sure that Honda knows what they are doing in regard to this matter. We are always a bit extreme with Honda and it's a shame to see. I feel that Honda genuinely wants to help all of it's customers but we also need to be understanding of launch times and so on in regards to Recall Notices and the like.

Again, the service manager assured me that when the "kits" arrive, they'll be sure to call on me.
Old 07-17-2002, 03:34 PM

I'm glad to see there are a few good dealers/service departments out there. My main complaint was that they could have checked my spark plugs, just for my peace of mind and just to have a very satisfied customer....
Old 07-17-2002, 03:51 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RJ_S2K
[B]

For the S2000, Honda recommends the first oil change be done at 7500 miles (not 3750 miles) because the factory oil has special additives to help the rings seat properly.
Old 07-17-2002, 04:19 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by xviper
[B]
When was this update issued?
Old 07-17-2002, 04:39 PM

Originally posted by Luft46
I'm glad to see there are a few good dealers/service departments out there. My main complaint was that they could have checked my spark plugs, just for my peace of mind and just to have a very satisfied customer....

You are absolutely, 100% correct about this. You - - we - - are the customer(s), and the service
department should be dedicated to CUSTOMER SATISFACTION. In this case, checking your
spark plugs, simply because you requested it. You need no explanaton for your request,
you want them to check out your car, they should do it, no questions asked.

Quick Reply: Just got back from my dealer about spark plug TSB