S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Just Curious About Our Rotors....

Old 03-24-2003, 12:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just Curious About Our Rotors....

Hello all -

I am thinking about different wheel options, and one thing a friend of mine mentioned had me thinking. He said "I love your car, especially for the money. It is awesome". Of course, I was fully prepared for the 'but', and sure enough - "But, why are your brakes so rusty? You would think a car like this would have been treated to prevent that sort of thing..." I didn't really have an answer.

I know there have been a few threads talking about iron content in the rotors, etc., and that is purely a cosmetic thing. My question is this: For those of you who have gone with aftermarket rims, especially rims that have a pattern that really exposes the brake rotors, have you left you stock rotors alone? Have you bought aftermarket rotors that are cadmium plated, etc.? I wouldn't mind buying an aftermarket set, but after potentially spending over $2,500 in rims and tires, I really don't want to spend another $1,000 for rotors, knowing how good my stock ones perform...

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance for your input....
Old 03-24-2003, 01:01 PM

I just ordered spugen's slotted and drilled rotors. They have cadmium plating also. I have 18" rims and the rusty rotors looked terrible behind them. Also, the front rotors are vented so water goes in between and leaves rust stains on the rim.

Btw-Group buy was $480.00 w/shipping and pads
Old 03-24-2003, 01:04 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rateds2k
[B]I just ordered spugen's slotted and drilled rotors.
Old 03-24-2003, 02:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

actually mastergrade has a set of all 4 rotors drilled/slotted for about 380-450 shipped as well with pads I believe.... the only thing that kept me from buying is the posts here about mastergrade... but it seems like his reputation for good service is getting better...
Old 03-25-2003, 06:48 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sleepy
[B]

Wow - I never even thought about the rust actually staining the rims - no good! I assume the $480 for all four corners? I'll have to keep my eyes open for another GB.
Old 03-25-2003, 06:58 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The other option that I have seen is to paint the rotors black. Obviously you need to tape off the pad surface area, but the results were impressive. It's cheap and can be done by yourself. Time consuming, but inexpensive.
Old 03-25-2003, 07:05 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gomarlins3
[B]The other option that I have seen is to paint the rotors black.
Old 03-25-2003, 07:09 AM

This bugged me from the beginning, I made the dealer make a note when I picked up the car in case it was unusual.

But the painting concept made me think of using Rust Converter! That would turn those locations black, perhaps inhibit future corrosion and could readily be done when replacing pads for low cost (and wouldn't require the same level of prep as painting would).

The only bummer not being able to treat "inside" the venting effectively...

Any thoughts?

Randy
Old 03-25-2003, 07:10 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The example I saw of this had been painted down into the slots.
Old 03-25-2003, 07:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I replace my rotors each spring because of track use. In the fall I buy new rotors, clean them and paint the inside of the vanes with a high temp silver paint. No more rust on the inside of the wheels for me.

Just go to a good automotive paint store and ask them for their BEST high temp paint.

Quick Reply: Just Curious About Our Rotors....