S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

JDM vs. Euro headlight housings!

Old 02-02-2002, 12:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shaner: IF I buy the euro housing, what problems do I have to deal with? I know the bulbs are going to be one problem, but is that all? I didn't really understand what you meant in another thread about the Euro headlights...
Old 02-02-2002, 01:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Guys!

On Sunday I am meeting Ronald and Maarten (both with EU spec S2000s) in the Netherlands with my (US spec) S2000 and I was already planning on putting the question "pattern differences" to bed; I'll take pictures of both LHD patterns on the wall!
Old 02-02-2002, 02:26 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

how about if i dont want the notched look anymore and order one side JDM and the other Euro!!!???
are they different other than the side of the notch?
Old 02-02-2002, 02:49 PM
Former Sponsor

The European, JDM, and US headlamps differ in the following ways:

JDM/right hand drive: beam pattern set for right hand drive, which will blind oncoming drivers in the US, since the pattern aims upward to the left side. This problem can be corrected through adjustment, but it can never be competely corrected to match the correct pattern for left hand drive without taking the lamp assembly apart and switching the metal cut-off plates that determine the cut off and notch in the beam throw. The JDM turn signal socket is bigger than the US and is designed for a bayonet mount bulb, so the US turn signal socket will not fit this lamp.

European/left hand drive: Same beam pattern as the US (for left hand drive), but HID lamp sockets have attachment for self-leveling motor and turn signal sockets are same as JDM: bayonet mount. So US turn signal sockets will not fit these either. These are the lamps I strongly recommend for use in the US, since the beam pattern is designed for left hand drive and can be correctly adjusted. Use of these in the US requires JDM turn signal sockets (without them, you have to glue the too-small US socket in place) and a leveling adjustment device ( to fill in for the leveling motor required by law in Europe). The leveling device is sold by MG Racing (the principal source for the Eurpean lamps in the US and a board sponsor). We sell the JDM turn signal sockets, and are also now making them available to MG Racing to sell with the European lamps.

US: Designed for left hand drive and has no self-leveling feature. Turn signal sockets are designed to hold wedge bulb and are too small for JDM or European housings.

In every other respect -- basic design, materials, quality, etc -- the housings are exactly the same.

If you're going to buy clear corner lamps, the clear and best choice are the European housings, not the JDMs, because the cut-off pattern is correct for left hand drive. Contact Tim Hamm at MG Racing. I don't think yoiur'll find the lamps on MG RAcing's web site, so email Tim if you're interested.
Old 02-02-2002, 07:26 PM

So basically if I want the Euro housing all I have to do is buy the self leveling mechanism and the bayonet bulbs from you? Is the self leveling mechanism required? What if I don't have it?
Old 02-03-2002, 06:23 AM

Just as long as you get a LHD housing (irrespective of country), it will have the correct beam pattern for the US. With the Euro housing, you will need a custom bracket in place of the self leveling system. You could install the self leveling system if you wanted to but that would be a bit more work (and expense).
Old 02-03-2002, 09:20 AM

I think shaner tried installing the self-leveling sysem on our US cars, didn't work or fit or something.
Shaner????
Old 02-03-2002, 12:19 PM

If anyone is interested: I can confirm that the HID light patterns of EU lights are exactly the same as those of US cars! Checked it today, no pictures necessary, it's very clear!

Siepel
Old 02-03-2002, 03:21 PM

socal,

I purchased the leveling motors (to be able to aim the Euro-spec housings without a custom-fix) but never purchased the additional pieces to "auto-level". The best I did was to hook the motors up to a switch for remote leveling. I have since sold those motors and Euro-housings to a friend. I am using stock-US housings with Euro-clear lenses inserted. This way I get turn signal bulb compatability and stock US leveling with the normal "screw"... If I am too confusing, just let me know
Old 03-27-2002, 09:15 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by shaner
[B]socal,

I purchased the leveling motors (to be able to aim the Euro-spec housings without a custom-fix) but never purchased the additional pieces to "auto-level".

Quick Reply: JDM vs. Euro headlight housings!