S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

JDM vs. Euro headlight housings!

Old 02-01-2002, 04:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let's get one thing straight here!
JDM headlight housings are NOT the same as the Euro headlight housings!
The beam pattern is notched differently between the two. The JDM, the left side beam pattern is higher than the right and opposite on the Euro housings. Basically, the Euro housings beam pattern is the EXACT same as US models.
Is this true for sure???? or am I just wasting bandwidth and space here????
If true, why would anybody want JDM housings? Cheaper??? Don't give a damn about the beam pattern and on-coming cars effect???
I'm just trying to understand why people are specifically asking for JDM housings.
Shaner, GregStevens, Tims2k or Rick Hesel, can you verify this for sure???
Thanks, just want to clarify the difference once and for all!
Old 02-01-2002, 05:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by socal28
Let's get one thing straight here!
It depends on which country you include in "Euro", some people feel that the United Kingdom is also part of the greater European community.

To say it correctly, the LHD headlight housing is NOT the same as the RHD headlight housings!

Some European countries use LHD and other European countries use RHD. The US happens to use RHD while Japan happens to use LHD.
Old 02-01-2002, 05:16 PM

Thanks WhiteS2k!
That's what I meant when I said Euro.
Old 02-01-2002, 05:26 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by socal28
[B]Thanks WhiteS2k!
Old 02-01-2002, 09:56 PM

I've been wondering what the exact difference was also. Can someone elaborate on this? Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the European headlamps fit the US spec but the problem is in the turn signal right? I heard it uses a different socket. And JDM is totally different right? Can someone please clarify!
Old 02-02-2002, 12:24 AM

The Beams are adjustable, so LHD or RHD you can set where you want the notched pattern.
Old 02-02-2002, 02:10 AM
Former Sponsor

[QUOTE]Originally posted by socal28
[B]Let's get one thing straight here!
The beam pattern is notched differently between the two.
Old 02-02-2002, 02:53 AM

Originally posted by Blk01S2k
The Beams are adjustable, so LHD or RHD you can set where you want the notched pattern.
How can you adjust the notched pattern without taking it out completely and reversing the notched plate in the projector lamp? I know you can adjust the height level on each side, but that's still not changing the notch.
Just curious, maybe you found it differently.
Old 02-02-2002, 02:57 AM

glue the bulbs in? yikes, i was lucky enough to get a pair of euro bulb sockets along with my euro headlights, they plug directly into the us wiring harness and use 1156 bulbs instead of the 7440 wedge bulbs
Old 02-02-2002, 11:57 AM

Here is a picture of the metal insert that creates "the cutoff" in our lighting system:

(in actual use, the cutoff mask is upside-down because the convex lense in front of the projector light inverts the cutoff)

The cutoff if lower on the left and higher on the right... for LHD countries. Both cutoffs are the same with the right projector being aimed a little higher (the combination of the two beams cause the total staggered beam). The RHD light housings (as in the JDM-spec housings) should have projector cutoffs that are higher on the left than on the right... so the entire staggering of the beams will be opposite to our beams (high on the left low on the right).

You could compensate for this opposite notching by lowering the left aim and rasing the right beam but the notching will no longer match.

So, moral of the story: purchase housings from countries that drive on the right side of the road with the driver sitting in the left seat...

Quick Reply: JDM vs. Euro headlight housings!